Page 5 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 8:24 pm

staremaster wrote:
I think it looks too easy. For a sandbox rampage game like this there needs to be some hostile AI, like the cops in GTA. The people look too easy to kill, and also its hard for me to get interested in the protagonist. What a cornball, complete with a trench coat.

From what I've read, it does have cops.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 8:50 pm

TheTrueMayhem wrote:
Hatred looks fun, genuine and cathartic. The ones bashing on the game are probably the same kind of sheeple that the Antagonist wants to target in his "genocide crusade". I don't blame him.

Hatred for Game of the Year 2015!

Oh please.

Goes both ways, really: "The ones praising the game are probably the same kind of sheeple that follow whatever the cool kids do. Same type that'd try drugs or something because their friends do!"

I'm not even the one that came up with that line (it wasnt anyone on this forum, either, came from elsewhere). Though I stuck the word "sheeple" in there since you did, as I dont actually think anyone I've yet met in this community is an "dumbass", which was the original word.

TheTrueMayhem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2015, 9:11 pm

Misery wrote:
Oh please.

Goes both ways, really: "The ones praising the game are probably the same kind of sheeple that follow whatever the cool kids do. Same type that'd try drugs or something because their friends do!"

I'm not even the one that came up with that line (it wasnt anyone on this forum, either, came from elsewhere). Though I stuck the word "sheeple" in there since you did, as I dont actually think anyone I've yet met in this community is an "dumbass", which was the original word.

OK, true, you have a point. In fact, I'd argue that a lot of the people that support the game are anti-SJW bigots (notice the anti- prefix, and that I clearly am pro-social justice). Part of the reason why I can relate to the extreme misanthropy in Hatred so much is because of the overwhelming majority of people who toss around the acronym SJW as if it's a slur, like "n*gger" or "f*ggot". As if advocating for equality and liberation is some kind of subhuman abomination. As if having an ounce of compassion in your heart is a crime punishable by death.

That's what I meant by sheeple. The as*holes of the world.

And yes, I have heard the accusations against the dev. team behind Hatred.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 10:05 pm

TheTrueMayhem wrote:
Misery wrote:
Oh please.

OK, true, you have a point. In fact, I'd argue that a lot of the people that support the game are anti-SJW bigots (notice the anti- prefix, and that I clearly am pro-social justice). Part of the reason why I can relate to the extreme misanthropy in Hatred so much is because of the overwhelming majority of people who toss around the acronym SJW as if it's a slur, like "n*gger" or "f*ggot". As if advocating for equality and liberation is some kind of subhuman abomination. As if having an ounce of compassion in your heart is a crime punishable by death.

That's what I meant by sheeple. The as*holes of the world.

And yes, I have heard the accusations against the dev. team behind Hatred.

Yep.

Sadly though, people just never stop throwing crap terms like that at each other, do they? Feh.

Though the "social justice" concept itself goes over my head a bit. Though me being kinda spacey/airheaded, this isnt a surprising fact.

But it's hardly any reason for people to be flinging around insults. Though if it wasnt there, they'd just latch onto something else, which is even more sad.

TheTrueMayhem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2015, 10:16 pm

I'm glad we see eye to eye on this, to some extent.

I just find bullying or shaming people who stick up for the weaker man (or woman) completely repugnant, and is part of the reason why I hate everyone. In turn, that's why Hatred is such an appealing game to me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 10:25 pm

I do not really care about this game, hell if I was really bored I'd probably even play it...but not much into single player PC games like that for such games I'd prefer a console. Sure its controversial and somewhat distasteful but if people don't like it they do not have to buy it or play it, its existence does not really effect me one way or the other aside from people maybe thinking its screwed up I see nothing wrong with that game, though wouldn't be on the top of my list for games to play.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 11:22 pm

TheTrueMayhem wrote:
I'm glad we see eye to eye on this, to some extent.

I just find bullying or shaming people who stick up for the weaker man (or woman) completely repugnant, and is part of the reason why I hate everyone. In turn, that's why Hatred is such an appealing game to me.

Yeah, I understand that viewpoint. As my name might suggest, I typically am not very fond of anyone much of the time myself. Though, I'll say at least at this specific place, it's easier to find people that arent total jerks. But much of the rest of everywhere.... yeeeaaahhh. A bit harder!

Though, in my case, that's part of what fuels my dislike of the game: I already see so much negativity in EVERYTHING, and not only does this game focus too much on that, it does so in a frankly appalling way. That dark side of things just doesnt need to be emphasized any further than it is. Something like GTA is already there for that, when people want a little stress relief, yet GTA isnt just about "hate everything". THIS game... it just goes too far, that's all.

TheTrueMayhem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2015, 11:40 pm

I think what makes this game different (innovative, actually, albeit in some sick, perverse fashion) is that there is no rationale for the killing other than the player character is a twisted psychopath who hates everyone.

In all honesty, I think the only reason I would consider this game credible is if there was some kind of flashback sequence or backstory of the protagonist that talks about his f**ked-up past, why he "f*****g hates this world, and the human worms feasting on its carcass". I'd find that interesting, to have a little psychology thrown in and rationale as to why.

You bring up a lot of great points. I can totally see why you wouldn't like this game; I think we'll just agree to disagree.

Even though I consider myself a pretty dark soul, even I have outlets and coping mechanisms involving lighter, fluffier stuff in life, too.

