Page 6 of 8 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

17 Jan 2015, 7:47 am

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,070
Location: Brisbane, Australia

17 Jan 2015, 9:57 am

I saw a bit of the gameplay on a Rooster Teeth video on Youtube, and wow I think that it looks rather horrid to have a game get you to slaughter unarmed screaming civilians. Freedom to play what you want, but it looks way to close to the murder simulator idea that people used to throw around about something like Doom after events like school shootings.


_________________
Blast Reality! Burst it into shreds! Vanishment... this world!


Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 817

17 Jan 2015, 3:42 pm

Well, Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange was rated X originally.


_________________
Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x


brett0007
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 23
Location: somewhere

31 Jan 2015, 9:24 am

I dont really see why there is so much controversy over this, if there are devs out there who want to make games like this its there prerogative. How many more times are people going to get angry over games like this. The world didn't go down the can when doom was published or when the latest GTA came out.... Sure it can be offensive but that's the point of video games, to provoke an emotional response be it fun, excitement, sadness, anger or outrage.

and in the end is anyone forcing you to buy/play this game if you don't like it?



Yukito
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

31 Jan 2015, 11:01 am

I agree it looks to be a bad game, but not so bad that it should be removed. Honestly, it all /does/ boil down to freedom of speech in the end. There are those who argue that video games are a cause of increasing violence in young children, and those who say that video games don't make people violent. At the end of the day, if you're arguing the latter, you've lost all right to criticise this game based on its violent content.

I understand those who are worried that it might spark more support for people saying video games cause violence, but those kinds of people will never go away, so all you can really do is stand by your beliefs and ignore them.

As for the content of the game itself, in my personal opinion, it's nothing that hasn't been done before. In GTA, you play the guy who kills lots of people (innocent or not), kidnaps, deals in drugs/arms, solicitates prostitutes, and all other manner of bad things. In Hitman... well, the title says it all. In Dungeon Keeper, you're the dark overlord taking over the world and slaying/torturing the heroes coming to save their kind. Personally, this game isn't a whole lot worse in terms of its content.

The only thing this game should be judged on is its execution. Is it a fun game? Does the storyline (if any) work? Is it worth the money? Those are what I'll be judging it on when it comes out, but as for just hardcore violence against innocent people, that's just a genre that some people may not like, but others have no problem with. Lord knows I've slain many a innocent bystander in Vice City, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that : P



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

31 Jan 2015, 11:20 am

brett0007 wrote:
I dont really see why there is so much controversy over this, if there are devs out there who want to make games like this its there prerogative. How many more times are people going to get angry over games like this. The world didn't go down the can when doom was published or when the latest GTA came out.... Sure it can be offensive but that's the point of video games, to provoke an emotional response be it fun, excitement, sadness, anger or outrage.

and in the end is anyone forcing you to buy/play this game if you don't like it?


GTA though, never tries too hard to take itself very seriously at all beyond the actual storyline, with all of the loopy stuff you can do (And the story, you might note, isnt about pointless mass-murder; alot of the random killing is a side effect of the sandbox nature of the game; when I played it way back when, I never really did that. At all. I'd explode the occaisional vehicle, which typically had me in it, but that was about it. You were more of a "typical" criminal, not just a murdering maniac. You dont HAVE to do any of that random stuff at all), and Doom, while violent, still had you fighting on the side of good, as what you were killing was the undead, and Hell's various demon things. You were the good guy fighting a tide of unstoppable evil.

And I see Dungeon Keeper mentioned up above, and just... no. That game didnt take itself seriously AT ALL. And killing heroes wasnt even the real focus; those guys were totally faceless, and you only engaged them directly if you used the posession ability (in addition, THEY came to YOU, not the other way around). The actual point of the game was building/management, and strategy. And the whole thing had a rather goofy atmosphere to it; it never took itself very seriously at all. Gore and violence werent even remotely close to being the point.

Though it should be noted that I dont much like GTA myself; at the time I thought it kinda rode on the controversy train a bit as well, just not to the extreme extent that this one is. So I dont actually have a very good opinion on that one despite having given it a chance by playing it. Which I think I only did because someone I know wouldnt shut the bloody hell up about it.


THIS game has you murdering random screaming civilians, with a storyline summed up as "I hate everything". That's IT. That's the ENTIRE FOCUS. There's barely even a game here, which is a huge part of my problem: Doom, GTA, Dungeon Keeper, those did well based on the merits of their gameplay, which is also what sold them. This is how games should work, violent or otherwise. THIS game is more of a marketing scheme than a game, the marketing being where all of the real effort has been going (and it's been NASTY marketing, too; I automatically hate without exception any developer/publisher that uses the kinds of techniques these dolts are using). And that, not the gameplay, is going to sell this. The game itself is likely to be awful. Hell, when the violent little murder scenes are ignored, the actual gameplay looks astonishingly generic.

At this point, they're not so much selling a game, as they are selling a controversy. Which I suspect was the real idea from the start.


And really, for the theme of the game.... it is not and never was a matter of "oh it hasnt been done before". Violence and such in games HAS been done before. But the controversy is created by the simple fact that this one just takes it too far. Which, again, is the only true thing the devs were after in the first place.



brett0007
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 23
Location: somewhere

31 Jan 2015, 11:52 am

Misery wrote:
brett0007 wrote:
I dont really see why there is so much controversy over this, if there are devs out there who want to make games like this its there prerogative. How many more times are people going to get angry over games like this. The world didn't go down the can when doom was published or when the latest GTA came out.... Sure it can be offensive but that's the point of video games, to provoke an emotional response be it fun, excitement, sadness, anger or outrage.

and in the end is anyone forcing you to buy/play this game if you don't like it?


GTA though, never tries too hard to take itself very seriously at all beyond the actual storyline, with all of the loopy stuff you can do (And the story, you might note, isnt about pointless mass-murder; alot of the random killing is a side effect of the sandbox nature of the game; when I played it way back when, I never really did that. At all. I'd explode the occaisional vehicle, which typically had me in it, but that was about it. You were more of a "typical" criminal, not just a murdering maniac. You dont HAVE to do any of that random stuff at all), and Doom, while violent, still had you fighting on the side of good, as what you were killing was the undead, and Hell's various demon things. You were the good guy fighting a tide of unstoppable evil.

And I see Dungeon Keeper mentioned up above, and just... no. That game didnt take itself seriously AT ALL. And killing heroes wasnt even the real focus; those guys were totally faceless, and you only engaged them directly if you used the posession ability (in addition, THEY came to YOU, not the other way around). The actual point of the game was building/management, and strategy. And the whole thing had a rather goofy atmosphere to it; it never took itself very seriously at all. Gore and violence werent even remotely close to being the point.

Though it should be noted that I dont much like GTA myself; at the time I thought it kinda rode on the controversy train a bit as well, just not to the extreme extent that this one is. So I dont actually have a very good opinion on that one despite having given it a chance by playing it. Which I think I only did because someone I know wouldnt shut the bloody hell up about it.


THIS game has you murdering random screaming civilians, with a storyline summed up as "I hate everything". That's IT. That's the ENTIRE FOCUS. There's barely even a game here, which is a huge part of my problem: Doom, GTA, Dungeon Keeper, those did well based on the merits of their gameplay, which is also what sold them. This is how games should work, violent or otherwise. THIS game is more of a marketing scheme than a game, the marketing being where all of the real effort has been going (and it's been NASTY marketing, too; I automatically hate without exception any developer/publisher that uses the kinds of techniques these dolts are using). And that, not the gameplay, is going to sell this. The game itself is likely to be awful. Hell, when the violent little murder scenes are ignored, the actual gameplay looks astonishingly generic.

At this point, they're not so much selling a game, as they are selling a controversy. Which I suspect was the real idea from the start.


And really, for the theme of the game.... it is not and never was a matter of "oh it hasnt been done before". Violence and such in games HAS been done before. But the controversy is created by the simple fact that this one just takes it too far. Which, again, is the only true thing the devs were after in the first place.



But it does not take itself seriously its glaringly over the top, The first trailer makes that abundantly clear in that super edgy speech he makes and the level of gore is over the top. I do agree on the fact its sold by controversy and not its on merits as a game(from what I've seen is just a sandbox isometric zombie survival game where someone's modded the zombies into real people) and that's a crappy marketing tactic but there is a easy way to prevent that, you don't take the bait. If they want you to get offended over it you just give them free publicity and the Streisand effect. If its only selling point it to cause controversy just ignore it.



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

31 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

brett0007 wrote:
But it does not take itself seriously its glaringly over the top, The first trailer makes that abundantly clear in that super edgy speech he makes and the level of gore is over the top. I do agree on the fact its sold by controversy and not its on merits as a game(from what I've seen is just a sandbox isometric zombie survival game where someone's modded the zombies into real people) and that's a crappy marketing tactic but there is a easy way to prevent that, you don't take the bait. If they want you to get offended over it you just give them free publicity and the Streisand effect. If its only selling point it to cause controversy just ignore it.


To you, yes, that's obvious. You're observant. But most people wont notice that it gets a bit "over the top"; there's a reason why things tend to be made hyper-obvious in most games, which is because people as a whole are about as perceptive as a brick, and if it isnt screamed at them, they dont hear it. Whatever "it" happens to be.

Besides, I didnt see "over the top" when I saw it; what I saw was a lack of skill in making it. I actually could make a list of exact reasons for this, but really... I only care so much.

Not to mention I'm not offended so much by the game itself, but moreso by just how asshatty the devs are. There have been plenty of nasty, offensive games over the years; most wont know of them, but they are there. This one, in concept isnt different... but the devs ARE, and it's that difference that I hate so much.

Besides, me rambling on about it randomly on a small non-gaming-focused forum (as the gaming section is only a very tiny piece of an overall autism forum) aint gonna give them a damn thing. To me, it's moreso just something to talk about and thus something to do in order to lower my boredom a bit. As it is, most people I know have lost interest in the ridiculous thing. I'd rather forgotten about it until this topic popped up again on here.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,993
Location: Alberta, Canada

31 Jan 2015, 4:23 pm

brett0007 wrote:
Misery wrote:
brett0007 wrote:
I dont really see why there is so much controversy over this, if there are devs out there who want to make games like this its there prerogative. How many more times are people going to get angry over games like this. The world didn't go down the can when doom was published or when the latest GTA came out.... Sure it can be offensive but that's the point of video games, to provoke an emotional response be it fun, excitement, sadness, anger or outrage.

and in the end is anyone forcing you to buy/play this game if you don't like it?


GTA though, never tries too hard to take itself very seriously at all beyond the actual storyline, with all of the loopy stuff you can do (And the story, you might note, isnt about pointless mass-murder; alot of the random killing is a side effect of the sandbox nature of the game; when I played it way back when, I never really did that. At all. I'd explode the occaisional vehicle, which typically had me in it, but that was about it. You were more of a "typical" criminal, not just a murdering maniac. You dont HAVE to do any of that random stuff at all), and Doom, while violent, still had you fighting on the side of good, as what you were killing was the undead, and Hell's various demon things. You were the good guy fighting a tide of unstoppable evil.

And I see Dungeon Keeper mentioned up above, and just... no. That game didnt take itself seriously AT ALL. And killing heroes wasnt even the real focus; those guys were totally faceless, and you only engaged them directly if you used the posession ability (in addition, THEY came to YOU, not the other way around). The actual point of the game was building/management, and strategy. And the whole thing had a rather goofy atmosphere to it; it never took itself very seriously at all. Gore and violence werent even remotely close to being the point.

Though it should be noted that I dont much like GTA myself; at the time I thought it kinda rode on the controversy train a bit as well, just not to the extreme extent that this one is. So I dont actually have a very good opinion on that one despite having given it a chance by playing it. Which I think I only did because someone I know wouldnt shut the bloody hell up about it.


THIS game has you murdering random screaming civilians, with a storyline summed up as "I hate everything". That's IT. That's the ENTIRE FOCUS. There's barely even a game here, which is a huge part of my problem: Doom, GTA, Dungeon Keeper, those did well based on the merits of their gameplay, which is also what sold them. This is how games should work, violent or otherwise. THIS game is more of a marketing scheme than a game, the marketing being where all of the real effort has been going (and it's been NASTY marketing, too; I automatically hate without exception any developer/publisher that uses the kinds of techniques these dolts are using). And that, not the gameplay, is going to sell this. The game itself is likely to be awful. Hell, when the violent little murder scenes are ignored, the actual gameplay looks astonishingly generic.

At this point, they're not so much selling a game, as they are selling a controversy. Which I suspect was the real idea from the start.


And really, for the theme of the game.... it is not and never was a matter of "oh it hasnt been done before". Violence and such in games HAS been done before. But the controversy is created by the simple fact that this one just takes it too far. Which, again, is the only true thing the devs were after in the first place.



But it does not take itself seriously its glaringly over the top, The first trailer makes that abundantly clear in that super edgy speech he makes and the level of gore is over the top. I do agree on the fact its sold by controversy and not its on merits as a game(from what I've seen is just a sandbox isometric zombie survival game where someone's modded the zombies into real people) and that's a crappy marketing tactic but there is a easy way to prevent that, you don't take the bait. If they want you to get offended over it you just give them free publicity and the Streisand effect. If its only selling point it to cause controversy just ignore it.


I noticed that in the trailer too, and I actually thought that the game was going to have a more humoristic tone because of it.



TheTrueMayhem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 370
Location: Pandaemonium

31 Jan 2015, 6:32 pm



Gonna get in my pre-order real soon!


_________________
Maggot versus boot - boot always crushes


Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,390
Location: Norway

31 Jan 2015, 7:08 pm

Games like this could have a therapeutic effect.



Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

31 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

TheTrueMayhem wrote:
(video)

Gonna get in my pre-order real soon!


Hah, I see it hasnt actually improved at all; still looks hyper-generic. How lame.

At least nobody I know intends on wasting money on this one; wont have to endlessly hear about it over and over. Unlike certain other games that released lately that I really wish hadnt released (Dragon Age Inquisition; I've a dark, undying hatred for that one now).



Thebigrage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 162

10 Feb 2015, 1:03 pm

Honestly this game looks about as graphic as the Postal series of games and the Rampage movies. It is graphic in displaying horrific scenes of people dying for no reason because one guy decides to get a bunch of weapons and take people with him because he just hates everything and everyone. I don't agree with what the character does in the game and I don't have to. I mean it really isn't any different from playing the bad guy in other games, in any game you are playing the bad guy you are killing innocent people for no reason. Take Star Wars The Old Republic, if you play as a Sith you go through the story and you kill tons of innocent people in pretty graphic ways. Granted you aren't shooting them with guns and bullets or blowing them up, but you are choking them to death and stabbing them with lightsabers, and in some cases shocking them to death with lightning or even just torturing them with it. Yet NO ONE has harped on that game for being graphic, which I don't get because it is pretty much the same thing. Granted you aren't just slaughtering countless people, unless you are on Nar Shadaa killing the citizens for hours on end. At any rate my point is any game where you play as the villain will have you killing innocent people granted Hatred does it in a realistic way that hits close to home it is just like any other game where you are the bad guy. Spiderman: Unlimited you could devour people as Venom, Prototype and the sequel you kill loads of innocent people and sometimes devour them, certain Hulk Games, and pretty much any free roam game were you are the villain or can be evil you kill innocent people. The ONLY reason why this game is getting so much news is because it uses guns instead of lazers or katanas.



Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 817

10 Feb 2015, 4:52 pm

Thebigrage wrote:
Honestly this game looks about as graphic as the Postal series of games and the Rampage movies. It is graphic in displaying horrific scenes of people dying for no reason because one guy decides to get a bunch of weapons and take people with him because he just hates everything and everyone. I don't agree with what the character does in the game and I don't have to. I mean it really isn't any different from playing the bad guy in other games, in any game you are playing the bad guy you are killing innocent people for no reason. Take Star Wars The Old Republic, if you play as a Sith you go through the story and you kill tons of innocent people in pretty graphic ways. Granted you aren't shooting them with guns and bullets or blowing them up, but you are choking them to death and stabbing them with lightsabers, and in some cases shocking them to death with lightning or even just torturing them with it. Yet NO ONE has harped on that game for being graphic, which I don't get because it is pretty much the same thing. Granted you aren't just slaughtering countless people, unless you are on Nar Shadaa killing the citizens for hours on end. At any rate my point is any game where you play as the villain will have you killing innocent people granted Hatred does it in a realistic way that hits close to home it is just like any other game where you are the bad guy. Spiderman: Unlimited you could devour people as Venom, Prototype and the sequel you kill loads of innocent people and sometimes devour them, certain Hulk Games, and pretty much any free roam game were you are the villain or can be evil you kill innocent people. The ONLY reason why this game is getting so much news is because it uses guns instead of lazers or katanas.

Or even making death parks in Rollar Coaster Tycoon 1 or 2...


_________________
Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x


Misery
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,217

10 Feb 2015, 9:13 pm

Thebigrage wrote:
The ONLY reason why this game is getting so much news is because it uses guns instead of lazers or katanas.



Nope.

If that was the only reason, you'd see people freaking the heck out OBSCENELY OFTEN since "being the bad guy with guns" is a concept that has now become very common in games, GTA and it's clones being the most obvious of examples. It's been done to death. But there's a reason why THOSE are ignored and THIS is not.