Lovely little essay on neurotypical privilege

Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
Guys, I'll have to get back to you later on this. This stomach bug is kicking my arse again. (At least the vomiting is over, but the diarrhoea, churning guts and sickly nausea aren't... :-/)

Oh no, hope you're feeling better soon!

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 11:33 pm

LabPet wrote:
Thanks for sharing this essay with such profound meaning that yet eludes many/most neuropsych professionals. I've survived therapeutic abuse.

The misguided clinician I encountered believed a priori that I was her inferior, even speaking to me in 'baby talk' (pronouncing words as if to a baby), and that was only the start of her staggering ignorance. My familial heritage includes some who were 'on the spectrum' (e.g., my father & paternal grandfather, both of whom I have the utmost respect). I spent an inordinate amount of time 'teaching' her, to no avail. She had a great sense of accomplishment in defaming me, watching me suffer in humiliation and degradation.

Clinician then held a secret meeting about me, without inviting me. She announced to all that (quote) "Aspies are no good." Further, she decided that I was never to contact any Wrong Planet members, and somehow she would enforce her inane rule. I am still livid as to how grievously I was mistreated. Just pain....I would contribute more here, but must hold back my tears.

That's horrible... I'm so sorry you went through that.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 12:04 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Maybe autistic adults who can't find work in autistic-unfriendly job market could try becoming self-employed in areas that help autistic people, such as tutoring for autistic students, life coaching for autistic people (I feel like I need one sometimes), using technical skills to make apps or software for autistic needs, etc. People often say that they want to help professionals or become professionals to work with autistic people, but one can also skip the professionals and just start small with helping other autistic people outside the confines of traditional neurotypical workplaces.

I also think more autistic adults should reach out to parents of autistic children.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2015, 12:10 am

LabPet wrote:
Thanks for sharing this essay with such profound meaning that yet eludes many/most neuropsych professionals. I've survived therapeutic abuse.

The misguided clinician I encountered believed a priori that I was her inferior, even speaking to me in 'baby talk' (pronouncing words as if to a baby), and that was only the start of her staggering ignorance. My familial heritage includes some who were 'on the spectrum' (e.g., my father & paternal grandfather, both of whom I have the utmost respect). I spent an inordinate amount of time 'teaching' her, to no avail. She had a great sense of accomplishment in defaming me, watching me suffer in humiliation and degradation.

Clinician then held a secret meeting about me, without inviting me. She announced to all that (quote) "Aspies are no good." Further, she decided that I was never to contact any Wrong Planet members, and somehow she would enforce her inane rule. I am still livid as to how grievously I was mistreated. Just pain....I would contribute more here, but must hold back my tears.

Wow. I don't even.

Although mine's is not as extreme as your's, I survived pretty similar abuse (ABA/behavior modification in high school - ugh), but the toll it's taken is awful. Instead of a clinician it was through speech therapy, and I was babied similar to you, and in many cases the lessons were very kindergarten-like. It was almost as if I was seen as a 5-year old, and the teacher had no faith in me. She also made some subtle yet demeaning statements about autistic people (sweeping generalizations).

I don't have her classes anymore, and thank god. Really, a lot of these "baby" techniques do not work on cognizant people, and can be very degrading, and very harmful.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 12:14 am

LabPet wrote:

One of my biggest fears at the moment is that something similar like what happened to you might happen to me. I lose sleep over it and have nightmares. I realize that horrible crap can happen thanks to a diagnosis, and I have a lot of fear over that. I'm in the process of figuring out how to get diagnosed with my lack of resources and a nonsensical system... I'm only self-diagnosed at the moment.

I've dealt with medical abuse/neglect before... and I don't want to add to that.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2015, 12:18 am

Yeah. A really sad thing about being diagnosed is that once "they" know you have it (sorry for the vague terminology), everything changes. For me, being put in SpED has meant:
-9th grade I was put in classes with other SpED students (quite chaotic)
-Speech therapy (experience described above)
-Assistants for 9th grade due to behavior (Nice people but in hindsight it was somewhat misguided; but at the same time, they saved me from absolute insanity; unfortunately the way school is is causing that insanity, so I might as well have not been there)
-A LOT of behavior modification (which, in my case, was harmful)

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2015, 12:36 am

Also, relating to the topic on hand, and partly as a reply to the post on "educating the masses", one more obvious and blatant example of "neurotypical privilege" is the education system. It was created in the 19th century, and by and large favors extrovert NTs; the social world is absolutely made extrovert, the basic idea is to follow, and to obey a strict structure of doing things. NTs are more or less able to navigate this, but autistic people obviously struggle. Then comes special education, and that is an entirely different can of worms.

Not only have many described here a pretty nasty education with SpED (and the extra package that it comes with: applied behavior analysis, bleh!), but from my experience with it is that it does create a sense of hopelessness, inferiority, and forces you to bow down. In some ways, it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't want to say all SPED teachers are bad, but the idea of it itself is incredibly misguided. It tries to fit non-compliant people in an outdated system, and in a sense it says that the neurotypical way is the right way.

Do you see something here?

Although the whole topic of "neuro-relations" (or whatever you want to call it given that it's so new and somewhat restricted in circles) is an incredibly sticky one to touch on, and a relatively new one being more discussed, I think absolutely that one of the roots of the problem with "NT privilege" is the education system. By and far, I'd even go as far as to say it is the worst enemy towards the autistic community, because it actually creates and re-enforces a lot of the issues commonly discussed on here. The whole creation of the term "learning disabled" actually re-enforces stereotypes of autistic people supposedly being intellectually inferior (I mean, you can be more blunt than learning disabled; that's quite a strong term). Our lack of comfort in such a biased system negatively not only affects us but the perceptions of NTs themselves. Our own education system is teaching an idea of inferiority.

What if education today more focused on diverging and actually creating welcome environments, as well as less emphasis on weaknesses and rather strengths? I know the whole idea of "education reform" is also pretty new, but it's really worth discussing.

Overall, I'd say school is a major root in this entire problem, because these are where the ideas of supposed autistic inferiority are bred and practiced.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 1:30 am

Hansgrohe wrote:
Also, relating to the topic on hand, and partly as a reply to the post on "educating the masses", one more obvious and blatant example of "neurotypical privilege" is the education system. It was created in the 19th century, and by and large favors extrovert NTs; the social world is absolutely made extrovert, the basic idea is to follow, and to obey a strict structure of doing things. NTs are more or less able to navigate this, but autistic people obviously struggle. Then comes special education, and that is an entirely different can of worms.

Not only have many described here a pretty nasty education with SpED (and the extra package that it comes with: applied behavior analysis, bleh!), but from my experience with it is that it does create a sense of hopelessness, inferiority, and forces you to bow down. In some ways, it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't want to say all SPED teachers are bad, but the idea of it itself is incredibly misguided. It tries to fit non-compliant people in an outdated system, and in a sense it says that the neurotypical way is the right way.

Do you see something here?

Although the whole topic of "neuro-relations" (or whatever you want to call it given that it's so new and somewhat restricted in circles) is an incredibly sticky one to touch on, and a relatively new one being more discussed, I think absolutely that one of the roots of the problem with "NT privilege" is the education system. By and far, I'd even go as far as to say it is the worst enemy towards the autistic community, because it actually creates and re-enforces a lot of the issues commonly discussed on here. The whole creation of the term "learning disabled" actually re-enforces stereotypes of autistic people supposedly being intellectually inferior (I mean, you can be more blunt than learning disabled; that's quite a strong term). Our lack of comfort in such a biased system negatively not only affects us but the perceptions of NTs themselves. Our own education system is teaching an idea of inferiority.

What if education today more focused on diverging and actually creating welcome environments, as well as less emphasis on weaknesses and rather strengths? I know the whole idea of "education reform" is also pretty new, but it's really worth discussing.

Overall, I'd say school is a major root in this entire problem, because these are where the ideas of supposed autistic inferiority are bred and practiced.

I was also in speech therapy and special ed. Despite that, I never got a diagnosis of anything and now I am attempting to find out why. I've already searched all my records, having called up various schools and medical facilities for documents and based off them I'm certain I have autism...
I'd have to agree that all they do is try to isolate those who are noncompliant. I assumed I'd have a diagnosis of something because I was put into the SpecEd, but all there was a series of "socioeducational" testing by the school counselor, a hearing test, and a brief visit to a third party "professional" who was a family counselor with very little experience with anything disorder or neurological condition, (the guy mostly functioned as a marriage counselor, but the school chose him to help evaluate me.)
I was found to academically excel, but "socially underdeveloped with significant speech concerns and no/little aggressive behavior," was more than enough justification for them to put me into SpecEd and that was that. They noted that I had already been through speech therapy, that it was discontinued, and there was significant concern for speech therapy to resume. Yet... they did nothing but throw me into SpecEd and do nothing else to try and help me. And everys chool since then, took the SpecEd to be absolute truth and kept me in SpecEd for years... they prevented me from taking the advanced classes which they knew I could handle academically and they knew SpecEd class was slow compared to the general classes. SpecEd as is halts the academic growth of many students.

Out of the 4 other kids in my SpecEd class in elementary, all of us were rather smart. One kid couldn't walk and that was his only reason for being there, segregated out not by anything mental but by physical limitation...
Only one kid might have needed SpecEd, but only because he had a tendency to become violent, but he still academically excelled so there wasn't any reason to slow the the education for him.
The other two students scored the highest in the class, but I don't know what was up with them. And I know that all of us were normally honor roll students, although we didn't normally participate in any of the ceremonies or recieve public recognition instead we'd get the little ribbons and certificates in a sealed envelope addressed to our parents (the only exception being the physically disabled kid, who was often times flaunted by the school.)

Special ed was a terrible experience, but I don't remember much of the speech therapy just having to repeat certain sounds or words and also the last day of it.
Horrible memories in general.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 1:55 am

Aww that's awfull, people can be so mean especially when they are in a 'position'.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 6:26 pm

From the website Square 8 - part of a draft article discussing issues relevant to the thread:

A Checklist of Neurotypical Privilege

As autistic adults, we have often found ourselves excluded from organizations claiming to speak for us. We have been told that our thoughts and experiences are of no value in general discussions of autism. Autistic adults who dare to speak openly on topics related to autism are often treated with condescension, ridicule and disdain. Autistic children are restrained in isolation rooms, bullied not only by peers but by teachers, while some of us have been told this is not our concern. Autistic adults are tasered by police for their communication and movement differences. Every year, autistic children and adults are murdered for no reason other than their neurology. A life in which a person can be fairly sure these things will not happen to her/him is a privileged life. Having one’s views taken seriously on these subjects is another example of privilege.

Autistic people are not the only ones affected by neurotypical privilege. Neurodiversity is a broad concept, including the entire range of human experience. We recognize that people labeled with ADD, ADHD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, and a multitude of other conditions considered disorders by society also experience marginalization. However, this list was constructed by autistic people and allies, and will surely fall short of addressing neurotypical privilege as it impacts other groups.

Additionally, the authors of this list acknowledge that the term “neurotypical” has been identified as problematic, since even persons who may not have a specified neurological difference may not see themselves as “typical,” and that there is technically no such thing as a “typical” brain. We understand—and celebrate—that every single individual is complex and unique. We have chosen “neurotypical” precisely because of its neutrality—it is neither positive nor negative. This is not the place to entertain long discussions about the perceived implications of the term. Those discussions only serve to derail conversations about truly vital issues, such as exclusion, abuse, torture, and murder.

