Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Frankie420
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Dec 2014, 9:43 am

Lately i have been having debilitating self esteem issues,including my personality, my social understandings of things, my looks, and i dont know what to do anymore. I cant even act myself in public because supposively my autism shows. So i have to act "normal" all the time and its so hard to do, it tires me out, i overthink about myself alot and i hate that with autism, comes a lot of self esteem issues, anyone else feel this way?

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 11:31 am

Perhaps most of us I think.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm

I have felt the same way.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 5:31 pm

I was self-conscious when I first got my diagnosis. I became more aware of my deficits socially and felt very inadequate. Over the last year, I have gained more confidence in my social skills. I am not so self-conscious. I do feel inadequate in certain social situations. I don't know how to do intimate relationships, especially romantic ones. Less intimate relationships are not a problem for me at the the moment. I have had to force myself to be in social situations and the result is that I have not been rejected. Most people like me. I also keep learning more and more about how to behave just from personal experience.

I how your life circumstances give you the opportunity to practice your social skills and gain more self-confidence. AS doesn't mean we can't learn social skills. It just means we have to consciously think our way through social situations a lot of times. At this point in my life, after 30 years of practice, I don't know if my social deficits cause me enough harm in my daily life to warrant a diagnosis. I still have AS. I have just learned different social scripts that enable me to get through the day.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 11:28 pm

How to fix self-esteem issues in 3 easy steps:

1) Love yourself unconditionally.
2) See step 1)
3) Any questions? See step 1)

Simple.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 11:42 pm

Raleigh wrote:

2) See step 1)

Simple.

It is extremely simple, yet incredibly difficult, especially when an uncontrollable subconscious has other ideas.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 11:51 pm

Olympiadis,

You're smarter than your subconscious. I think you could manage it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 2:03 am

Why do you have to act normal? I guarantee its less stressful not to...well if you then don't make it your goal to mostly associate with normal people. I have terrible self esteem, but couldn't act normal if I wanted...found it easier to quit trying.

Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 5:44 am

Raleigh wrote:

2) See step 1)

Simple.

step 1 took me 23 years to grasp, i'm not gonna judge anyone for not being able to do so. :?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 12:51 pm

I've had terrible self-esteem issues, most of my life----up, through my 30s, even, I think. I got out of it, I guess, when I accepted myself, the way I am. I don't really put alot of effort into being "normal", anymore, really----I mean, there's still those social conventions that one still has to "meet" / contend with / whatever, but I don't care if someone doesn't like me, anymore, since I became comfortable with myself, living alone, doing things alone, etc.