Are self driving cars the future of transportation?.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2014, 4:57 pm

In general I feel like the world doesn't give a rat's ass about people with impairments. That being said I was surprised to hear Ford may be working on cars that could enable people with seizure disorders to drive.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/12/ford- ... he-future/

What do you think about these technological advancements?. If I could move to a more rural area and commute to the city my disability would stretch a lot further. I'm looking forward to it, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 11:20 pm

Firstly, self driving cars would help a lot of people out.
Secondly , it would also probably reduce death rates associated with driving.

However, some hybrid and electric cars today can be remotely hacked, controlled, and then have the evidence of the hijacking removed remotely.
Essentially, I'm worried about the security software installed on a self driving car. There are many more vulnerabilities on a self-driving car.
A terrorist, or an angry computer scientists could cause quite a bit of trouble with things like that.

Regardless, I would love to see the technology appear.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2014, 11:54 pm

KITT! A car that monitors its driver's vital signs! Alrighty, sign me up!
(I have POTS with severe tachycardia at times, so a car that monitors my HR would be awesome. Even better if it summons an ambulance if I get over a certain HR!)

(course I'm dreaming here, I couldn't afford such a car :P )

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 7:05 am

They'd better not DARE penalise people via higher insurance for driving the "old" way. The only electric car I'd ever consider buying is a Tesla, but they're still wildly impractical when it comes to long distance driving. They're the kinda car you can't take more than 200km out of town and back because they don't have enough charge (yet all the advertising shows the cars on long open roads in the wilderness, talk about misleading)

These self driving cars sound good if you're the kind of person who treats driving as a chore and just does it to get from A to B. For everyone else who drives for leisure they just seem like lifeless fun suckers.

And any bet there will be some catch to them. Even those cars that claim to park themselves come with a legal disclaimer.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 1:31 pm

I think a car that has the ability to drive itself is a great idea in a few ways, mainly being someone who has had a bit too much to drink or is sleep-deprived can still get in their cars and go to where they need to go, even if they want to drive themselves but the car won't let them. As little blue jay said, sign me up for a car like KITT, I'd love to have my car interact with me as a friend where how it is now that is all in my head. :roll:

However as an auto-enthusiast I like being able to get behind the wheel of my own car and drive myself and not having the car in complete control. I think the most ideal thing is a vehicle where you can operate it and switch it to 'auto-pilot' if you want. No amount of computer sensors can replace human instinct and experience.

I see the benefits of incorporating computer technology into what seems like everything, but there is no tried and true method of keeping information safe from unauthorized users and information that was once kept personal is now stored on something someone halfway around the world with the right know-how can gain access to. Before we really start venturing into this concept, we need to develop a computer code of ethics, which I don't think we've quite done yet.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 1:44 pm

AspergersActor8693 wrote:
I think a car that has the ability to drive itself is a great idea in a few ways, mainly being someone who has had a bit too much to drink or is sleep-deprived can still get in their cars and go to where they need to go, even if they want to drive themselves but the car won't let them. As little blue jay said, sign me up for a car like KITT, I'd love to have my car interact with me as a friend where how it is now that is all in my head. :roll:

However as an auto-enthusiast I like being able to get behind the wheel of my own car and drive myself and not having the car in complete control. I think the most ideal thing is a vehicle where you can operate it and switch it to 'auto-pilot' if you want. No amount of computer sensors can replace human instinct and experience.

I see the benefits of incorporating computer technology into what seems like everything, but there is no tried and true method of keeping information safe from unauthorized users and information that was once kept personal is now stored on something someone halfway around the world with the right know-how can gain access to. Before we really start venturing into this concept, we need to develop a computer code of ethics, which I don't think we've quite done yet.

We do have a code of ethics... There used to be a code of ethics... there still is a code of ethics. Hackers and pirates have their own rule of morality that they follow with conviction.
The Conscience of a Hacker

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2014, 6:43 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Firstly, self driving cars would help a lot of people out.
Secondly , it would also probably reduce death rates associated with driving.

However, some hybrid and electric cars today can be remotely hacked, controlled, and then have the evidence of the hijacking removed remotely.
Essentially, I'm worried about the security software installed on a self driving car. There are many more vulnerabilities on a self-driving car.
A terrorist, or an angry computer scientists could cause quite a bit of trouble with things like that.

Regardless, I would love to see the technology appear.

Good point lol. The first thing I thought of when I read this article was Ghost in the Shell Arise :D

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2014, 6:46 pm

blue_bean wrote:
They'd better not DARE penalise people via higher insurance for driving the "old" way. The only electric car I'd ever consider buying is a Tesla, but they're still wildly impractical when it comes to long distance driving. They're the kinda car you can't take more than 200km out of town and back because they don't have enough charge (yet all the advertising shows the cars on long open roads in the wilderness, talk about misleading)

These self driving cars sound good if you're the kind of person who treats driving as a chore and just does it to get from A to B. For everyone else who drives for leisure they just seem like lifeless fun suckers.

And any bet there will be some catch to them. Even those cars that claim to park themselves come with a legal disclaimer.

I agree with this. However the world is far too densely populated for everyone to have fun like they used to without endangering someone else. Add to that the neglect of rational thinking the new generation embodies. I see a future with pay-per-fun centers everywhere lol. Or even worse simulations for all fun things.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 6:53 pm

Onyxaxe wrote:
blue_bean wrote:

I agree with this. However the world is far too densely populated for everyone to have fun like they used to without endangering someone else. Add to that the neglect of rational thinking the new generation embodies. I see a future with pay-per-fun centers everywhere lol. Or even worse simulations for all fun things.

I have 26 of those simulators... they are known as game consoles... Honestly, it already seems that many things are being regulated to gaming as the only way to economically enjoy those things.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 4:30 pm

Yipi! self driving cars. I also want to live in a rural area and am stuck in the city because of jobs. There'll be less car accidents, much much less. and also I dont know how to drive and cant concentrate for more than fifteen minutes, so...

yes! self driving cars will be the future, but it'll take time. first the cars will do a small part of the driving, and then more. slowly they will take over completely, and the driver will take a nap in the back.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 9:56 pm

I look forward to the day I can enjoy a nice coffee and dessert in the back of my car while texting or tapping away on my computer on the way to work. I look forward to letting my car drive me to or from the airport at weird hours while I get some sleep. I'd love to just focus on the music, or watch a dvd, or read a book, or just stare out at the scenery on a road trip. I would take total advantage of my car driving itself to change clothes between work and leisure activities.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 9:53 am

There's more to "transportation" than cars, but I certainly think self-driving cars are the future of cars. When the car can drive it self more safely and efficiently than any human (which it already can today, by the way) it makes sense to do this, except if you just enjoy driving.

It also makes sense to charge lower insurance premiums to safer drivers and there's nothing unfair about that, beyond the general unfairness of any estimate of a risk being just that - an estimate, which may be wrong.

Sadly, those of us who do enjoy driving won't be able to do it during the daily commute any more, since we won't be able to keep up with the pace of traffic set by autonomous cars. We'll have to do it on some deserted road in the country instead.

Driving will become like horse-riding: some people do it because they enjoy it, but it's not a realistic way of commuting to work in the city. Trying to ride your horse in city traffic would be rather inconsiderate to all the other road users (and also to the horse :)).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 5:33 pm

Probably not in my lifetime. We were supposed to have had flying cars like the Jetsons about 15 years ago.

And that really stinks since I don't drive and not having to rely on human drivers to get me somewhere would be the greatest gift ever. And even if it does happen it will cost a fortune or there will be some evil conspiracy by the government or car companies that will prevent them from being available to the public.