the killings of black people in usa by the police

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 11:41 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
Shoot his hands, both. I know it sounds silly, but its a human life we are talking about. Police should practice more on this type of actions.

The best would be if that storm-troopers star wars sleep-bullet was invented and put in use. Or maybe the police should invent a some sort of police-uniform shield that protects them from bullets.

Instead of using money on fighting in middle east, usa should use the money to invent this type of things.

I have no love for the police, but you're off in fantasy land here, most handguns don't have the mechanical accuracy necessary to make the shots you're describing, and the cops have more important things to do than spend all day practicing making an impossible shot that is incredibly unlikely to ever be necessary, as most cops never even draw their weapon. As to non-lethals, the Taser is currently the best we've got, and it's far from perfect. Further, there's big money in it, again, see Taser, so it's not lack of resources or interest, but technological limitations holding the field back. I'm not trying to sound nasty here, but you really should educate yourself on the topic if it concerns you, otherwise you're just making unhelpful suggestions.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 12:36 am

Fnord wrote:
Here's what I was taught while serving in the military: Shoot an armed person in the arm, and he'll just use his other one to shoot you; shoot him in the legs and he can still shoot back; but shoot him in the center of mass, and the physical shock alone should stop him.

The torso is the bigger target, and oftentimes the Good Guys don't have much time to line up the perfect shot when the Bad Guy is already shooting to kill!

And that's the whole point - the Bad Guys always seem to be shooting to kill, not stun. So it is safer to authorize the Good Guys to use deadly force as well - safer for the Good Guys, and safer for any hostages and bystanders within range of the Bad Guy's gun.

So stop trying to second-guess the Good Guys when they remove the threat of an armed and violent Bad Guy. In fact, you should be grateful that there is one less Bad Guy to rob, rape, and murder you!

What does this have to do with unarmed civilians in a non-combat situation? How do you know the person is a bad guy? Before an arrest takes place, the person is just a suspect. Your mentality is the reason why people are dead. It's the same mentality those cops have.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 12:41 am

To the original poster, I don't know if it is racism or not. Every situation is different.

Will a civil war break out? No. Things haven't gotten bad enough yet for there to be an uprising on a massive scale. I do hope that some reforms are made in the way these incidents are reviewed. Realistically though, cops are going to keep killing people and getting away with it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 12:52 am

em_tsuj wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Here's what I was taught while serving in the military: Shoot an armed person in the arm, and he'll just use his other one to shoot you; shoot him in the legs and he can still shoot back; but shoot him in the center of mass, and the physical shock alone should stop him. The torso is the bigger target, and oftentimes the Good Guys don't have much time to line up the perfect shot when the Bad Guy is already shooting to kill! And that's the whole point - the Bad Guys always seem to be shooting to kill, not stun. So it is safer to authorize the Good Guys to use deadly force as well - safer for the Good Guys, and safer for any hostages and bystanders within range of the Bad Guy's gun. So stop trying to second-guess the Good Guys when they remove the threat of an armed and violent Bad Guy. In fact, you should be grateful that there is one less Bad Guy to rob, rape, and murder you!
What does this have to do with unarmed civilians in a non-combat situation? How do you know the person is a bad guy? Before an arrest takes place, the person is just a suspect. Your mentality is the reason why people are dead. It's the same mentality those cops have.
Unarmed civilians reaching for something in their waistbands could be reaching for a weapon, and are thus perceived as deadly threats. Unarmed civilians who modify their toy weapons to look real no longer look like they're unarmed, and are perceived as deadly threats. Unarmed civilians who lunge at armed cops to grab their guns are trying to arm themselves, and are perceived as deadly threats.

Deadly threats must be neutralized, even if it means that they die.

As I've said many times before, unless you have ever been in actual combat, you will never know what it is like to have to make a life-or-death decision faster that it takes someone else to pull a trigger. Thus, you have no real experience to draw on to judge anyone who has had to make such a decision on a daily basis.

Just remember this: You get to sleep peacefully in your bed tonight because armed guardians stand ready to use deadly force on your behalf.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 2:14 am

em_tsuj wrote:

I'm pretty sure trying to steal an officer's gun, punching him, then charging him, shows that he's not exactly a carebear. These things point to someone being a threat to your life. Pretty simple.

Or pointing a firearm at an officer. That's usually considered a, "I'm going to kill you now" form of communication. Again, simple.

The police, and you too, have to follow a set criteria if you want to justifiably kill someone. It'll be in your state's criminal code.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 2:27 am

Dillogic wrote:
Killing is wrong, yes, but so is letting someone kill you.

