Did/do your school teachers dislike you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 6:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Teachers tended to dislike me because I didn't raise my hand. Later, it was a mixed bag.

My personal goal throughout public-school education was to avoid being recognized in any of my classes (by the teachers or students). A school day where I wasn't called on to answer a question or, worse, explain my answer, was a good day. I hoped and prayed for absolute social invisibility. Needless to say, I never raised my hand for any reason. If a fire broke out, I planned to walk out of the room quickly and quietly without telling anyone.

As such, my teachers, who knew of my IQ and ordinary testing scores, often considered my resistence to cooperate with the Socratic method and any amount of homework as an example of their failure (listening was my favorite and most effective way to learn; students waving their hands around or shouting down each other with conflicting answers confused me). Of course, I guess I can see their concern, what with a high-testing student who sat mute and motionless, staring at the floor for an hour. They might have disliked me (I neither knew nor cared), but their reactions never rose to the level of anything beyond humiliating.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Last edited by AspieUtah on 25 Dec 2014, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 7:06 pm

When there was a class activity where the instructions were not written down I would mess it up in front of the class. It would be very humiliating and the teachers would be angry at me for 'not listening'

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 11:42 pm

In elementary school most of my teachers seemed to like me. After that I don't think many cared about me either way, though a couple clearly disliked me.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 4:38 am

Most teachers didn't like me especially when I was younger, I still have a teacher who dislikes me.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 3:35 pm

It wasn't so much them disliking me, but they had a hard time getting me. They failed to see how much I was struggling with school, even when it was right in front of them. -_-

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2014, 4:22 pm

My smartass statements has actually gotten me respect. At least in high school. Course I still hate high school, but autism truly doesn't equal dumb. Hell, autism might as well mean another dimension of thinking that others in my school have failed to even glimpse.