Do you ever forget about having autism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm

I was just curious. I have moments like this, and I noticed it's been happening a lot more lately. Like, ever since I've finally accepted my true self now... I'm not bothered with being autistic. It's like, I completely forget about it because I'm too busy being myself and having a lot of fun.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 3:06 pm

I can't say I ever truly forget it even when I'm having fun. There are times when I don't actively think about my differences or failings, but this is the way my life has always been. I'm aware that I'm a little set apart from others at the best of times, either because of my lifestyle or my personality.

ralphd
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2015, 3:39 pm

I rarely forget because I'm a proud Aspie. I would hate being controlled by my limbic system the way many (most?) NTs are.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 3:52 pm

Being autistic is not something I think about every second of every day. Mostly it comes into my head when I face a challenge due to my autism (oh yes, i think - me again).

Most of the time I'm just a happy aspie bumbling along oblivious to my condition (and oblivious to a whole lot of other things I probably should be paying attention to).

:D

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 5:18 pm

Not me. It's one of my Special Interests. More often than not, I'm walking around thinking about it. I walk around looking at people wondering if they're on the Spectrum. I'd like to meet someone else with Asperger's.

Ever since my diagnosis (and I accepted it), it's been on my mind most of the time. Besides, my life is just riddled with the 'symptoms' of Asperger's. It's very hard to forget about something you just are. The life I live is a constant reminder that I'm different. That I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 6:19 pm

No, because I'm constantly reminded by everyone that I have it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 6:28 pm

It's always in the back of my mind.

I try not to let it affect my life. I'm rather used to it. I'm 54, and it's been well known that I am autistic/weird since toddlerhood. Since the presidency of John F. Kennedy.

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 6:42 pm

Not thinking about it is not the same as forgetting, so in that aspect, I don't ever do. I've lived most of my life without a diagnosis, so during most stilted interactions my first thought will still be I am really bad at socializing, rather than think about autism. It was very much in the forefront of my mind when first diagnosed however, but such awareness burned itself out pretty quickly.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:00 pm

Well yeah. If I'm playing a videogame, watching a TV programme, replying to a post that isn't about autism, etc., then of course I forget about having autism while I'm doing those things. It's not something I think about every moment of every day.

Do I think about it at all? Of course I do. It's still a relatively new diagnosis and there's an awful lot to process.

EDIT: The avatars have been fixed! Blinky is finally where he should be! Yay :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:07 pm

He still has three eyes!

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:34 pm

Of course. It wouldn't be Blinky otherwise :p

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:38 pm

Ever play Ms Pacman? There was a character named Blinky, I believe.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:51 pm

I don't ever really think about it unless I'm on here or the subject of autism comes up somewhere and it reminds me. In my head I don't think of my quirks and weird stuff as AS because before my dx I had always thought of them as "just me" and so I still do. However, I do think about it when I need to deal with something about myself that is actually caused by the AS.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:55 pm

Maybe...if you didn't have Asperger's.....you wouldn't write as illustratively as you do.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:56 pm

I go through phases with what I think about. "Modes", I call them. Sometimes I'm in "special needs mode", as I call it, and spend a lot of time thinking about different disabilities and mental illnesses, their diagnosis and behaviours and comorbidity. In this mode, I am more likely to see myself as autistic and to self-analyze my behaviour.

But in other "modes", I think about other things, like imagining stories and conversations from the perspective of NTs, not autistic people. In these modes I don't really think about having autism or "feel" autistic. Obviously, I don't forget I have it, but it's just not on my mind.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:00 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
Being autistic is not something I think about every second of every day. Mostly it comes into my head when I face a challenge due to my autism (oh yes, i think - me again).

Most of the time I'm just a happy aspie bumbling along oblivious to my condition (and oblivious to a whole lot of other things I probably should be paying attention to).

:D

I have similar sentiments, I guess. I think of it sort of like wearing a shirt: it's on you all the time, but while you don't even think about it for the majority of the day, you still subconsciously know it's there. And when you stop to think about it, only then do you feel it against your skin. I think that's kinda what it's like for me.