Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Dec 2014, 10:43 pm

You guys are putting words in my mouth, I never said any of that

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 2:34 am

The guy killed his ex first and himself right after the cops; I imagine that he planned a murder-suicide from the start, but then somehow got the bright idea that he could take a couple of cops with him for "free", which is actually kind of rational within the context of murder-suicide if you also happen to hate cops. Really, the spin on this is out of control, the cops and their apologists are attempting to use it to negate all the public scrutiny that has recently been brought to bear on them, as if the actions of a deranged individual are the responsibility of anyone but that person.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 4:12 am

Eh, I feel much the same way about it as I would a Mafia soldier getting murdered. It is sad, yes, all human deaths are. But if you live by the gun, you die by the gun.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 5:28 am

Do you seriously believe there is moral equivalence between the police and the mafia?

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 6:16 am

Well, more like between the police and the IRA - both have members who join out of a sincere desire to protect people, and both are criminal organisations that threaten innocent people. It doesn't make it okay to murder the members, but if you join a gang...

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 7:25 am

Crazy talk.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 8:26 am

What, encouraging people to not join gangs?

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 4:17 pm

No, the notion of moral equivalence between the police and the IRA.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:19 am

Jacoby wrote:

In all fairness, I got that impression reading your initial post, whether you had intended to say that or not.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 2:32 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The guy killed his ex first and himself right after the cops; I imagine that he planned a murder-suicide from the start, but then somehow got the bright idea that he could take a couple of cops with him for "free", which is actually kind of rational within the context of murder-suicide if you also happen to hate cops. Really, the spin on this is out of control, the cops and their apologists are attempting to use it to negate all the public scrutiny that has recently been brought to bear on them, as if the actions of a deranged individual are the responsibility of anyone but that person.

I tend to agree with this.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 9:51 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The guy killed his ex first and himself right after the cops; I imagine that he planned a murder-suicide from the start, but then somehow got the bright idea that he could take a couple of cops with him for "free", which is actually kind of rational within the context of murder-suicide if you also happen to hate cops.

That.

Not to mention that you're going to have to be suicidal to attempt to kill police anyway (it's expected that your chance of death is high). Enter someone suicidal.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Dec 2014, 1:35 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

In all fairness, I got that impression reading your initial post, whether you had intended to say that or not.

That's why I prefaced it as not an endorsement and noted that I oppose all violence, I am saying this is entirely predictable given the environment that these police and the policy makers above them have fostered. The NYPD has no problem blaming protestors or even Mayor De Blasio when they should look at themselves. These cops advocate for tougher laws and sentencing but it makes no sense to me, they should approach the law's that they enforce with the thought which laws are worth sacrificing my life or killing for. Selling loosies and smoking marijuana isn't worth it, for me to sympathize with police they'd would have to act morally and that involves more than just following orders. Following orders as we know is not an excuse to do evil, how can any cop knowingly destroy lives with a clear conscious? That's why it is not hard for me to believe that a cop would kill somebody, they already have a real human disconnect to do what they do.

You can't not expect a reaction, this guy in New York was nuts and not good dude but he probably died thinking he was a martyr and you can see how plays in our "War On Terror." Some kid in Iraq sees American soldiers much the same way normal citizens are starting to see the police in this country and while obviously I wish any harm on our soldiers, you have to be able to put yourself in the other person's shoes and understand their motivations instead of the spin. The spin is what gives you "they hate us because our freedom" or the racial caricatures in this country or just the knee jerk reaction to believe the police are acting in the right in whatever they do. The point is that the more you oppress, the more you restrict, when you violate people long enough eventually there will a be reaction of some sort and that's not to say it is right or wrong but reality is what it is and what I said is just a recognition of that. This is the world and this is what happens. This is an issue with the police and how they do their jobs, this is not an issue about their being some unjustified cop sentiment in this country when we all know they've earned that reputation. You can't rule by fear and not expect to be hated.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 3:46 am

Most people think the cops are doing a great job. There will always be a vocal minority consisting of criminals and misguided individuals, but that is to be expected.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 6:35 am

Er wut? Being the majority is by no means a guarantee you're not misguided. The majority of people don't oppose the state - they're all misguided, but they're still the majority.