People scared because of how I look at them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 1:45 pm

At my job one of my co workers said that I upset her because of the way I look at her. I give up! People think I'm weird if I don't look at them and they are scared when I do look at them. I guess I turn my head and look at them from the corner of my eyes. So! what... How is that scary?

- Edgar Allan Poe -

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 1:52 pm

I would say tell her that you don't know how you look at them and your facial expressions don't always mean the right thing.

That's what I tell people, same with the tone of my voice. I can't tell how my face looks or the tone of my voice, so I may look angry when I'm actually not.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 2:00 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
I would say tell her that you don't know how you look at them and your facial expressions don't always mean the right thing.

That's what I tell people, same with the tone of my voice. I can't tell how my face looks or the tone of my voice, so I may look angry when I'm actually not.

I've told her something like that but then she said I was freaking her out more.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 3:52 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
At my job one of my co workers said that I upset her because of the way I look at her. I give up! People think I'm weird if I don't look at them and they are scared when I do look at them. I guess I turn my head and look at them from the corner of my eyes. So! what... How is that scary?

Do you have a medical diagnosis, and if so, is it known at work?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 4:01 pm

She sounds like she's spoiling for a fight... "Are you lookin' at me?" Try to keep interactions with her brief.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 4:19 pm

1) Is she for real? Was it perhaps said in a joking way?
2) If she's serious, she's the one with the problem. She's freaked out because you're a little bit different and different is scary to this special snowflake. Sorry, but I think she needs to grow some balls. You're you and that's how you look at people. She needs to deal with it. Try not to let it get to you.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 10:50 pm

Raleigh wrote:
1) Is she for real? Was it perhaps said in a joking way?
2) If she's serious, she's the one with the problem. She's freaked out because you're a little bit different and different is scary to this special snowflake. Sorry, but I think she needs to grow some balls. You're you and that's how you look at people. She needs to deal with it. Try not to let it get to you.

I'm not sure if she was joking or not. I've told her on two separate occasions that I'm a high functioning autistic and I can't help some of the things I do. I think she is to sensitive. But she is not the only person throughout my life that has reacted to me in this manner. Eye contact is confusing to me. I either make to much or not enough of it. Or I look out of the corners of my eyes. If I were blind people would be more excepting of me.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 12:37 pm

If she knows you are autistic, then she holds half of the responsibility to make your work relationship work. She is going to need to either tell you exactly what you are doing that freaks her out so that you can try to do something else, or she needs to let it go and suck it up.

Have you tried saying something like "I am sorry. I really don't mean to freak you out, but please understand I am doing my best. Eye contact is difficult for me, so I would appreciate it if you bear with me."

Many NTs respond well to apologies (even when you really have nothing to apologize for) followed by a request for some kind of assistance (bear with me). I think it makes them feel benevolent. Or that they have the upper hand in some way. It really doesn't matter why it works, only if it works to get her off your back. I am sure you have more important things to think about at work than whether or not she is pleased with your eye contact.