In compiling this list, we have been acutely aware that the topic of privilege is one many people find hard to digest. For anyone who has not come across the concept before, or who feels that he or she does not fully understand what it means in this context, I highly recommend reading the original McIntosh article in its entirety before beginning the list of neurotypical privilege presented here. For those who find themselves feeling defensive upon reading, you are not alone. For most of us, this is a necessary part of the process of acknowledging and understanding privilege. Here are a few basic things to remember about privilege:

Privilege is not your fault. It is an artifact of systems that favor some people over others, systems that have evolved naturally to meet the needs of the majority, but have failed to provide adequate accommodations for those outside it. For more information on understanding and confronting privilege, please see this link.

Privilege is not, in itself, a terrible thing. Having any form of privilege does not make you a bad person. Just about everyone has some form of privilege. No, that doesn’t mean it all somehow “balances out.” A person can have, for example, white privilege, male privilege, class privilege, and heterosexual privilege, while still lacking neurotypical privilege. Likewise, not all autistic people have had the same experiences; other forms of privilege can act as a cushion against many of the harsher realities endured by those who belong to multiple disenfranchised groups.

The statement that privilege exists is not an accusation or attempt to blame. It is an invitation to see your experiences and the experiences of others in a new light. It is not an admonition to change the world, but a simple tool with which to begin considering if, possibly, some changes might be worth working toward.
Checklist of Neurotypical Privilege
Safety

1. I have never been told, because of my neurology, that I am incapable of feeling pain.

2. If I have a medical problem, I do not worry that my doctor will dismiss it as part of my neurotypicality.

3. When attempting to purchase health insurance, I know that I will not be rejected because I am NT.

4. If I am bullied or abused, people will not assume that my neurology means I am at least partially to blame, or that the abuse would stop if I tried harder to behave like someone else.

5. I can assume that police officers will not become alarmed at my natural body language and find it necessary to subdue me in advance of any wrongdoing.

6. I do not have to carry a special card or bracelet with me to explain my natural body movements or the sounds I naturally make.

7. I am not considered more dangerous and more likely to commit a crime because of my neurology.

8. People of my neurology are not generally considered burdensome to our families or to tax-payers.

9. Nobody will murder me because of my neurology.

10. If I am murdered, my murderer will not be let off because my murder was deemed “an act of mercy,” or given a light sentence because of the stress caused by interacting with me.

11. I do not have to fear that important decisions about my life will be made by others who are considered more qualified based on their neurology.

12. I am not expected to accept seclusion rooms, restraints, or neuro-enhancing drugs as conditions of my educational experience.

Inclusion

13. For a child of my neurotype, everyday teaching of the skills they will need to live in this society is called education or parenting—not therapy, treatment, or intervention.

14. If someone of my neurology can do something well, I will not be punished for being unable to do the same thing well or at all.

15. People do not constantly tell me that I need to work on the things which I am very bad at, at the expense of things which I am good at and enjoy doing.

16. People who have power over my education will probably not decide that, instead of receiving the academic education most of my peers receive, it would be best for me if my time in school were spent learning non-academic “skills.”

17. I can reveal my neurology to my boss and coworkers without fear of losing my job.

18. I can ask for technical or social support on the job without being seen as a troublemaker or charity case.

19. People do not automatically assume that the best place for me to live is an institution.

20. The majority of people who make the laws of my nation share my neurology.

21. The services that I need to survive not only already exist, but even if I use those services on a 24-hour basis, I will still be considered independent.

22. When I need help performing a particular task, I can ask for help without having to produce documentation to prove I actually need help with it. The help will most often be provided in a manner I can understand, and will not be considered an inconvenience or an act of pity.

23. No one sees my neurology as being in need of elimination or cure.

24. If I am visibly upset, people generally assume something must have upset me, and will generally try to help me.

25. People do not suggest that groups that are made for the benefit of people of my neurological type be led and ruled by people of a different neurological type, because mine is seen as inherently incapable.

26. I have never had to take a single test that determines, for my entire lifetime, whether I get to communicate.

Relationships

27. My family, friends, and significant others are not told that I am incapable of relating to other human beings.

28. If I am an adult, I can be a sexual being without the assumption that any partner attracted to me must be a predator or pedophile.

