"Aspergians are more logical, Autistics are more creative"?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

04 Jan 2015, 9:40 pm

The only real difference used to be the language delay. I can't imagine that making too much of a difference between logic and creativity.

AQ: 46

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:55 pm

1401b wrote:
Asperger's, Autism -same difference.

Why do people say "same difference" when they really mean "same thing"?

But yes, I agree. I was reading in a book written by Temple Grandin (can't remember the name right now) saying that artists and scientists really aren't all that different. In art you can find patterns that can be explained scientifically, and you can create art based on patterns in science. She explained it better than I am doing here, but that's basically it.

- Sherlock Holmes

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 1:20 pm

Asperger's IS autism! Only it's supposed to be a milder form of autism. I'm an aspie and I've always been much more creative than logical. On the other hand, I've had a fascination with scientific and medical stuff ever since I was a little kid. Why do people thing art is unscientific, or that artists are the opposite of scientists? Leonardo Da Vinci drew up diagrams of things that wouldn't be created until many years like diving suit and a parachute, created very accurate maps, which were rare and usually inaccurate back in the 16th century, and made many sketches of the human body. This was the same guy who made a lot of famous religious paintings like The Last Supper.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 2:53 pm

I am autistic yet I am neither creative nor logical. Perhaps I have been misdiagnosed?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 2:56 pm

I have mild AS, but I am far from logical in most things. I am very creative though.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2016, 3:17 pm

Ugh... really annoys me when people try to separate Asperger's from Autism. Reminds me a bit of Scotland and Britain, but that's a political matter that I don't want to spark an off-topic debate over. XD

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 5:54 pm

Riik wrote:
Ugh... really annoys me when people try to separate Asperger's from Autism. Reminds me a bit of Scotland and Britain, but that's a political matter that I don't want to spark an off-topic debate over. XD

Same. I don't know what's taking so long for the ICD-10 to change, but it's pretty obvious that autism and Aspergers are the same thing, just that the latter used to be diagnosed in "higher functioning" cases.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 6:03 pm

I think I'm neither one. Being creative is more abstract and requires abstract thinking to make your own work. I was never good at that. Being logical also requires that too which I why I feel slow. And to me autism is not the same thing as AS because I am not like people with classic autism or with severe autism so perhaps I was also misplaced on the spectrum. I know everyone is different with it and you don't need to have all the symptoms and there are different levels and degree.

But I do like to write. That takes creativity so perhaps I am only creative in different things than in art or making my own levels in Mario Maker or in other games that make you design your own courses or even doing music. But creativity is something I always struggled in but when it came to writing, I excelled in it. I can't do poems or music and artwork or build with Legos using my own imagination or build with Knex using my own imagination that doesn't come from the idea book. other people seem better at it than me and they are NT so I know this is a issue I have or otherwise teachers wouldn't be handing out those creative assignments to their students as mandatory than extra credit.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 7:11 pm

I'm Aspergian and I am extremely creative.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2016, 7:50 pm

I process some information logically( mostly the day to day stuff) , but also am emotionally driven to be creative( without which I probably wouldn't let out any emotion).
One way of thinking helps me live and the other lets me, be me!..
Not sure I would be able to function without definition on that.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 9:09 am

StormTroper wrote:
While searching YouTube for videos on autism, I ran across this video of a guy talking about the difference between Asperger's and Autism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxlOe2HdusY

From what I understand he says the autistic brain runs 40% faster than the "normal world", "autistic people tend to be more creative", and "the more logical they are the more likely it was Asperger's" (referring to scientists with suspected ASD).

I can't find anything to support his claims anywhere else. Is there any merit to what he says, did I misunderstand it, or is it just bull****?

IntellectualCat wrote:
That is just more of the logic vs. creativity false dichotomy.

I am autistic, and in my case, I am as creative as I am logical.

Me, to, For Example my Avatar, I imagined it then modified a picture to make it it. It's just as Creative as Logical. I can find a Logical meaning in everything from Pokemon Typings to, Albert Einstein's General Relativity, so that couldn't be it it's just
StormTroper wrote:
I can't find anything to support his claims anywhere else. Is there any merit to what he says, did I misunderstand it, or is it just bull****?
Yes, it is just BS, I've seen Aspie Artists who prefer the name Aspie over Person with Asperger's Syndrome or Autie, or even Autistic. I prefer the name Pieplup, or Atleast Autistic Pieplup or Pieplup the Autistic. :|

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 9:13 am

League_Girl wrote:
I think I'm neither one. Being creative is more abstract and requires abstract thinking to make your own work. I was never good at that. Being logical also requires that too which I why I feel slow. And to me autism is not the same thing as AS because I am not like people with classic autism or with severe autism so perhaps I was also misplaced on the spectrum. I know everyone is different with it and you don't need to have all the symptoms and there are different levels and degree.

But I do like to write. That takes creativity so perhaps I am only creative in different things than in art or making my own levels in Mario Maker or in other games that make you design your own courses or even doing music. But creativity is something I always struggled in but when it came to writing, I excelled in it. I can't do poems or music and artwork or build with Legos using my own imagination or build with Knex using my own imagination that doesn't come from the idea book. other people seem better at it than me and they are NT so I know this is a issue I have or otherwise teachers wouldn't be handing out those creative assignments to their students as mandatory than extra credit.

The thing is That all people who are Autistic aren't
League_Girl wrote:
Classicly Autistic
. Some are Rather High Functioning like myself. I'm Diagnossed Autistic.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 10:15 am

Pieplup wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

The thing is That all people who are Autistic aren't
League_Girl wrote:
Classicly Autistic
. Some are Rather High Functioning like myself. I'm Diagnossed Autistic.

Aren't what? Creative? Did you just say you were creative as you are logical in your previous reply?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Elfwink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2016, 10:20 am

Many people are not up to speed with the terminology.

People come in all kinds of flavours. Having ASD shouldn't be an indicator that someone is more creative, less logical, etc.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 11:34 am

Stormtrooper wrote:

The last option.