Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Meril
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2014, 8:42 pm

Does anyone know of a good aspergers high school on the east coast? Preferably free. I found a great looking one but it is really far away. Thanks!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 8:51 pm

There used to be one in Upstate New York--but it closed down a few years ago. It was primarily for adolescents.

Otherwise, I really don't know of one.

There is a college for people with "learning disabilities" located in New England.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 12:33 am

Where on the east coast? In NYC, there are some programs in the public schools called ASD Nest. These are programs within a normal public school for kids with Aspergers. There are not that many, but some of them are in very good, sought after, high schools. There are also a few private schools here and/ or funded schools that take kids with Aspergers as well as kids with Dyslexia or ADHD. Some of them have quite a few kids with Aspergers and deal very well with sensory and executive functioning issues. The private ones are very expensive, but if you are a resident of NYC, and can prove you need a program which a public school cannot accommodate, you can (through a tiring process), get the DOE to pay for your tuition. The funded schools are already funded by the DOE, but (through a slightly less tiring process) you have to get deferred to them by the DOE by proving that a public school cannot address your needs. I know that there are also schools like this in upstate NY, Connecticut and New Jersey. You can google things like "schools for kids with Aspergers " in whatever state you are in. Then google reviews of the schools. Some of them are really good schools.

Meril
Raven
Raven

27 Dec 2014, 11:14 pm

I live in the mid Atlantic area if that helps. I don't want to say my state. I'm looking for a high school.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 2:35 pm

I really only know the north east area. But, I think you should start by doing a Google search of high schools for kids with Aspergers in whatever state you live in, and (if you live near the border of another state) the next state over. Hopefully, you will come up with a list of schools. Probably, there will be schools for more general "learning disabilities" on the list, and some schools for "autism." You then need to research each school and see which one would be a good fit for you. In my area, I looked at a school that said it was for kids on the spectrum (including Aspergers) for my son. It turned out to be (although a great school) too restrictive for my son because he was way ahead of the kids there socially. Then, there are schools here for a variety of learning issues that do not take kids with spectrum disorders. Then, there are schools for a variety of learning issues that have great programs for kids with spectrum disorders. So, you need to look at each school and see which school works best for you. Good luck. I hope you find a great place.

jacobadom8
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2015, 2:05 am

There is one very good school in New York for kids with ASD and Asperger's. It goes by the name of Rebecca School and I've heard some great things about it. All the best