If you were forced to convert to a religion.

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2015, 5:27 pm

Which would you choose and why?

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 5:34 pm

Buddhism

I really don't know why, but it's always fascinated me. Plus, my cousin is a Buddhist monk that lives in Nepal.

I wouldn't want to be forced to convert to anything however.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 5:37 pm

Catholicism because Pope Frank kicks ass! :wtg:

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2015, 6:35 pm

Pastafarianism, but I would pray to the FSM that he will continue having peaceful relations with Her Divine Pinkness (PBUH).

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 7:00 pm

i like all the answers so far.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 8:30 pm

Persimmonpudding wrote:
Pastafarianism, but I would pray to the FSM that he will continue having peaceful relations with Her Divine Pinkness (PBUH).
Marinera or Alfredo sect?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 8:43 pm

I can't be forced to do something against my will.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 8:46 pm

a. Being forced to do anything implies an "or else" option.

b. I hate religion.

:: If someone was trying to force me to convert to a religion, I might be inclined to choose the alternative instead.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 8:54 pm

Any brand of paganism, since it allows raiding and reduces ship upkeep costs by 90%.
Oooops, playing too much Crusader Kings.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

Any religion that would allow me to practice my real faith which is science. So if I had lived in England during the crusades, or in Papal Rome during the 16th century, I would have denounced Christianity and moved to Turkey and converted to Islam. Conversely, I would have moved back to England by the 17th century, denouncing Islam and reconverted back to Christianity.

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2015, 9:29 pm

progaspie wrote:
Any religion that would allow me to practice my real faith which is science. So if I had lived in England during the crusades, or in Papal Rome during the 16th century, I would have denounced Christianity and moved to Turkey and converted to Islam. Conversely, I would have moved back to England by the 17th century, denouncing Islam and reconverted back to Christianity.

Buddhism IS science. It is not religion.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 10:06 pm

chagya wrote:
progaspie wrote:

To me, it's a religion, no better or worse than any other religion.

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2015, 10:17 pm

progaspie wrote:
chagya wrote:
progaspie wrote:

To me, it's a religion, no better or worse than any other religion.

I think a large percentage of Buddhist monks do not even consider it a religion. Monks who spend all day studying Buddhism. Most westerners who would call themselves Buddhist and call it a religion actually know very little beyond the basics of Buddhism.. Where is the worship in Buddhism? There is no God in Buddhism and what people think of as deities in Buddhism are really just representations Monks and Buddhist teachers, or Dharma teachers seldom even mention such things.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2015, 10:45 pm

Some may not accept it as a religion, and I'm not sure if it is either, but I already do identify with humanism.

Otherwise, Buddhism for me.

"If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims." -- Dalai Lama XIV

That quote sorta explains why. It's just a more reasonable religion than the others I know of... it's more adaptable.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2015, 10:49 pm

Ah... I just read some other replies and realized that you may have meant theistic religions...

In that case, burn me at the stake -- it's not happening. Even if I wanted to pretend to believe in a god, I wouldn't be believable because... well... I have Asperger's. It is simply impossible for me to convincingly live a lie.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2015, 10:57 pm

I would convert to the religion of the guy pointing the gun towards me.