Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 3:39 pm

BS or true?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 4:53 pm

It's plausible, although I'm not going to spend the next hour on Google looking for statistics to be sure. I'm not buying his claim that "the Western media doesn't document this because it goes against their narrative of muslim violence being caused by grievances". I've read about multiple instances, especially against Coptic Christians, reported by the New York Times.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 5:06 pm

In certain parts of the world? Yes, Christians can be.

In the West for the most part? No. I have no issue with fundamentalists getting attacked for their views, Christian or not (or any other religion for that matter). When you cross the line and start judging others, that's when I call your personal faith system a farce.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 5:12 pm

I've met Christians who acted as if I had attacked them personally, when I simply disagreed with their personal opinions. Some feel that they are being persecuted every time Hallowe'en rolls around. Others get all butt-hurt when people ignore them whenever they start evangelizing.

So "Persecution" to a Christian can range from something as simple as saying "I am an Atheist" to whatever tortures those Islamists hand out.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2014, 6:58 pm

white_as_snow wrote:

BS or true?
Wolves preying upon wolves just makes fewer wolves. Join the Tolerance Club, or piss off.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

Read more.

More than 2 billion christians = not a minority.
Spanish Inquisition.
Who's persecuting whom now?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
So "Persecution" to a Christian can range from something as simple as saying "I am an Atheist" to whatever tortures those Islamists hand out.

Which of course is a total insult to the latter.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Dec 2014, 7:44 pm

1401b wrote:
Read more.

Spanish Inquisition.

Don't know if this is you Poeing (if so, Icky Thump), but global numbers don't mean much, otherwise white people would be considered a minority*. Regardless, 2/7<1/2, so Christians are a minority.

However, they are a very large minority. If the claim is true, then it is because there are a lot of Christians to persecute. Proportionally, more LGBTQ+ people are persecuted (so it's better to be a Christian than gay), but because Christians have the weight of numbers, 20% of them being persecuted is a bigger number than 80% of homosexuals.

* obviously they are a minority in many parts of the world but that's not the point

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 7:46 pm

beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So?

Since some "Christians" have already damned me for not living up to their lofty standards, what could an Islamist do to me that would be any worse?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 7:57 pm

I think they are persecuted in some countries, not so much in others but they always feel persecuted if they can't have their way in government, as in, no abortion, divorce and remarriage and same sex marriages. Those are their big rallying cries.

As far as their contributions, Christians have contributed so much good stuff, like their gentle natures, happiness, peacefulness, grace, willingness to help out. Like Jews and Muslims, they are capable of persecuting others themselves if they don't watch it.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 8:07 pm

1401b wrote:
Read more.

Spanish Inquisition.

Christians are a minority in asia, middle east.

What do you mean with spanish inquisition? You mean becuse of that the christians that get attacked today deserves it? What does some arab christians have to do with spanish christian extremists some hundreds years ago?

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 8:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So?

Since some "Christians" have already damned me for not living up to their lofty standards, what could an Islamist do to me that would be any worse?

:roll:

Christians are not allowed to damn other people, im sorry that they damned you. I hope you will enter heaven when you die.

Well, being beheaded by Daesh is not very funny.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 8:11 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I think they are persecuted in some countries, not so much in others but they always feel persecuted if they can't have their way in government, as in, no abortion, divorce and remarriage and same sex marriages. Those are their big rallying cries.

As far as their contributions, Christians have contributed so much good stuff, like their gentle natures, happiness, peacefulness, grace, willingness to help out. Like Jews and Muslims, they are capable of persecuting others themselves if they don't watch it.

The persecution of christians in africa, asia and middle east have nothing to do with crying about abortion, divorce etc. They are being attacked for real, murded, raped, church burned etc.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 8:18 pm

Could be true.

When you hear about a meteor strike in the news it always seems to happen in the Russian Republic.
Why?

Simple. Russia is the World's biggest country. So Russia is the biggest target to hit.

The largest and most widespread religion in the world is Christianity. The second largest and most widespread religion is Islam.

So by statistics alone its to be expected that those two would vie for both honors: the biggest victim, and the biggest victimizer, of persecution.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 8:20 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So? Since some "Christians" have already damned me for not living up to their lofty standards, what could an Islamist do to me that would be any worse?
Christians are not allowed to damn other people, im sorry that they damned you. I hope you will enter heaven when you die. Well, being beheaded by Daesh is not very funny.
You haven't read Matthew 16:19 yet, have you? It is the verse that "Christians" use to justify their alleged ability to damn or beatify others. I wish that more "Christians" would actually read their Bibles!

You can no more apologize for others than you can pray someone out of Hell. If someone has harmed me in some way, then it is up to that person - and that person alone - to (1) admit what he did; (2) declare that it was wrong to do; (3) apologize for doing it; (4) ask me to forgive him; and maybe (5) offer restitution and reparation for the harm he did to me. Otherwise, he will die unrepentant, and maybe even end up in Hell himself!

As for being beheaded ... First, they'll have to capture me. Second, Dying for my faith (according to both Islam and Christianity) virtually guarantees a place for me in Heaven!

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 8:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So? Since some "Christians" have already damned me for not living up to their lofty standards, what could an Islamist do to me that would be any worse?
Christians are not allowed to damn other people, im sorry that they damned you. I hope you will enter heaven when you die. Well, being beheaded by Daesh is not very funny.
You haven't read Matthew 16:19 yet, have you? It is the verse that "Christians" use to justify their alleged ability to damn or beatify others. I wish that more "Christians" would actually read their Bibles!

You can no more apologize for others than you can pray someone out of Hell. If someone has harmed me in some way, then it is up to that person - and that person alone - to (1) admit what he did; (2) declare that it was wrong to do; (3) apologize for doing it; (4) ask me to forgive him; and maybe (5) offer restitution and reparation for the harm he did to me. Otherwise, he will die unrepentant, and maybe even end up in Hell himself!

As for being beheaded ... First, they'll have to capture me. Second, Dying for my faith (according to both Islam and Christianity) virtually guarantees a place for me in Heaven!

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

"But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"

Capture you? I hope you are fast. :lol: