Page 10 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 5:58 pm

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
If you're not trying to demonise and ostracise the muslim community then I apologise, but it certainly looks that way from what you've been writing.

On the topic of "muslim leaders" I should point out that I am a Quranist muslim and so do not believe in organised religion or the legitimacy of anyone to claim more authority on interpreting the word of God than another. The reason I defend those who do is that I do not believe it is ok to discriminate against and criminalise any group, whether it be Jews, African Americans or another.

In the virtues of tolerance, empathy and understanding lies a better world for all.

So if the Isis dogs reason as you they can follow a bloody interpretation and deny any authority of Islam? Certainly you would not defend such actions, nor would the leaders of Islam (who you do not bow to), so my question is: Do the leaders not condemn because they would not deny even such people, as long as they are Muslim, their right to interpretation?

If the above question is overly insensitive please forgive, but I am trying to understand the implication of your statement.

It is the virtues of tolerance, empathy and understanding that we all look for in others. But I wonder how others lives and minds interpret these words. I hope we're close. :D

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2015, 5:59 pm

Humanaut wrote:
Self-declared Muslims who pretend to represent Islam while at the same time rejecting Sharia cannot be taken seriously. They are not Muslims, and would be executed for apostasy and blasphemy in regions governed by Islamic law. What they say means nothing compared to the atrocities committed under Sharia, which is the true face of Islam.

So why do you only recognise extremists views on what a muslim is? Do you think extremists are superior? Wouldn't suprise me as you seem to share much in common with them...

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2015, 6:02 pm

ZenDen wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
If you're not trying to demonise and ostracise the muslim community then I apologise, but it certainly looks that way from what you've been writing.

On the topic of "muslim leaders" I should point out that I am a Quranist muslim and so do not believe in organised religion or the legitimacy of anyone to claim more authority on interpreting the word of God than another. The reason I defend those who do is that I do not believe it is ok to discriminate against and criminalise any group, whether it be Jews, African Americans or another.

In the virtues of tolerance, empathy and understanding lies a better world for all.

So if the Isis dogs reason as you they can follow a bloody interpretation and deny any authority of Islam? Certainly you would not defend such actions, nor would the leaders of Islam (who you do not bow to), so my question is: Do the leaders not condemn because they would not deny even such people, as long as they are Muslim, their right to interpretation?

If the above question is overly insensitive please forgive, but I am trying to understand the implication of your statement.

It is the virtues of tolerance, empathy and understanding that we all look for in others. But I wonder how others lives and minds interpret these words. I hope we're close. :D

It's maybe late night revision-brain, but I couldn't understand your wording. Care to rephrase/clarify?

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2015, 6:13 pm

Adamantium wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
On the topic of "muslim leaders" I should point out that I am a Quranist muslim and so do not believe in organised religion or the legitimacy of anyone to claim more authority on interpreting the word of God than another.

This is a very important point. Too many people in the west tend to think that Islam must be a sort of analogue to Chrsitianity. They have the simplistic idea that Muhammed has roughly the same place in Islam as Jesus in Christianity and think the various imams, muftis, allamahs and ayatollahs must be roughly equivalent to cardinals, bishops, priests, and pastors.... and so on. It is hard for people raised in the centralized power systems of schismatic Christianity to realize that Islam does not have truly analogous hierarchies.

Quote:
The reason I defend those who do is that I do not believe it is ok to discriminate against and criminalise any group, whether it be Jews, African Americans or another.

Yes!

Yes, Islam is far less centralised ideologically than an organisation such as the Catholic church, although modern day protestantism is also quite decentralised and so could probably have parallels drawn.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 6:21 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Keep killing and killing until they're all gone?
Ideally, yes.
This type of thing is your intellectual, moral, etc. "Ideal?"

Yes of course. Killing members of ISIS and similar organizations is undoubtedly the right thing to do. It's a non-controversial practice. Only obscure fringe elements (and the barbarians themselves) would disagree.

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
Self-declared Muslims who pretend to represent Islam while at the same time rejecting Sharia cannot be taken seriously. They are not Muslims, and would be executed for apostasy and blasphemy in regions governed by Islamic law. What they say means nothing compared to the atrocities committed under Sharia, which is the true face of Islam.
So why do you only recognise extremists views on what a muslim is? Do you think extremists are superior? Wouldn't suprise me as you seem to share much in common with them...

The word of Allah, according to Muhammad, as laid out in the Quran, is the foundation of Islam. A follower of Islam is called a Muslim. Someone who rejects the doctrine is not a Muslim, by definition.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 6:36 pm

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:

It's maybe late night revision-brain, but I couldn't understand your wording. Care to rephrase/clarify?

Certainly.

You say: "... I am a Quranist muslim and so do not believe in organised religion or the legitimacy of anyone to claim more authority on interpreting the word of God than another." I hope this is not out of context.

I'm trying to understand the meaning of "legitimacy of anyone to claim more authority on interpreting the word of God than another."

Unless I am missing something it seems "another" might be someone who believes a "less peaceful purpose" is what the Quran teaches and so lives their life accordingly. Although there may be violence involved a "Quranist muslim " as you describe yourself, should not condemn such, as it arises from their interpretation of Mohammed's words? I could be way off here.

And would you say someone's interpreting "the word of God" which then leads to violence and death should not be condemned? It's this condemnation by the leaders of Islam against those who kill the innocent, that westerners want to hear.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
11:32 wrote:
... it's just that certain conservative news channels - ahem fox ahem - tend to ignore us when we do as it doesn't fit in with the narrative they like to portray of us ... There are many muslims however who are getting sick of the rhetoric that every time some idiot does something while claiming to be a Muslim that they should apologise as if they are responsible for it. We don't ask all Christians to apologise for the KKK or the inquisition, I don't expect all Irish people to apologise because the IRA tried to blow me up when I was four years old and neither should all muslims be expected to apologise for people who more often than not are also killing actual muslims.
I can go along with all that. But I also ask that moderate believers everywhere speak out more loudly and more often against the violently radical elements of their own stated religions - whether Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Jew, Muslim, or Whatever. I am not asking you to apologize for anything. Instead, I am asking you to be more vocal in your condemnations of false Islamists. Please?
I'm pretty sure he's already done that already in this thread.
Yes, in this thread. But how about at the Mosque? Is it permitted to speak during Wudhu?

I'm rather vocal about my views, sometimes even dangerously so lol

Wudhu is just washing, I don't tend to talk while washing but it doesn't take that long anyway. In the mosque I frequented before I moved house though there used to be a lot of talk and friendly debate, as well as one day a week there would be talks by different people about subjects they are knowledgeable about, whether about Islam or - perhaps more controversially - about historical topics such as the history of Palestine.

The management of that mosque has changed since then though and the times I go up there does seem to be a sort of tension, perhaps as there have been more attacks on the local Islamic community in the past few years (leaving many people afraid), and there has been a change of Imam since to someone who seems a bit less liberally minded to me. In fact there was a schism around that, as there was an influx of people from a certain country who seemed to not like the previous Imam and kinda forced him out...

Even with that though, last year when there was a controversy where the first minister of the country practically incited racial hatred against muslims, they handled it like pros (with maturity and liberalism) and he had to eat his words (even going to visit the mosque and pose for press photos lol).

There was once two guys that came to the mosque trying to recruit for Al Qaeda, and they were promptly reported to the police and as far as I know went to prison, so I think it's clear to say the local muslim population in NI is quite against extremism.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm

Humanaut wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Keep killing and killing until they're all gone?
Ideally, yes.
This type of thing is your intellectual, moral, etc. "Ideal?"

YOU SAY: Yes of course. Killing members of ISIS and similar organizations is undoubtedly the right thing to do. It's a non-controversial practice. Only obscure fringe elements (and the barbarians themselves) would disagree.[/quote}

But I say: Only in your head my friend.