There is nothing wrong with killing someone in self-defense if the situation demands it. Quite the contrary.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 2:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Here's what I was taught while serving in the military: Shoot an armed person in the arm, and he'll just use his other one to shoot you; shoot him in the legs and he can still shoot back; but shoot him in the center of mass, and the physical shock alone should stop him. The torso is the bigger target, and oftentimes the Good Guys don't have much time to line up the perfect shot when the Bad Guy is already shooting to kill! And that's the whole point - the Bad Guys always seem to be shooting to kill, not stun. So it is safer to authorize the Good Guys to use deadly force as well - safer for the Good Guys, and safer for any hostages and bystanders within range of the Bad Guy's gun. So stop trying to second-guess the Good Guys when they remove the threat of an armed and violent Bad Guy. In fact, you should be grateful that there is one less Bad Guy to rob, rape, and murder you!
Unarmed civilians reaching for something in their waistbands could be reaching for a weapon, and are thus perceived as deadly threats. Unarmed civilians who modify their toy weapons to look real no longer look like they're unarmed, and are perceived as deadly threats. Unarmed civilians who lunge at armed cops to grab their guns are trying to arm themselves, and are perceived as deadly threats.

Deadly threats must be neutralized, even if it means that they die.

As I've said many times before, unless you have ever been in actual combat, you will never know what it is like to have to make a life-or-death decision faster that it takes someone else to pull a trigger. Thus, you have no real experience to draw on to judge anyone who has had to make such a decision on a daily basis.

Just remember this: You get to sleep peacefully in your bed tonight because armed guardians stand ready to use deadly force on your behalf.

Please. I am the enemy combatant/citizen the police are supposed to protect I can't be both of those things simultaneously. In other words, who are the police protecting? Who is the enemy? Am I a citizen or an enemy? Let me be more explicit. My experience in America is that I am someone who the police are trying to protect everybody else from. I am not a part of the community that the police are trying to protect. I am seen as an enemy, and it is unfair.

Because I am seen as an enemy, in a situation where the cop cannot rationally think before acting, that cop's inaccurate perception of me is going to get me killed. This is real life for me and has been for most of my life. I have to protect myself from the police. I take daily measures not to experience the type of stuff I see on the news or the less dangerous, never publicized, but equally infuriating harassment that takes place because I "fit the profile". I fit the profile because I am not white and affluent.

You can't tell me that I am making it up or that I am paranoid, because i have had too many independent experiences in various locations at different points in my life. And, as you can tell by the anger and protests in black communities all over the U.S., it is a common experience among black people all over the U.S. Are we lying about racial profiling? Are we unjust in being scared of police and angry about mistreatment by police?

So is a police officer justified in killing me (a non-violent, law-abiding citizen) because he has some negative (often subconscious) perceptions about black men?

One more thing, I didn't really get excited about this stuff until the Eric Garner case. I understand your argument that cops must be cognizant of danger and often must react with deadly force. I also understand some about legal proceedings because I have worked in the criminal justice community. I look at the evidence in each case and make judgments based on that. I don't see any problem with the investigation in Ferguson. I understand why they didn't indict the officer. I don't like how things went down with Trayvon Martin because I believe Trayvon Martin was provoked, but you can reasonably argue that it was a situation where Trayvon Martin's killer thought his life was in danger. But in Eric Garner's case, you have on video a person who did not do anything violent, didn't make any kind of threatening gestures towards the cops or any bystanders, and was not being arrested for a violent crime or a major offense. Your argument does not fit in this case. Look at the video. Did Eric Garner reach for a weapon? Did he throw a punch? Did he make any verbal or physical threats of violence? No.

The police officer responsible for his death needs to be held accountable some sort of way, perhaps through a lawsuit, but no punishment is an insult to Eric Garner's family and black people all over America. It also sets the example that you can do whatever you want when arresting someone and get away with it. That is not what America is supposed to be about. That is not in keeping with the ideals that millions of Americans have died for. We are supposed to be a nation where every citizen is supposed to be treated equally by the government.

You might argue that cases like Eric Garner's are outliers, and I would agree, but I believe that one person dying like this and not getting justice is too many. I don't want to live in a society where reckless cops can kill people and not get punished. I want to see powerless people (no matter what their race) treated fairly by those who are in power. I want to see America continue to grow closer to its ideals of justice and equality.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 2:45 pm

Dillogic wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:

I'm pretty sure trying to steal an officer's gun, punching him, then charging him, shows that he's not exactly a carebear. These things point to someone being a threat to your life. Pretty simple.

Or pointing a firearm at an officer. That's usually considered a, "I'm going to kill you now" form of communication. Again, simple.

