Page 1183 of 1259 [ 20134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1180, 1181, 1182, 1183, 1184, 1185, 1186 ... 1259  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 10:14 am

FM

This week my Alma Mata is celebrating its upgrade from college to university status. I had a really good time so of course I’m thinking about my time there. During my rumination's a memory came back of watching the movie FM from 1978 in the Student Union. I did not remember anything about it except it was about a rock music station. So I figured I’d check it out and see how it looks from 45 years in the future.

This was the film that gave Martin Mull his first starring role. The film did poorly at the box office but the soundtrack did well. The title track by Steely Dan - FM(No Static At All) was a hit and remains a Classic Rock/Oldies staple.

The plot is formulaic. Wacky, renegade DJ’s and program director try and fight off corporate take over. The film loses credibility when “rebel” DJ’s are playing the most mainstream rock of time such as Linda Ronstadt(shown in concert), Foreigner, Boz Scaggs, etc. The bad corporate people wanted to *gasp* play ads for the military. The Vietnam War and the concurrent anti war movement was already well in the rear view mirror.

It was a weird period for rock music, the innovations of the 60s and the first part of the 70s had run out of steam, the music was a facsimile of the recent past and “punk/new wave” while the rage in the UK was still a few years away here. The soundtrack with a few exceptions sticks to that exact time period and the film plot reflects that in all its cringe.

For me it was kind of fun to watch as a one shot time piece.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Jan 2023, 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 10:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
FM

This week my Alma Mata is celebrating its upgrade from college to university status. I had a really good time so of course I’m thinking about my time there. During my rumination's a memory came back of watching the movie FM from 1978 in the Student Union. I did not remember anything about it except it was about a rock music station. So I figured I’d check it out and see how it looks from 45 years in the future.

This was the film that gave Martin Mull his first starring role. The film did poorly at the box office but the soundtrack did well. The title track by Steely Dan - FM(No Static At All) was a hit and remains a Classic Rock/Oldies staple.

The plot is formulaic. Wacky, renegade DJ’s and program director try and fight off corporate take over. The film loses credibility when “rebel” DJ’s are playing the most mainstream rock of time such as Linda Ronstadt(shown in concert), Foreigner, REO Speedwagon etc. The bad corporate people wanted to *gasp* play ads for the military. The Vietnam War and the concurrent anti war movement was already well in the rear view mirror.

It was a weird period for rock music, the innovations of the 60s and the first part of the 70s had run out of steam, the music was a facsimile of the recent past and “punk/new wave” while the rage in the UK was still a few years away here. The soundtrack with a few exceptions sticks to that exact time period and the film plot reflects that in all its cringe.

I have never heard of it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 10:27 am

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
FM

The plot is formulaic. Wacky, renegade DJ’s and program director try and fight off corporate take over. The film loses credibility when “rebel” DJ’s are playing the most mainstream rock of time such as Linda Ronstadt(shown in concert), Foreigner, REO Speedwagon etc. The bad corporate people wanted to *gasp* play ads for the military. The Vietnam War and the concurrent anti war movement was already well in the rear view mirror.

I have never heard of it.

It did not do well the time and quickly sunk into oblivion. It is only on YouTube now and how long that will last is anybody’s quess.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 5:40 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
longshot wrote:

Looks good.

Thank you, as it's a very interesting film.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 6:38 pm

Big (1988)

I realized the other day that I did not have this DVD. I have the VHS tape, which is packed away somewhere, but not the DVD. So I checked my budget and bought it, and it is the extended edition. The extended edition comes with scenes that Penny Marshall cut out for one reason or another. The DVD comes with the theatrical version and the extended version. George Lucus should take note of that. :)

This is such a nice movie.

I'd written a whole thing about Tom Hanks (Josh) character and Elizabeth Perkins (Susan) character were on opposite journeys, because Josh takes on more adult responsibilities once he starts having a relationship with Susan, and Susan grows to understand that living life doing what Adults are should do and be interested in, does not necessarily make a well balanced life. Though Josh goes back to being a thirteen year old boy, we imagine Susan retained what she learned about being a healthy adult from her relationship with Josh and she hopefully had a better life because of it. Not sure if this really needs to be a spoiler, but better to be save.

