Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm

My mind doesn't seem to like numbers. I can read words all right, although not brilliant, but I'm OK at it. But it seems like numbers jump about all over the place. Like when I'm giving out my mobile number, I always give it out wrong, even if I write it down and even carefully double-check that it's the right numbers I have written down. After a few checks I am certain I have written it down correctly, but then more times than not I still discover that I have given out the wrong number.
Or when I'm dialing numbers. If someone is reading numbers out to me, I press the wrong key, and have to start over again, or erase the the last number I pressed (depending on what sort of phone I'm using). When I'm reading numbers out loud to myself whilst dialing, I get all confused and get the numbers mixed up.
And I have a hard time remembering numbers too. Like when I'm checking on the internet for the lottery raffle, you know, the one with the name of a colour then the 8 numbers next to each. It takes me about half an hour when it should only take you about 3 minutes.

Can one have this problem with numbers but be OK with letters and words? I've always been good with spelling and punctuation, and English was my favourite subject at school. I do enjoy writing too. But with numbers, I just cannot seem to get on with them. Why could this be?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 4:02 pm

It could be dyscalculia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm

Dyscalculia is the first label I recognised in myself, numbers get jumbled up in my head, someone once suggested that the number four was key to overcoming basic mathematical problems, but I still don't get it. I did not have this challenge with English/other languages.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2015, 10:05 pm

Amity wrote:
Dyscalculia is the first label I recognised in myself, numbers get jumbled up in my head, someone once suggested that the number four was key to overcoming basic mathematical problems, but I still don't get it. I did not have this challenge with English/other languages.

The reason why 4 is the key number for mathematic as it is the first composite number, divisible by something other than itself and 1. Thus, four is the first number one can apply all the basic mathematical ideas to.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 10:55 pm

Amity wrote:

I did not recognize dyscalculia until I left elementary school. I could easily perform basic arithmetic and maths in standardized testing, but would flunk tests in algebra on a daily basis. I learned English decently quickly, but was always slow to write. I still cannot write Chinese, nor can I read it. I learned to write my thoughts when I was ~10