It isn't that I haven't heard fringe elements from time to time suggesting we "nuke" them. But I don't agree with these people either. I imagine your statement was supposed to sound stupid and shallow because of long standing hatreds you may harbor which would then bring your hatred to the fore. You've succeeded. But, I believe, most are not interested.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2015, 6:52 pm

ZenDen wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:

Certainly.

You say: "... I am a Quranist muslim and so do not believe in organised religion or the legitimacy of anyone to claim more authority on interpreting the word of God than another." I hope this is not out of context.

I'm trying to understand the meaning of "legitimacy of anyone to claim more authority on interpreting the word of God than another."

Unless I am missing something it seems "another" might be someone who believes a "less peaceful purpose" is what the Quran teaches and so lives their life accordingly. Although there may be violence involved a "Quranist muslim " as you describe yourself, should not condemn such, as it arises from their interpretation of Mohammed's words? I could be way off here.

And would you say someone's interpreting "the word of God" which then leads to violence and death should not be condemned? It's this condemnation by the leaders of Islam against those who kill the innocent, that westerners want to hear.

There's a difference between interpreting the Quran independently and willfully manipulating and promoting a violent interpretation for political purposes, as done by Saudi Arabia with Wahhabism. While many people are manipulated by the leaders of organisations such as ISIS - even believing what they are doing is in some warped way "right" - the ultimate goal of the leaders of such organisations is not religion but power.

It's almost as if they are weaponising the religion as a way to control masses of weak-minded individuals who don't realise they are being manipulated. It's a problem that can happen in socially minded species such as us humans, as the less intelligent of us often externalise their moral compass to the moral code of the society around them (how people like the Nazi's where able to rise to power and commit atrocities).

I personally feel any violence by any person should be condemned. I also feel that the muslim community as a whole has condemned these things more than we get credit for.

Last edited by eleventhirtytwo on 11 Jan 2015, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 6:54 pm

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
It's almost as if they are weaponising the religion as a way to control masses of weak-minded individuals who don't realise they are being manipulated.

There's no 'almost' about it. You just described a fundamental problem with all dogmatic religions.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 6:55 pm

ZenDen wrote:
I imagine your statement was supposed to sound stupid and shallow because of long standing hatreds you may harbor which would then bring your hatred to the fore. You've succeeded. But, I believe, most are not interested.

Most people fully support the ongoing military operations against ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Taliban, and similar organizations.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2015, 7:03 pm

adifferentname wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
It's almost as if they are weaponising the religion as a way to control masses of weak-minded individuals who don't realise they are being manipulated.

There's no 'almost' about it. You just described a fundamental problem with all dogmatic religions.

Same is probably true of many political philosophies as well, or in fact any way in which people define themselves. How many times have people marched to war to defend their "culture" or the "supremacy" of their "nationality"?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 7:22 pm

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Same is probably true of many political philosophies as well, or in fact any way in which people define themselves. How many times have people marched to war to defend their "culture" or the "supremacy" of their "nationality"?

You won't get any argument from me. Jingoism is on a par with religiosity.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 9:02 pm

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
On the topic of "muslim leaders" I should point out that I am a Quranist muslim and so do not believe in organised religion or the legitimacy of anyone to claim more authority on interpreting the word of God than another.

This is a very important point. Too many people in the west tend to think that Islam must be a sort of analogue to Chrsitianity. They have the simplistic idea that Muhammed has roughly the same place in Islam as Jesus in Christianity and think the various imams, muftis, allamahs and ayatollahs must be roughly equivalent to cardinals, bishops, priests, and pastors.... and so on. It is hard for people raised in the centralized power systems of schismatic Christianity to realize that Islam does not have truly analogous hierarchies.

Quote:
The reason I defend those who do is that I do not believe it is ok to discriminate against and criminalise any group, whether it be Jews, African Americans or another.

Yes!

