Page 1211 of 1263 [ 20196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1208, 1209, 1210, 1211, 1212, 1213, 1214 ... 1263  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:57 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

How was it?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 5:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

How was it?

Very hilarious just like the previous two films with great character development to match. :)

I acknowledge the fact that animal cruelty and child trafficking are nothing to laugh about,
but some scenes were intense because this one was the darkest of this trilogy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 6:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

How was it?

Very hilarious just like the previous two films with great character development to match. :)

I acknowledge the fact that animal cruelty and child trafficking are nothing to laugh about,

I'll have to see it with the family.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 6:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

How was it?

I'll have to see it with the family.

Yes, IMO, do keep that in mind.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 9:19 pm

The Witch: Part 2 - The Other One (2022)

Watched on DVD I bought from Amazon because Park Eun-bin is in it. I wanted to see her in something other than The Extraordinary Attorney Woo and The King's Affection. I enjoyed her performance. I got to seen her drive a pickup, wield a shotgun (this is South Korea and gun ownership is illegal), and hear her say the "F" word a few times in Korean. She is not the center of attention. A Korean actress name Cynthia is the star. She breaks free from an underground facility where she has been raised. She is the "other one." She is listed as "Girl."
I have not seen part 1 or part 3. As said, this one had Park Eun-bin and that is why I bought it. Anyway, there appears to be super human possibly genetically altered group of beings with enormous strength, agility, and healing properties. There is another more advance faction that has those attribute, including regeneration, and Jean Grey like abilities to control matter. Example: Rip wood fences from the ground, hover them in mid air, and break them up into thousands of stabby projectiles. Then there is the Girl, who has all of that plus the ability to slow time, and use mind control. She really is more like Jean Grey.
Meanwhile, there are tough power hunger people/thugs who will do anything to get Park Eun-bin's land. It is run by a mafia style boss, Yong Gu, who is immensely cruel and ruthless, protected by a gaggle (I believe I'm using that word appropriately here) of tough men carrying knives, baseball bats, and crowbars (guns are illegal). Yong Gu wants Park Eun-bin's land. He and his thugs confront her at place to get it one way or another. That's when he meets the Girl and the fun begins.
Meanwhile, there are two other groups, from each faction, searching for the Girl. The version 1 of the super mutants is a South African white mercenary like guy with a Korean mercenary like gal. They are not without a sense of humor. The version 2 super mutants are really very cocky and cruel.

If you like sci-fi action films where the villains get their comeuppance, you may like this film. I don't know where it can be streamed though. :|

I enjoyed the movie, and here are pictures of Park Eun-bin from it. I know I'm purposely being silly, indulging my Media Crush for this actor. I have lots of Media Crushes.* :)

* Media Crushes are crushes for people I physically have never met, except on celluloid or recorded media. They are not obsession's, just harmless interests. These are actors (usually) that I respect or sometime visually appealing. I am drawn to their faces. Park Eun-bin has lovely eyes, and a lovely face to go with them.
I also have a Media Crush for Tina Fey which is compounded with a Nerd Crush. Nerd Crushes are crushes I have on people's intellects and sense of humor. I have a Nerd Crush for Maeve Higgins too. That's probably too much information; basically everything after the title of the film. :oops:

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 12:54 pm

Ringu (1998)

This this the Japanese film based on the Manga Ringu. The American version was made in in 2002. I remember seeing it in the theater and that, plus my interest in Japanese media prompted me to get the manga and the film series, Ringu, Rasen, Ringu 2, and Ringu 0 (a prequel). The Japanese version is different from the American version. I won't compare the two. I enjoy both. I will say the American version is a bit like Ringu version 2. There visuals they both have, but because the American version was made later, it could use the Japanese version to expand on certain ideas.

When the creepy girl crawls out of the television, for instance. The American effects are a little more impressive and added water from the creepy girls well drenched body.

Stream Ringu on Tubi TV
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tangent - While reading about Ringu, I found there was a Japanese horror/ghost film called Don't Look Up (1996), about a haunted film studio. I would like to watch it, but it does not appear to be streaming anywhere.

Just as well. I should get back to the Korean series Little Woman, which so far is about three sisters from a poor background, a mother who she steals the youngest daughter's birthday gift given by her older sisters, 2.5 millon Won (1,880 American dollars), and then runs off to someplace starting with the letter P. I am undoubtedly jumping the gun , but the series seems to be about money, lack of money, and one's social standing concerning where one exists with either. I'm sure I'm simplifying things. It's either that or mow the lawn. Better slather on the sunscreen. :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:32 pm

Crawl

I've watched this movie before and didn't like it very much because IMO,
it was like watching a rip-off of Jaws or any movie like Jaws.