29. I am never told that I should not have children lest I pass on the genes that cause them to share my neurological type.

30. No one speculates about whether I am competent to raise children based solely on my neurology.

31. People do not assume that living in the same household as me is inherently “tragic” or “devastating,” or that my family, friends and partner will need a support group to deal with living with me.

32. I will not be asked to leave a public place, or to change where I live, because people are uncomfortable with my neurotypical behaviors.

33. If I am unhappy, people do not automatically assume my unhappiness is the result of me being who I am.

34. My opinions on social mores and societal issues are not dismissed based on my neurology or on the assumption that I am incapable of understanding how these things work. Likewise, my gender identity and sexual orientation are not discounted because of my neurology.
Respect

35. I expect people to presume intellect and competence with me.

36. If I fail, most will encourage me by telling me that I will ultimately succeed.

37. If I fail to understand autistic people, this is attributed to a deficit inherent in autistic people rather than in me.

38. If I have a particular talent or ability, I can demonstrate that talent without being called an “idiot savant” or my talent being called a “splinter skill” or some other demeaning word.

39. The definitions of rude and irritating conduct were developed by and for people with my neurology.

40. I am not praised for acting less neurotypical or punished for acting more neurotypical.

41. I am not expected to alter or suppress my natural ways of moving, interacting, or expressing emotion in most circumstances.

42. If I fail to alter or suppress my natural ways of moving, interacting, or expressing emotion, I do not fear public ridicule or exclusion because of this.

43. When prospective parents and others speak of wanting a “healthy child,” I know that they mean a child like me.

44. People don't accuse me of grandiosity or derisively dismiss it if I suggest that some admirable historical figure might have been neurotypical.

45. It is considered good for people who are not like me to try to act more like me.

46. My natural movements and traits are not used by my peers to ridicule others of their neurological type, either jokingly or maliciously.

47. I am never told that the fact I have a certain cognitive skill means that I am lying when I say I lack another cognitive skill. Nor am I dismissed as incapable of things I truly can do because I lack certain cognitive skills.

48. I can discuss my interests at length without this being viewed as a “symptom.”

49. When I communicate, people do not gather in crowds around me and gawk.

50. My behaviors, abilities, and skill levels at age 2 or 3 are considered indicative of an immature phase of life that will pass naturally, not as representative of my prognosis for the rest of life.

Definition of terms
Majority: The dominant group.
Minority: (1) A racial, religious, political, national, or other group thought to be different from the larger group of which it is part; (2) A group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society; (3) a member of one of these groups.

Neurotypical: (1) Having a type of neurology that is expected and/or favored by the society in which one lives. (i.e., having a “normal” or “typical” brain, and the typical sensory processing/body movements/facial expressions associated with a typical neurological system.)

We: (1) The people who helped to create this document—most of us autistic or with other less typical neurology; (2) those who support the recognition of human rights for autistic people and others with less typical neurology.
Posted 8th August 2009 by Bev
Labels: advocacy checklist discrimination prejudice privilege

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2015, 8:57 pm

No offense, but it would be more mindful to just post a link with a brief summary of what was said.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 10:26 pm

Hansgrohe wrote:
No offense, but it would be more mindful to just post a link with a brief summary of what was said.

m8, you're male, check your privilege ffs. If your avatar isn't you and you're white as well, then go off and flagellate yourself on the back 500 times.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 10:30 pm

That's Ice Cube, who is an American rapper.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 10:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's Ice Cube, who is an American rapper.

Oh >.>

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 7:07 pm

Many thanks for your insights, B19. The ignorance of select neuro/psych clinicians is staggering. Unwittingly, some posit themselves as authoritarians and thus their clients (victims) lose their civil rights. Such clinicians regard Asperger's individuals a priori as 'bad' or 'wrong', and feel wholly justified in inflicting their self-righteous attitudes. (B19, you may PM later if you wish).