Yes, Islam is far less centralised ideologically than an organisation such as the Catholic church, although modern day protestantism is also quite decentralised and so could probably have parallels drawn.

It really depends on which branch of Protestantism you're talking about.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 12:22 am

Sigbold wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The prophet is referred to as a messenger and is actually no more venerable than other prophets in the Al-Quran (including Jesus). So I'm curious why "outraged" muslims don't froth at the mouth when there are millions of images desecrating Jesus??

I think the reason is that those images are meant to attack Christianity and not Islam. So they probably do not perceive it as a mocking of the prophet Isa, nor as in an insult of their identity.

That's an interesting perspective. So it's perception that the portrayal of Christ (representing the christian Jesus) is not their prophet Jesus? (muslims call him Nabi Isa). Of course that's pretty ignorant and illogical if they believe that but stomp their feet over caricatures of Mohammed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 1:12 am

Humanaut wrote:

I've read some fairly spirited defense by muslim scholars about how Shariah Law is not mentioned in the Al-Quran but instead there is reference to a "just society" (which they leave deliberately vague).

I've dug up my English translation of the Quran, the following Surah states the issue of law clearly!!
"Shall I seek other than God as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed?" 6:114
Surah 6:114 contains clear confirmation that:
- God is the only source of law.
- The Quran has all the details.

This means two things i) a true muslim must follow the Quran in all matters relating to law and ii) cherry picking what Surahs in the Quran to follow is not acceptable for a true muslim. It's fairly self-evident that a true muslim MUST follow ALL the Quranic teaching, including how to deal with non-believers.

To conclude the only law a true muslim can follow is "shariah law" which codifies the instructions of Allah directly from the Quran. For example
- requiring that prisoners be punished through amputation of limbs
- adultery punished by 100 lashes and/or execution by stoning
- a muslim not practicing the 5 pillars of islam punishable by death
- where a society is predominantly muslim then secular law (non-Quranic) is not permitted
- in a muslim majority society you are permitted to exclude all non-muslims from positions of government, administration or policy
- non-muslims are required to pay a tax (even if they are starving) in order to live with muslims until such time they convert, the Jizya tax is actually referred to as a symbol of humiliation on non-believers.
- in islam a muslim female is forbidden to marry a non-muslim (this is exactly the same as modern christian cults in order their numbers increase)
- non-muslims are not permitted to testify legally against a muslim (this basically means a muslim can rape or torture a non-muslim such as happens in Egypt or Pakistan and not face legal prosecution on the basis their victim has no legal rights)

Basically, the command of non-Muslims over Muslims in never admissible, because God Almighty said: 'Allah will not give access to the infidels (i.e. Christians) to have authority over believers (Muslims) {Qur'an 4:141}. For God - Glory be to Him - has elevated Muslims to the highest rank (over all men) and foreordained to them the might, by virtue of the Quranic text. Furthermore the Quran is EXPLICIT
- muslims must not dress like non-muslims (this alone means most muslims are not following the Quran)
- attend non-muslim festivals (i.e. Christmas)
- work for non-muslims in a role where they must obey (again plenty not following this Quranic edict)

In light of the Charlie Hebdo attack, many muslims claim they support western freedom of speech. Once again this is against their Quranic teaching. Infact the Quran makes it clear that

Surah 33:57 Those who insult [aa-dh-aa] God and His Messenger will be rejected by God in this world and the next—He has prepared a humiliating punishment for them— 58 and those who undeservedly insult [aa-dh-aa] believing men and women will bear the guilt of slander and obvious sin.

Surah 9:61 There are others who insult [aa-dh-aa] the Prophet by saying, "He will listen to anything." [Muhammad,] Say, "He listens for your own good" . . . An agonizing torment awaits those who insult [aa-dh-aa] God’s Messenger

Quranic law applies to non-believers the same, so transgression involving slandering the prophet is technically a punishable offense. A true muslim is therefore vindicated by the Quran for seeking retribution such as committed against Charlie Hebdo's cartoonists....