Page 6 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Have you explored/researched the broad autism phenotype thoroughly?
Yes 47%  47%  [ 14 ]
No 53%  53%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 30

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 12:28 am

As far as I can gather... In certain order;

-A personality type that resonates with autistic forms of introversion/asociality, likely with a lot of prominent neurotic traits that came along with it.
An allistic that's seemingly fits so well with the autistic circumstances... Thus declaring themselves "half NT/AS".

-NTs with autistic social and sensory processing traits, that includes disabling traits.
It seems contradictory if an autistic is also allistic on basis of social behaviors and desires. It's like the reverse of the above.

-Basically 'very mild' type of autism; or with more or less positive traits than negatives.
This seems to be a favored explanation, yet it crosses with several issues due to defining what 'mild autism' even meant.

-A type of autism that doesn't disable the autistic in spite of developmental delays, numerous and severe traits.
Yet that may defeat the purpose of BAP in terms of severity or expressed traits.

-Autistics with lack of expressed autistic traits for a diagnosis, whether or not it disables the autistics' functioning.
This seems to be more favored amongst the attempts of defining BAP.

BAP doesn't resonate with me as a whole.
As much as I fancy and aim being a non-disabled autistic, and actually not a full-blown bookish introvert type...

BAP isn't within my personal range of autism, in the same way LFA doesn't.
My range always seem to lie between Aspergers and HFA.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 12:39 am

Norny wrote:
What do you think of when you read the abbreviation 'BAP'?

That's how I like my snare to sound. BAPBAPBAPBAPBAPBAPBRRRTBAPBAPBAPBAPBAP

Wait, what was the topic? :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 4:03 am

Norny wrote:

What do you think of when you read the abbreviation 'BAP'?

An Australian saying "bop." Also, phenotype is not in my vocabulary.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 4:42 am

Norny wrote:
The broad autism phenotype appears largely unexplored by this forum. This can not only be seen directly through potentially relevant posts, but also by the fact that BAP is never suggested as a potential solution for a person's differences and/or struggles that they experience in their lives.

It is often claimed that there is a 'fine line' between autistic and NT, but BAP is consistently neglected in favour of the ASD or NT dichotomy. I believe this is creating false interpretation of what it actually means to be autistic, to have many autistic traits (BAP), to be an NT with autistic traits, or to be an NT without autistic traits - I would expect very little of this website's membership to consist of these individuals.

----------------------------------------------
Here's two questions to keep it simple:

. What do you think of when you read the abbreviation 'BAP'?
. Is there any relevant material that you have read, that may be useful for others here?

I can see how those who are in this catagory can be frustrated because they feel neither here or there. Having traits which they struggle with (Some could be difficult traits causing them issues) and yet they are not in a position to be recognized so they can have help (If it is needed. No doubt it varies from person to person).

There is one positive thing. One can see, feel and understand what it is like to live in both worlds which is such a privelidge position to be in... I mean... Supposing one is a BAP and happened to get a job in assessing people for the autism spectrum. Would they not be the most ideal candidates as they will have a greater depth of understanding from both perspectives rather then one or the other perspective?

You ask what I think of the term "BAP". Here it means a soft bread roll and they are nice too! So when I first saw the word used on this site I was thinking "What are they talking about?" Haha!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 1:57 pm

After conducting online searches (via search-results with the term 'Broad Autism Phenotype' (BAP) in the titles of reports), BAP reports contain clinical terms, and professional jargon - hence challenging to digest, and define.

Here is a basic link On the 'Broad Autism Phenotype'
https://oxfordmedicine.com/view/10.1093 ... hapter-027

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 3:06 am

Norny wrote:
The broad autism phenotype appears largely unexplored by this forum. This can not only be seen directly through potentially relevant posts, but also by the fact that BAP is never suggested as a potential solution for a person's differences and/or struggles that they experience in their lives.

It is often claimed that there is a 'fine line' between autistic and NT, but BAP is consistently neglected in favour of the ASD or NT dichotomy. I believe this is creating false interpretation of what it actually means to be autistic, to have many autistic traits (BAP), to be an NT with- autistic traits, or to be an NT without autistic traits - I would expect very little of this website's membership to consist of these individuals.

Here's two questions to keep it simple:

. What do you think of when you read the abbreviation 'BAP'?
. Is there any relevant material that you have read, that may be useful for others here?

I wouldn't say thoroughly by any means but I'll do my best.
When I think of the Broader Autism Phenotype I thnik of the tendency of family members of autistic peoplet o show some mild autistic traits like maybe some mild sensory issues or social difficulties. Without them being extreme enough to cause much trouble in their lives. I can't rlealy help you on the secnod one. P.S. I realize the OP probably isn't on the forum anymore.