One thing the added scenes showed was how rough Josh's friend, Billy, had it at home.

I recommend the extended edition of Big.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:52 am

pcgoblin wrote:
Big (1988)

I realized the other day that I did not have this DVD. I have the VHS tape, which is packed away somewhere, but not the DVD. So I checked my budget and bought it, and it is the extended edition. The extended edition comes with scenes that Penny Marshall cut out for one reason or another. The DVD comes with the theatrical version and the extended version. George Lucus should take note of that. :)

This is such a nice movie.
I'd written a whole thing about Tom Hanks (Josh) character and Elizabeth Perkins (Susan) character were on opposite journeys, because Josh takes on more adult responsibilities once he starts having a relationship with Susan, and Susan grows to understand that living life doing what Adults are should do and be interested in, does not necessarily make a well balanced life. Though Josh goes back to being a thirteen year old boy, we imagine Susan retained what she learned about being a healthy adult from her relationship with Josh and she hopefully had a better life because of it. Not sure if this really needs to be a spoiler, but better to be save.

One thing the added scenes showed was how rough Josh's friend, Billy, had it at home.

I recommend the extended edition of Big.

Good to know.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 10:39 am

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 6:31 pm

longshot wrote:
What did you think? I thought it was OK but weaker than the other two movies in that franchise: Cloverfield [2008] and 10 Cloverfield Lane [2016]. However, I like the complete franchise. But I struggle with the correct order to watch those three movies! Perhaps because I'm an Aspie? Normally I choose to watch movies in order of the time-frame the movie is set in but I'm inclined to not do that with the Cloverfield trilogy. I currently think The Cloverfield Paradox [2018] is the first movie you should watch when watching this franchise, even though it appears to be set in a later year than the other two films; it is the source of causality that causes the other movies' stories (yes, it affects the past). I'm still torn on what order the other two movies should be viewed in. Opinions, anyone?
------------------------------

Last night I watched:

Son of Frankenstein [1939]
<=>"The black shadows of the past bred this half-man . . . half-demon ! . . .
<=>*The bcreating a new and terrible juggernaut of destruction !"

With Boris Karloff as the "Monster", Basil Rathbone as the son of Frankenstein, and Bela Lugosi as Ygor...all three with good performances of characters important to the story.

The movie is not great but it is good.

Certainly worth watching if you are exploring the classic Universal Horror stories.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 10:03 am

The mask
Jim Carrey is good in this

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 5:14 pm

Double Retired wrote:
longshot wrote:
What did you think? I thought it was OK but weaker than the other two movies in that franchise: Cloverfield [2008] and 10 Cloverfield Lane [2016]. However, I like the complete franchise. But I struggle with the correct order to watch those three movies! Perhaps because I'm an Aspie? Normally I choose to watch movies in order of the time-frame the movie is set in but I'm inclined to not do that with the Cloverfield trilogy. I currently think The Cloverfield Paradox [2018] is the first movie you should watch when watching this franchise, even though it appears to be set in a later year than the other two films; it is the source of causality that causes the other movies' stories (yes, it affects the past). I'm still torn on what order the other two movies should be viewed in. Opinions, anyone?
------------------------------

Last night I watched:

Son of Frankenstein [1939]
<=>"The black shadows of the past bred this half-man . . . half-demon ! . . .
<=>*The bcreating a new and terrible juggernaut of destruction !"

With Boris Karloff as the "Monster", Basil Rathbone as the son of Frankenstein, and Bela Lugosi as Ygor...all three with good performances of characters important to the story.

The movie is not great but it is good.

Certainly worth watching if you are exploring the classic Universal Horror stories.

Not a bad film, if you can get over some of pacing of the film and acting in general.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Not a bad film, if you can get over some of pacing of the film and acting in general.
A reasonable comment regarding either. Which did you mean?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 6:59 pm

The Incredible Shrinking Man

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 9:52 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Did you like it?

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 3:31 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Quote:

I was referring to The Cloverfield Paradox

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 5:25 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Did you like it?

I've watched this many times before in the past and it'll be a true classic of science-fiction.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 5:26 pm

longshot wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Quote:

I was referring to The Cloverfield Paradox
Then you get a strong "agree" from me. With the other film it would've been a less strong "agree".