The police, and you too, have to follow a set criteria if you want to justifiably kill someone. It'll be in your state's criminal code.

What are you talking about?

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2015, 9:57 am

Fnord wrote:
Yes, I have been in actual combat, so I know how it goes, and it is never so clean and methodical as you see in the movies - not even in "Saving Private Ryan".

I strongly suggest that all of you "peacemakers" go get yourselves some real combat experience, and then you may see how truly ineffective your pacifist coddling of armed criminals really is.

Me too, so in principle I would second that. The only issue I would have is that far too many members of the Police forces tend to shoot first and ask questions last, leading to many wholly unecessary deaths.

My understanding is that in the recent terrorist-style hostage situation in Sydney Australia, both hostages and the hostage-taker were killed by police weapons. The hostage-taker had a shotgun, those killed had bullet wounds. Wonder how many of the hostages killed in Paris were killed by police weapons?

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 10:36 am

I heard on the news those hostages were already dead before those commando dudes attacked.

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2015, 2:09 pm

trollcatman wrote:
I heard on the news those hostages were already dead before those commando dudes attacked.

Please note: I referred to the SYDNEY Australia hostage drama. To the best of my knowledge no commando dudes were involved.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 2:22 pm

Well to be fair its certainly not just black people who get brutalized and/or killed by the cops where its not necessary there are general problems with police brutality here. There is also racial profiling and racism in the legal system so much of the time black people or other ethnic minorities are targeted, also though police much of the time discriminate towards mentally ill people and homeless people regardless of what color they are. Also probably more likely martial law will break out before any civil war. But yes I've even learned there have been cases of the authorities/government planting addictive drugs like crack or meth into areas largely consisting of minority populations to get them hooked so the quality of the area goes down and they can justify systematic racism towards that group looked into some of that when I was taking sociology courses in college....we have a very dirty and corrupt legal system I'd say.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 2:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
Here's what I was taught while serving in the military: Shoot an armed person in the arm, and he'll just use his other one to shoot you; shoot him in the legs and he can still shoot back; but shoot him in the center of mass, and the physical shock alone should stop him.

The torso is the bigger target, and oftentimes the Good Guys don't have much time to line up the perfect shot when the Bad Guy is already shooting to kill!

And that's the whole point - the Bad Guys always seem to be shooting to kill, not stun. So it is safer to authorize the Good Guys to use deadly force as well - safer for the Good Guys, and safer for any hostages and bystanders within range of the Bad Guy's gun.

So stop trying to second-guess the Good Guys when they remove the threat of an armed and violent Bad Guy. In fact, you should be grateful that there is one less Bad Guy to rob, rape, and murder you!

And what about the various incidents where police have beat, tazered and/or killed unarmed people? If someones got a gun and is shooting at people I do not think too many people would complain if a police officer shoots them...but whenever possible the least amount of force should be used...like say someone has a gun is suicidal and planning to shoot them-self well proper protocol should by no means be for them to rush in shooting for instance. Different situations need to be handled differently what is appropriate in one situation may not be appropriate in others. Or say there are multiple cops with guns and someone has a knife, probably quite possible to shoot them somewhere non-lethal if necessary before they'll be able to stab anyone to death. Also much of the time things are not as simple as good guys vs. bad guys either.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 2:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
Its still wrong to kill a person.
It is even more wrong to allow another person to kill others.

white_as_snow wrote:
They should invent that thing that stormtropers in star wars has, some typ of blue energy bullet lazer that makes the attacker to sleep in 1 second.
Dream on. Tasers, tear gas, pepper spray, bean-bags, and other non-lethal weapons still leave their targets capable of harming or killing others.

I once saw a man who had been blinded by tear gas start firing blindly as quickly as he could. He killed one soldier and wounded another before he was killed.

Yes, I have been in actual combat, so I know how it goes, and it is never so clean and methodical as you see in the movies - not even in "Saving Private Ryan".

I strongly suggest that all of you "peacemakers" go get yourselves some real combat experience, and then you may see how truly ineffective your pacifist coddling of armed criminals really is.

:roll:

I am willing to bet the majority of situations cops deal with are not really comparable to war combat...so don't really see how they can be compared. If a situation is so bad it needs to be dealt with in that manner perhaps that is grounds to bring in the military rather than trying to militarize the cops. Cops aren't even trained for military combat, hence why its a problem when they try to act like a military force and are always on the offense when their job is to serve and protect....maybe the cops who need more action ought to be in the military instead where they are more likey to encounter situations where deadly force must be used if you don't want to die on a more regular basis...instead of brutalizing the civilian population. I hardly see how it is pacifist coddling of armed criminals to think police need to tone down their shoot first and think later mentality as well as their abuse of power.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 5:38 pm

alisoncc wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

Please note: I referred to the SYDNEY Australia hostage drama. To the best of my knowledge no commando dudes were involved.

Ah, I thought you meant the stuff in France. The people in France were actually elite military I think, not police.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:46 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
Please. I am the enemy combatant/citizen the police are supposed to protect I can't be both of those things simultaneously. In other words, who are the police protecting? Who is the enemy? Am I a citizen or an enemy? Let me be more explicit. My experience in America is that I am someone who the police are trying to protect everybody else from. I am not a part of the community that the police are trying to protect. I am seen as an enemy, and it is unfair.

That's funny----I'm white and live in a black neighborhood, and I see cops (white and black) protecting black citizens EVERYDAY!! You're not an enemy, generally speaking, until you do something, to become one----and, even THEN, you're not an enemy until you are proven guilty, in a court of law. Do I see black people treated unfairly? Of COURSE----but, I live in a MAJOR metropolitan area, and I see people of MANY races being treated, unfairly. Black people, here in Baltimore, treat Asians, ATROCIOUSLY----but, you never hear Asians crying about it----at least not publicly----not holding rallies, etc.

Because I am seen as an enemy, in a situation where the cop cannot rationally think before acting, that cop's inaccurate perception of me is going to get me killed. This is real life for me and has been for most of my life. I have to protect myself from the police. I take daily measures not to experience the type of stuff I see on the news or the less dangerous, never publicized, but equally infuriating harassment that takes place because I "fit the profile". I fit the profile because I am not white and affluent.

Because you are taking "daily measures", you're being a good citizen. One could say that "I" take measures, as well, by keeping my nose clean, and not sassing authority. That's the problem, that I see, often, in situations with cops and black people. Some black people want to sass cops, disrespect their authority, PROVOKE them. Yeah, I can understand them wanting to stand-up for themselves, and not want to allow themselves, to be walked, all over; but, too many of them (black people) PROVOKE a cop's treatment of them. I've seen MANY a black person being arrested, and one of first things out of their mouth, is something to the effect of: "Oh, you're doing this because I'm BLACK"----OR, if the cop is black, "Come-on, brother, you know it's not like that". Provocation is NOT just when someone pulls a gun, on you!! Would YOU want to be provoked / threatened every single day, almost every time you were doing your job?

You can't tell me that I am making it up or that I am paranoid, because i have had too many independent experiences in various locations at different points in my life. And, as you can tell by the anger and protests in black communities all over the U.S., it is a common experience among black people all over the U.S. Are we lying about racial profiling? Are we unjust in being scared of police and angry about mistreatment by police?

No, I don't think you're lying about what can be INTERPRETED as racial profiling----but, what if..... Just, what if, it is INSTEAD, "attitude profiling"? You don't think a young, WHITE person, who is viewed as a punk, because his pants are falling-off his butt, and he's wearing a hoodie, and having an attitude, is not ALSO being profiled? I know he IS, cuz I see it every day!! I don't have an attitude of "Everybody's out to get me"----but, the couple of times I've walked into a 7-Eleven with my hood, up, I've been asked to remove it. People are asked to remove their hoodies so that they can be identified on camera, if they commit a crime----NOT because they're black. When I remember to remove my hood, BEFORE entering the store, I am taking one of those "measures", I feel, you were describing.

As for the protests in black communities..... I'm sorry, but I really DO think this might be the type of behavior that some Psychology professional would label: "gang mentality"! ! I rarely get into an argument with black people, but when I have, the first thing they do, is get every other black person around them, into it----and, the second thing they do, is say, something like, "slavery is over". Why can't black people just have a battle, singularly? Also, Black people aren't the ONLY people who have an albatross around their neck!! The Jewish people have the Holocaust, the gay people have Stonewall, the Native Americans have the Trail of Tears----BUT, you don't see ANY of them "crying" as loudly, or as often, as BLACK people!! Yeah, there's power in numbers----yeah, the squeaky cog gets the oil----BUT, it gets tiring, quite quickly, after so long a time. Each of these groups have "cried", every once-in-awhile, for about a minute, compared to some Black people crying, for the last 40 years, at least!!