It's just unfortunate that all of them are ones this society considers taboo and filthy.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:25 am

TheTrueMayhem wrote:
Even though I consider myself a pretty dark soul, even I have outlets and coping mechanisms involving lighter, fluffier stuff in life, too.

It's just unfortunate that all of them are ones this society considers taboo and filthy.

Bah, society. What do they know? The jerks. Which pretty much sums up my views on that.

It'd be easier to deal with if "normal society" didnt CONTROL EVERYTHING.

Though I'm curious, what lighter, fluffier stuff would be considered taboo/filthy? That's the first time I've heard that particular way of putting it. Usually "light and fluffy" isnt described as "filthy".

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 3:26 pm

As I've mentioned before, the concept of "Hatred" is interesting, but I don't want to support it if the developers are associated with extremist groups. The game may be violent, but none of the violence is actually real, it's just fantasy, like every other "violent" game. If the money I pay for the game ends up going towards supporting real life violence or discrimination though, then I'll have an issue.

Of course, Postal could always work as an alternative. I like old PC games anyway, and Postal is considered to be a cult classic. Plus, it seems to have more of a humoristic aspect to it, which is always a good thing.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 5:00 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
As I've mentioned before, the concept of "Hatred" is interesting, but I don't want to support it if the developers are associated with extremist groups. The game may be violent, but none of the violence is actually real, it's just fantasy, like every other "violent" game. If the money I pay for the game ends up going towards supporting real life violence or discrimination though, then I'll have an issue.

Of course, Postal could always work as an alternative. I like old PC games anyway, and Postal is considered to be a cult classic. Plus, it seems to have more of a humoristic aspect to it, which is always a good thing.

They aren't associated with extremist groups, I think that's been proven well enough. Out of the 10 person team, only two have been implicated for being associated with extremist groups, but one of them was for wearing a T-shirt that was a WWII reference to the Poland Underground, the other was for "liking" a page a on Facebook. Neither of those things are substantial evidence in any way. I know that I've seen posts on my Facebook that I liked and then liked the page and then realized the page was terribly awful several weeks later. And I do have T-shirts that could be used to link me to extremists groups even though I am by no means associated with them either.

Of course, people went out to look for accusations against these guys and found minor things which they blew out of proportion with assumptions. And then Destructive Creations took that and allowed the controversy to thrive.
Really, if these guys supported the groups there would be a lot more evidence and more solid evidence showing it.

Traditionally, dark comedies strive not to let on that it's a satire and tend to leave jokes as subtle as possible. A good dark comedy writer will rarely tip their hand to let the audience know a joke has taken place.

In Dostoyevsky's classic dark comedy, Crime and Punishment, protagonist is an axe murderer slowly going insane with paranoia. The most blatant part of humor in the book is when Svidrigailov commits suicide by shooting himself in the head declaring, "I'm going to America."
Dostoyevsky is one of the oldest examples of a true dark comedy writer. The book is hilarious, but some people don't realize that it's a comedy at all. It's a surrealist genre.

One of my favorite animes, Texhnolyze, is also devoid of any humor... and is a hauntingly bleak tale of human extinction. It doesn't even have any dialogue for the first three episodes. Humor isn't always a good thing and can ruin tales.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 9:57 am

I saw a bit of the gameplay on a Rooster Teeth video on Youtube, and wow I think that it looks rather horrid to have a game get you to slaughter unarmed screaming civilians. Freedom to play what you want, but it looks way to close to the murder simulator idea that people used to throw around about something like Doom after events like school shootings.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 3:42 pm

Well, Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange was rated X originally.

brett0007
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2015, 9:24 am

I dont really see why there is so much controversy over this, if there are devs out there who want to make games like this its there prerogative. How many more times are people going to get angry over games like this. The world didn't go down the can when doom was published or when the latest GTA came out.... Sure it can be offensive but that's the point of video games, to provoke an emotional response be it fun, excitement, sadness, anger or outrage.

and in the end is anyone forcing you to buy/play this game if you don't like it?

Yukito
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2015, 11:01 am

I agree it looks to be a bad game, but not so bad that it should be removed. Honestly, it all /does/ boil down to freedom of speech in the end. There are those who argue that video games are a cause of increasing violence in young children, and those who say that video games don't make people violent. At the end of the day, if you're arguing the latter, you've lost all right to criticise this game based on its violent content.

I understand those who are worried that it might spark more support for people saying video games cause violence, but those kinds of people will never go away, so all you can really do is stand by your beliefs and ignore them.

As for the content of the game itself, in my personal opinion, it's nothing that hasn't been done before. In GTA, you play the guy who kills lots of people (innocent or not), kidnaps, deals in drugs/arms, solicitates prostitutes, and all other manner of bad things. In Hitman... well, the title says it all. In Dungeon Keeper, you're the dark overlord taking over the world and slaying/torturing the heroes coming to save their kind. Personally, this game isn't a whole lot worse in terms of its content.

The only thing this game should be judged on is its execution. Is it a fun game? Does the storyline (if any) work? Is it worth the money? Those are what I'll be judging it on when it comes out, but as for just hardcore violence against innocent people, that's just a genre that some people may not like, but others have no problem with. Lord knows I've slain many a innocent bystander in Vice City, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that : P