Do you consider yourselves as religious persons.

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 11:36 pm

Humanaut wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Quote:
A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and worldviews that relate humanity to an order of existence. Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe.
YES, per this definition science finally meets the definition of religion.

God created science through man, did he not?

Yes, I agree as science is an abstract concept derived from complex human language and collected as recorded intelligence in complex cultures.

And the three letter word GOD is the same, of course.

But the essence of all that is, well, IS all that is.....

Unfortunately human language in all its flavors only approximates the essence of all that is, as same as science.

But on a personal level I LOVE THE MYSTERIES OF LIFE, AND ABSOLUTELY AM THRILLED THAT I canNOT know all that is..at least as far as I know now..;)

I WiLL never understand why folks gets so FRIGGING BENT OUT OF SHAPE OVER THIS.. as there is always at least SOME THING OUT OF ALL THAT IS.. that CAN be learned FROM EVERY HUMAN OPINION ABOUT ALL THAT IS AS EACH UNIQUE HUMAN INDIVIDUAL IS A fractal of All that is....AND THAT PART IS only my opinion... but still that opinion is also part of all that is.....:)

Have a nice day and or night, as i for one AM totAlly 'KILLING' EVERY NOW of all that is....

That makes it AWFUL HARD to get upset about any frigging thing in life, as well as that is MY RELATIVE FREE WILL EXERCISED AS SUCH.. AND that my friend is TRUE HUMAN MAGICK when one excels in that innate Mother Nature True skill....of relative free will in MIND OVER MATTER AND hell yes, I have the irrefutable TRUTH THAT IT WORKS, if everyone isn't tired of seeing it by now. ;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 12:43 am

Amen.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 7:39 am

aghogday wrote:
Well, first of all it's helpful to define religion, less it devolve into only the Abrahamic version of ALL IT CAN BE.

I don't think that discussion is appropriate to the OP's question.

pawelk uses "religious" and "sinful" as parts of his/her question, which narrows down the intent and definitions, to say nothing of the implied question, which seems to ask for comments from similarly religious people, regarding the notion of masturbation being sinful.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:02 am

Narrator wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Well, first of all it's helpful to define religion, less it devolve into only the Abrahamic version of ALL IT CAN BE.

I don't think that discussion is appropriate to the OP's question.

pawelk uses "religious" and "sinful" as parts of his/her question, which narrows down the intent and definitions, to say nothing of the implied question, which seems to ask for comments from similarly religious people, regarding the notion of masturbation being sinful.

I would rather expand the horizons here than be appropriate, friend. ;)

And I WILL DO THAT. :)

I AM neither a hall monitor or a NET etiquette follower.

I AM ALL about living a GREAT LIFE.

AND helping others find the same. :)

No matter if 'they' call religion science or science GOD as that is TOTALLY MEANINGLESS
TO A REAL Human with INNATE AND ENVIRONMENTaLLY EXPRESSED cognitive and affective empathy to help the herd as WHOLE SPECIES and not just a part of one.

And true, I don't always find those 'KIND' of folks among the Abrahamic Religion leaning ones in the herd of my local area, in real life, either.

GOD is an EEO employer, and GOD does not play favorites, as GOD JUST IS, JUSTICe, as is, 'by A way' (in JUST my opinion:).

DeeDee327
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Dec 2014, 10:20 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I even read not long ago that Dr. Kellog, who invented Kellog's Corn Flakes and other famous cereals, originally marketed it as health food that would keep you from masturbating.

haha, I have heard the same thing, only about Dr Graham, and graham crackers keeping you from masturbating :D

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2014, 8:37 pm

Yes. Because I am a Christian, and God IS real! I love God and God loves me! :D

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:39 pm

queensamaria wrote:
I love God and God loves me!

That's what we call a mutually beneficial relationship.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 2:43 am

queensamaria wrote:

hmmm.. How does this help the OP?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 1:55 pm

Narrator wrote:
queensamaria wrote:

hmmm.. How does this help the OP?

It may help to note HERE AT LEAST that Autism is defined by the APA by way of DSM5 diagnostic criteria AS a disorder of reciprocal social communication.

What this means is the responses HERE may not always be to your liking of either Queen's English Grammar OR Spelling, or what ONE might term as coherent meaningful and or concise language..

BY THE WAY.. approximately one-third of folks studied on the spectrum have some type of intellectual disability including learning disabilities.. another approximate one-third are studied as border line intellectually disabled and that leaves a minority that are above border line intellectual disability..

AND it is worth noting that this site technically speaking is for all folks on the spectrum.. and not just the smarty pants... among us.. who MAY BE gifted AND fortunate in that way... and also potentially cursed with the anxiety that often comes with SUPER HIGH STANDARD IQ... AND SUPER LOW EQ....

But never the less.. one HUMAN's view of life... although POTENTIALLY SUBSTANTIALLY different makes it no less real or meaningful...

And obviously the statement here BY THIS SPECIFIC POSTER answers the question of if the poster considers HE OR SHE as a religious person...

Answering the topic... can also be considered as an appropriate answer.. TO A SIMPLE QUESTION...