I also feel that the more Black people are heard, considered, etc., the more they want. Some of them, seemingly, act like spoiled children, in that the more a child gets, the more he wants, cuz he knows that all he has to do, is whine, and he gets his wish. The parent that never says "no", will one day regret it----when, for instance, their child becomes a big, damn bully, and IF they are even able to acknowledge their responsibility, in it. I fear that that may be what is happening, now..... There seems to be two MAJOR types of white people, where Black people are concerned----there's those with "White Guilt", who are still saying "Oh, poor black people----look what we did to them" (regarding slavery), and will, seemingly give their right arm, to take a black person's side. Then, there are the white people who have had quite enough of Black people whining about slavery, and who are now, themselves, feeling oppressed, and not gonna take it, anymore----and, unfortunately, as much as I hate to think it / say it, that just MIGHT be what is PART of why there's so many killings of black people, by White people (cop, or not).

So is a police officer justified in killing me (a non-violent, law-abiding citizen) because he has some negative (often subconscious) perceptions about black men?

Certainly, NOT!! The cops, in the cases we've been discussing on this thread, haven't been found to have negative perceptions, about black men. You said, YOURSELF, farther down in this post, that you felt the investigations were being conducted properly, in Ferguson, for instance. No one's actions----and I repeat, NO ONE'S actions can be justified for killing someone just because of their race----that's one of the reasons they invented the "Hate Crime" law. You don't think white people get thrown in jail, for killing black people, "for sport"?

One more thing, I didn't really get excited about this stuff until the Eric Garner case. I understand your argument that cops must be cognizant of danger and often must react with deadly force. I also understand some about legal proceedings because I have worked in the criminal justice community. I look at the evidence in each case and make judgments based on that. I don't see any problem with the investigation in Ferguson. I understand why they didn't indict the officer. I don't like how things went down with Trayvon Martin because I believe Trayvon Martin was provoked, but you can reasonably argue that it was a situation where Trayvon Martin's killer thought his life was in danger. But in Eric Garner's case, you have on video a person who did not do anything violent, didn't make any kind of threatening gestures towards the cops or any bystanders, and was not being arrested for a violent crime or a major offense. Your argument does not fit in this case. Look at the video. Did Eric Garner reach for a weapon? Did he throw a punch? Did he make any verbal or physical threats of violence? No.

I, TOO, HATE that Eric Garner died as a result of the cop's behavior----BUT, you don't think a white person has ever died, because a cop was restraining, them? I remember reading about a white lady who got tasered by a cop, and had a heart attack and died, because of it, but it was a LOCAL report----the media only reports things, NATIONALLY, when they think it'll bring them ratings, or whatever. The case with Eric Garner came-about after Trayvon Martin, and Ferguson, and a whole bunch of other incidences, and "the powers that be" knew it would make a great sensation----BUT, the fact IS Mr. Garner was obese, had high blood pressure, and Asthma..... Another person being restrained as he was, might not have died----just as other people have been tasered, and not died. According to NBC-New York, the police commissioner, in the case of Eric Garner, has said that there will be a "redesigning of use-of-force training in the NYPD". We can only hope that he will keep his word.

The police officer responsible for his death needs to be held accountable some sort of way, perhaps through a lawsuit, but no punishment is an insult to Eric Garner's family and black people all over America. It also sets the example that you can do whatever you want when arresting someone and get away with it. That is not what America is supposed to be about. That is not in keeping with the ideals that millions of Americans have died for. We are supposed to be a nation where every citizen is supposed to be treated equally by the government.

Again, this is, IMO, "gang mentality". Why does what happened to Eric Garner insult Black people all over America? If a white person is killed by police in Wisconsin, for instance, I don't get insulted and incite a protest in downtown Baltimore, because of it. Again, the problem IS, you rarely hear about a white person getting killed, by police, in a NATIONAL report----BECAUSE, quite frankly, why would anyone feel sorry for a white person, when it's a "White Man's World", and White people have all the privileges (that's the opinion of SOME people----WHITES, as well). Is a white person's blood less valuable, than a black person's----and, by the same token, is a BLACK person's blood MORE valuable, than a white person's? The answer SHOULD be, IMO, that NO ONE'S blood is less important, and NO ONE'S blood is MORE important!!

You might argue that cases like Eric Garner's are outliers, and I would agree, but I believe that one person dying like this and not getting justice is too many. I don't want to live in a society where reckless cops can kill people and not get punished. I want to see powerless people (no matter what their race) treated fairly by those who are in power. I want to see America continue to grow closer to its ideals of justice and equality.

I want this, TOO!! Unfortunately, as much as I hate to say it, some black people----SOME black people----are bringing trouble on themselves, by PROVOKING the actions of others. Now, I realize that one should be able to NOT respond in a brutal / homicidal way, when they've been provoked----but, again, I ask you if YOU would be able to do it, if almost every single day, in almost every single situation, you were provoked, as some of these cops, are.