I did something really dumb at work today

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 1:40 am

It seems like every day we get sooooooo many emails, from all of our departments and this and that and half of it means nothing, so I tend to ignore the ones that I assume have no bearing on my life. Friday I ignored one that was extremely important and almost got myself in big trouble. There will ramifications to deal with tomorrow, but it at least won't be as awful as it could have been. I wish I was better at filtering information because if I read all of those emails I would just go nuts!

I was wondering, would anybody here be interested in starting a club (in a thread) where we help each solve work problems and share tricks to deal with jobs and bosses and cowokers? I think it could be really great!

DanicaBananica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2015, 12:15 pm

I'm in - And I totally can relate to you. I'm glad I don't have to read through lengthy emails at work... I would lose interest very quickly - and my attention span, like the ability to filter junk from important ones would be something I could see myself having trouble with. Is there a folder that you could put emails in that you're not sure about? Perhaps have someone else help you read over the ones that you're not sure about?
Are they aware that you have AS, or Autism?
My boss knows, and she's very caring and understanding.

http://www.oneworldhealing.net

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 12:44 pm

One thing that helps me a little bit, is to automatically file emails according to category.

So, everything coming from HR or the Executives etc, I have a rule that puts them all in an organizational data folder.
I have another rule that says anything with the title of X that means I have to take action on it is moved to another folder.
Other things like Meetings & Events, or coworkers who forward me cat pics, etc get put into another folder.

Then my inbox is only things like from my boss or my users, which will be regarding my day to day concerns.

I'll take a little time and read emails from each segment in a single block, like, today I'll read the organizational stuff, and make a task for anything I need to do (check insurance forms, take a survey, etc).
Then tomorrow I'll read everything in my actions folder and make tasks for the things I need to do there.

The last folder of stuff that isn't really related to my work, I'll just let that collect until I am bored.

I don't want to read a bunch on different topics, because I'd become overwhelmed or things would fall through the cracks, I just find it easier to read in chunks. I like the email rules that filter this stuff out, sure, it takes a little setup, but, it's worth it to me to keep my inbox cleared out so I don't get anxiety about everything staring me in the face at once.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 10:47 pm

That's a really good system. I usually at least skim the emails when they come in, but this one email was about a deadline and we get the same email about the same deadline every month so I just thought it was the same day as always. THe heading was the same but the date was changed. Oy!

I'm a mess, can't even come up with much advice - except I use OneNote to organize information, but that's only when I remember to log it. I wish I had way to force myself to remember.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 8:44 am

wozeree wrote:
That's a really good system. I usually at least skim the emails when they come in, but this one email was about a deadline and we get the same email about the same deadline every month so I just thought it was the same day as always. THe heading was the same but the date was changed. Oy!

I'm a mess, can't even come up with much advice - except I use OneNote to organize information, but that's only when I remember to log it. I wish I had way to force myself to remember.

Yeah, I've heard from others in here to use OneNote to help stay organized, but, I didn't consistently do it and just couldn't seem to force myself to.