I happened upon this film and decided to watch it again to determine if my opinion changed.

My opinion has not changed and stopped watching after about 30 minutes.

You can watch this film for free on You-Tube.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 4:15 pm

Phoebe (1964)

This is an Canadian educational film running 28 minutes.
Here are descriptions I've copied from various sources.

OpenLibrary.Org wrote:
Communicates a teen-age girl's feelings of uncertainty; regret and dismay when she realizes that she is pregnant, and must tell those nearest her about her predicament. Shows how a young girl faces a problem that can change her life

Duplicate entries across multiple sources wrote:
A young, unmarried teenager finds herself pregnant. The film mirrors the state of her mind as she worries about the possible positive and negative reactions of her parents, boyfriend, etc in a series of vignettes.

I saw this through RiffTrax with riffing by Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl. They are very funny.
This is a black and white film with a nice Euopean New Wave 1964 feel to it. The photography is nice, reminding me how much I like well photographed black an white film. It is a good clean print.

Phoebe's boyfriend, Paul, is in constant entertainment mode. I imagine Robin Williams seeing it and saying "I could do better." There is another group of youths, two women and a shirtless man wearing a top hat that are equally carefree and entertaining. Their role provides a carefree fun background to contrast with Phoebe's introspective worry, and to provide Phoebe and Paul a ride home.

I've found one place (DVDLady.com) to buy the DVD, but I don't like it enough to part with the $12.

It is not streaming anywhere. But if you like Rifftrax (cousin to Mystery Science Theater) commentary. It can be purchased with movie commentating. You can also watch the preview here. RiffTrax: Phoebe I am not peddling it. I am just providing a link to watch the preview. The preview is a minute long.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 8:45 am

Instant family.
very good

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 11:09 am

Crawl

I've watched this movie before and didn't like it very much because IMO,
it was like watching a rip-off of Jaws or any movie like Jaws.

I happened upon this film and decided to watch it again to determine if my opinion changed.

My opinion has not changed and stopped watching after about 30 minutes.

You can watch this film for free on You-Tube.

Agreed

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 12:53 pm

Last night we watched:

Delicatessen [1991] We watched it in French, with English subtitles.
<=>"A futuristic comic feast"

Absolutely a masterpiece! *R E C O M M E N D E D*

A post-apocalyptic, dark comedy. Beautiful visually and in execution.

How long ago the apocalypse was and what it was are unknown. People and food are scarce.

There is a small apartment building with a delicatessen run by the landlord on the first floor. The tenants pay their rent with food. And, occasionally, the landlord sells them somemeat.

We both thought it was excellent!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 3:06 am

Blood, Sweat, And Cheer.

A mentally unbalanced, controlling divorced mother tries to live vicariously through her cheerleader daughter, till said daughter drops out of the squad and goes to live with her father. So, the mother poses as her daughter and enrolls in a new school, where she does everything, including murder, to get on the cheerleader squad. Not a particularly good movie; the only reason why I watched it is because a longtime friend played the school principal.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 8:59 am

Double Retired wrote:
Last night we watched:

Delicatessen [1991] We watched it in French, with English subtitles.
<=>"A futuristic comic feast"

Absolutely a masterpiece! *R E C O M M E N D E D*

A post-apocalyptic, dark comedy. Beautiful visually and in execution.

How long ago the apocalypse was and what it was are unknown. People and food are scarce.

There is a small apartment building with a delicatessen run by the landlord on the first floor. The tenants pay their rent with food. And, occasionally, the landlord sells them somemeat.

We both thought it was excellent!

It is a good one.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 3:04 pm

Last night we watched:

The Birdcage [1996]
<=>"Come as you are."

My bride is a great fan of Nathan Lane. And isn't everyone a fan of Robin Williams?

And the movie is quite funny.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 3:45 am

The Exception.

WWII movie, in which a German Wehrmacht officer, who had assaulted an SS officer in Poland, is reassigned to Holland, where he is part of the security detail of Kaiser Wilhelm in exile. He falls in love with a Jewish maid serving the Kaiser, who is actually an agent for Britain, and learns how SS Chief, Heinrich Himmler, is planning on manipulating the Kaiser for Hitler's designs. Very good movie, where the lead character has to answer the question if blind obedience is actually loyalty to one's country. Also, Kaiser Wilhelm, who has been beaten up since WWI, gets to have his reputation reevaluated (at least in the movie), when he chooses to do the right thing.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 8:47 am

Double Retired wrote:
Last night we watched:

The Birdcage [1996]
<=>"Come as you are."

My bride is a great fan of Nathan Lane. And isn't everyone a fan of Robin Williams?

And the movie is quite funny.

That is a good one.