Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2014, 10:10 pm

I've already posted about disclosure of AS in the workplace and when it would be appropriate. In this forum, I'd like to discuss with whom I would disclose and, likewise, when it would be appropriate. I'm doing this because I'm at the point in my life where I should be truthful about myself as others see me. I doubt a number of close friends would want to hear the news, and my parents already know so it would be useless telling them what they already know.

Thoughts?

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 10:38 pm

I have started telling most of my friends fairly soon after meeting them. It saves the heartache of me saying something wrong, or talking too much, and everyone thinking I am a heartless individual, when I really do care. I tell friends, and I tell coworkers that I trust. I do not make friends easily, so if I decide to befriend someone, that means they have shown themselves as trustworthy. I do not tell everyone.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2014, 9:32 am

managertina wrote:
I have started telling most of my friends fairly soon after meeting them. It saves the heartache of me saying something wrong, or talking too much, and everyone thinking I am a heartless individual, when I really do care. I tell friends, and I tell coworkers that I trust. I do not make friends easily, so if I decide to befriend someone, that means they have shown themselves as trustworthy. I do not tell everyone.

Not telling everyone you meet is a great idea, because you would alienate everyone you meet, and I don't tell them straight out that I have it. What I'm concerned is with people I've known for a long time (i.e., high school friends/classmates, and my Meetup group/s) and how they would react.