Anyone have to negotiate a salary?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Azureth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jan 2015, 12:14 am

Just curious if anyone here has negotiated a salary and if so, did you find having Asperger's make it more difficult?

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm

Yeah... I don't know if it makes it more difficult, but it probably would. For a negotiation situation you need to be able to read and comprehend the other parties.
I can't do that. I don't know the base price for starting a negotiation. Nor do I know how good the potential employer is or how much they know about basic negotiation.

In normal negotiation, the seller of the product should always give a high price and then lower it if the buyer has the balls, the wit, the bartering skills, to lower the price to a reasonable rate. They buyer starts with a lower offer than what they are willing to pay and the seller at a higher price than they need. They'll meet in the middle which benefits both.
In a salary negotiation, you are bartering off a part of yourself.
However, in most cases yourself isn't worth much as labor as the job market is bloated with unemployment.

And Americans are almost always horrible with trade negotiations. So they tend to expect you to start with a reasonable price and just leave it there.
If you don't know what that reasonable price in their mind is, then you are often screwed.

My simple guide to price negotiations:
Take the time to calculate reasonable prices.
Make sure you are getting what you need out of it and more.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 12:23 pm

Azureth wrote:
Just curious if anyone here has negotiated a salary and if so, did you find having Asperger's make it more difficult?

Yes. Numerous times in restaurant/retail cases, once professionally.

I actually think it might have helped in my case. My deadpan voice is often mistaken for confidence (or arrogance if someone's really projecting), and people assume confident people are confident for a reason. I have very little self-confidence, and had even less in the past, and if I'd have appeared nervous instead of self-possessed, I doubt I would've gotten it.
Oh, and like Protogenoi said, determining the base price can be difficult. I did a lot of research and was confident that I'd arrived at the correct market rate for the professional job.

I can admit reading people could be difficult when negotiating, and I, sadly enough, cannot recall any reactions in these situations, just my facts and whether I got what I asked for or not.