Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:35 pm

I hear a lot on the news when my parents watch it, but don't actively pay attention to it. I prefer not to ven hear of all that bad stuff.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:39 pm

Because young, I suggest studying neuroscience or other stem subject (unlike most other stem subjects, it is not necessary to major in neuroscience to go to grad school in neuroscience later) in university and becoming undergrad research assistant in neuroscience lab to pursue this interest. The most needed skill is computer programming in matlab, python, c/c++/c#.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:46 pm

He already enjoys coding. I believe he has programmed computers in the past.

Thanks for the tips.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:51 pm

I wish he lived in NYC. I know somebody who is a neuroscience student going for her doctorate. She has total access to a neuroscience lab. She works primarily with "event-related potentials" (ERP's) She is a speech-language pathologist who has autistic clients. She is mostly interested in bilingual language acquisition, however.

If he lived here, I could have helped him with getting "his foot in the door."

But he doesn't live in NYC.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:55 pm

It is not hard to get into neuroscience, esp. if one is in college already, as one can even try it out by volunteering to be research assistant in a lab, and professor would ask current lab members who wants/needs an assistant, and someone could join a lab this way and learn a lot doing research, which requires only programming skills to begin. It is ackshuly much easier to get into neuroscience than other eggsperimental science like chemistry, which requires a lot of formal training in labs and greater knowledge base in the field to get started.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:58 pm

Thank you very much for the advice.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 7:01 pm

anyone who doesn't keep up with the news enough to know how to vote responsibly is part of what's wrong with the world. these things affect your life and are important.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 7:09 pm

cathylynn wrote:
anyone who doesn't keep up with the news enough to know how to vote responsibly is part of what's wrong with the world. these things affect your life and are important.

The biggest problem is that there is never a voting option that has anything to do with fixing any of the problems.
Change that, and more people will start caring.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 7:19 pm

olympiadis wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

The biggest problem is that there is never a voting option that has anything to do with fixing any of the problems.
Change that, and more people will start caring.

i always manage to find something worth voting for, even if it's the lesser of two evils. most recently, we got rid of a horrible governor in pennsylvania.

ralph nader in 2000 said it didn't matter whether gore or bush got in because both were bad, so nader lost the election for gore by siphoning off votes in florida. then bush got us into a totally unjustified war in iraq. gore never would have done that and would have made strides toward controlling climate change, the biggest issue facing the world.