Knowing that minds ARE DIVERSE AND DIFFERENT and understanding WHY IS A CORE COMPONENT OF COGNITIVE EMPATHY.. PER EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE.. for any flesh and blood chance of truly understanding.. tolerating and accepting others humans as is...

And yes.. this is a REAL AND PRESENT scientifically VALIDATED DEFICIT OF THE SPECTRUM.. as is.. but no NOT FOR ALL FOLKS ON THE SPECTRUM AS SOME are GIFTED IN THIS WAY TOO.....

AND YES..i for one am assessed by professionals with this gift...

So I USE IT HERE TO ATTEMPT TO HELP.. WHAT CAN hurt other human beings feelings... as not everyone is a smarty pants like you.. friend.. in the ways of written verbal communication.. particularly folks on the spectrum as many DO NOT WRITE AT ALL.. and are literally TERRIFIED OF WRITING HERE.. TO GET FEEDBACK JUST LIKE THIS..

from smarty pants like you...and me too..;)

In other words.. please.. have some acceptance and tolerance for folks who you do not think are as smart as you...

And please understand that written verbal intelligence is only a very small piece of the overall human intelligence pie.. and i'm thinking you may understand that already.. hopefully....

This is just hopefully a helpful suggestion as you already did this same thing with me.. and i for one have a Standard IQ approaching 140.. or more.... graduating in the top 11 out of a class of 381 in high school and all of that....

Some folks are not blessed like me with the best of both worlds.. of IQ and EQ... so i attempt to help in this way....:)

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 9:25 pm

Point taken..

I am used to "fitting in" and giving replies as asked for... conditioned to restrain my oblique responses. It took decades for me to learn this restraint, and I still go off topic easily.

My strongest early memory of this is when I was about 7. Dad and I were visiting a friend of his, and his friend explained his hobby to me. I listened attentively, even though my focus was on his pin board. After a rather lengthy explanation, what was my response? I told him where he can get cheap pins. lol

I guess it was a strong memory because of the strange looks they gave me. I didn't understand why they looked at me strangely until long after. Since then I've noticed a similar reaction from people whenever I go off topic like that.

Sometimes I have a whole conversation in my mind, in the space of a blink, and my verbal response is the result of that inner conversation, and often a long way from the original question.

So yes... point taken and my apologies.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 9:47 pm

Masturbation is not sinful; it's essential, really, for some people.

It's much better than having sexual feelings roiling inside of you, with no opportunity for release any time soon--

except by masturbation.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 11:24 pm

Narrator wrote:
Point taken..

I am used to "fitting in" and giving replies as asked for... conditioned to restrain my oblique responses. It took decades for me to learn this restraint, and I still go off topic easily.

My strongest early memory of this is when I was about 7. Dad and I were visiting a friend of his, and his friend explained his hobby to me. I listened attentively, even though my focus was on his pin board. After a rather lengthy explanation, what was my response? I told him where he can get cheap pins. lol

I guess it was a strong memory because of the strange looks they gave me. I didn't understand why they looked at me strangely until long after. Since then I've noticed a similar reaction from people whenever I go off topic like that.

Sometimes I have a whole conversation in my mind, in the space of a blink, and my verbal response is the result of that inner conversation, and often a long way from the original question.

So yes... point taken and my apologies.

And yes, I too have experienced similar short falls and potentially worse but I'm thinking I may be a decade or so older than you, at age 54, so maybe I've had more time to adapt, as no my cognitive empathy has been horrific in the past and I cannot believe at this point I said some of the things that hurt other people's feelings that I had absolutely no clue would in my distant past.

For an example, when I worked with the public I referred to a small Filipino man as the little brown guy, not having any idea how offensive this is to some folks sense of manhood in our culture, and also the racial aspect but to me he just looked like a little brown man, and I literally noted him as such in what I thought was an endearing way.

Yes, I've come a long long way in life and I'm not too big or 'SMALL' to admit that. :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 3:24 am

I was born and baptized into the Lutheran faith, and a Lutheran I still am. Am I religious? My wife and I attend church particularly to instill Christian theology and morality in our daughter. I must say, I very much believe in a theistic evolution, and support gay rights. As for masturbation being sinful - if true, I suppose I'll have to cut off my right hand, while my wife will have to part with her pillow. :lol:

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 4:37 am

Yes, absolutely. I believe God is humanity's oldest and original friend; God knew each of us before we were even born, so what gives us the right to abandon Him? Too many people turn their backs on the very being who gave us life.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 4:42 am

aghogday wrote:
.... but I'm thinking I may be a decade or so older than you, at age 54 ....

We're of the same generation then. I'm 57.
Cheers

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 4:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I was born and baptized into the Lutheran faith, and a Lutheran I still am. Am I religious? My wife and I attend church particularly to instill Christian theology and morality in our daughter. I must say, I very much believe in a theistic evolution, and support gay rights. As for masturbation being sinful - if true, I suppose I'll have to cut off my right hand, while my wife will have to part with her pillow. :lol:

Sure. Kraichgauer confirmed for religious.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.