Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 4:15 am

I recently took an Asperger test that a friend posted on her Facebook page (her daughter is Asperger). I was surprised to find I had a pretty high score. I took three more tests (Baron-Cohen, RDOS, and i forget the third). All showed somewhat Asperger, almost Asperger, or at least "worth getting professionally tested."

I started reading a lot of ASD sites. I knew some of my traits were associated with the syndrome (difficulty reading people, intense interests) but was surprised to see that a lot of things that i had never thought of as being a "thing" were Asperger symptoms, like trouble recognizing faces, sensory sensitivities, and stimming.

I'm thinking of getting professionally tested, but I'd like to know, what are the benefits? Can they help me with coping strategies? Did you find it helpful to know? Does anybody know of any good testing places in the Washington DC area?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 5:52 am

This Washington Times Article really does answer a lot of questions of both why and how. The article is from 2012. The only major change is that Aspergers diagnosis is not given out anymore, it is Autism Spectrum Disorder these days
http://communities.washingtontimes.com/ ... diagnosis/

I came up this this organization in your area that should provide referrals

Autism Society | 4340 East-West Hwy, Suite 350 | Bethesda, Maryland 20814 | 1(800) 328-8476

The main points from the article I would emphasize are

A professional diagnosis may give you more of a sense of certainty that this is real.

A professional diagnosis allows to you get some benefits such as disability.

Going to someone who is an expert in Autism in Adult Females is a must.

Professional or not this journey may fundamentally change the way view your life by giving a new explanation's as to why things happened the way they did in many areas of your life.

This knowledge should help you avoid repeating the mistakes you made out of just not knowing or false understanding of yourself.

Good luck. Wrong Planet can be a little fractious at times but it is likely what ever problem you are having there is somebody here who has dealt with it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman