How can I get a live desktop background on laptop?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 4:27 pm

I have an acer laptop, windows 7, browser is Chrome. I keep getting bored of whatever desktop backgrounds I have, and I would like to know if I can get those live desktop backgrounds, like fish swimming about in an aquarium or something. I've looked on the internet to see if I can download some live desktop background themes, but I've only come across a few that I'm not sure is safe or not. I have an updated antivirus but I've had viruses still being able to get into my computer from downloading stuff off the internet, and corrupting everything, which resulted in getting a computer technician out to remove the virus, costing me at least £70. I don't wish that to happen again. For example, I came across a good aquarium desktop background theme, but then when I was about to let it download, I saw the word ''iLivid'', and I had this feeling that iLivid would be the sort of thing to infect my computer and take over the whole thing, so I cancelled that.

Does anyone know of any SAFE and FREE sites where I can download desktop background themes and such? Or, to be completely safe, does anyone know if there's perhaps a disc I can buy from a shop what can install all sorts of themes and different things like that for your computer? I think posters from the UK are better off answering that one.

Thanks.

Exec360
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm

Hi,
I've seen many programs online that do that, but most of them are viruses. If you find one, don't just click the download button.

Live backgrounds would also consume more CPU and RAM (memory) if you ran those and eat up your battery.
My suggestion is to create a custom slideshow (Control Panel > Personalization) and those don't take up much CPU or RAM at all or waste battery life.

Sincerely,
Exec360

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 6:12 pm

I haven't bothered with it but I bet you'd like Rainmeter. Lets you download other people's visual modifications or teaches you to script your own. Sky's the limit...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Exec360
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm

cberg wrote:
I haven't bothered with it but I bet you'd like Rainmeter. Lets you download other people's visual modifications or teaches you to script your own. Sky's the limit...

cberg, I agree with you. I've used GeekTool on my Mac, and Rainmeter is good for PC. It's also good for learning beginning scripting and programming.

- Exec360