Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 8:18 am

i do survies over the phone. it's about service the bank is providing, so many people are eager to answer. we have two supervisors. one rather nice, and the other extremely nice and friendly, and once found a lost dog's owner. such a sweet person she is. she talks small talk to the workers during break time and sometimes during work.

it takes an hour and a half to get to work, and lots of walking to the bus, and then from the bus station, but I refuse to take two buses.

i pretend the people i talk to are answering machines or robots. the computer dials on its on, so i dont have to punch numbers. during break i usually stay away from the others and pace back and forth in the hall.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 9:12 am

I don't want to give details of my work here as I'm paranoid about being recognized by people IRL if they ever read my post. So I'd just say my work is in science/analysis. Work itself is interesting.

I never have to deal with clients myself, which is very nice. I have a few bosses. One is expendable and incompetent but is extremely good at interacting with people (except with me). Another is technically skilled but extremely rude, arrogant, childish and full of ego. Everyone is scared of him. My current colleagues are not too bad. The culture of the company is negative and hypocritical. I'm ashamed to work there.

I catch the train to go to work. From home to work, it takes 25 minutes, including walking and the train ride.

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 9:23 am

jk1 wrote:
I don't want to give details of my work here as I'm paranoid about being recognized by people IRL if they ever read my post.
For what it's worth, I'm in between where you state you are and being more "open" about it. By that I mean I'm not going to give my full name, or name of where I work, but if anyone IRL does a Google search on one of my license plates of the cars I drive (both personalized), then it wouldn't be too much effort to find me. To be honest, it'd take more time than a curious individual would have to do, so I'm not too concerned. I only know because I occasionally try to connect the dots myself -- it's doable, but takes a few hours to get from point A to point B, and knowing what false positives to avoid. Was even easier when my username was one similar to yours, a common acronym that unrelated individuals would use on their own. Anyways...

My job is interesting to say the least. I'm a web developer for an insurance company. Basically I'm the guy that does the database and coding logic to make something work. Case in point: when a customer gets a quote for insurance, we need to take all the factors into account, do the rating on it, then translate that into printing a PDF with different spots where information is printed. That's just an example though, there's a lot more like it out there. It's challenging, but since my mind thinks so much like a computer, it's like speaking the language of my own brain.

What really makes it fun is the environment. Most of the time "work" is thought of as "an 8 to 5 job", where you clock in, do stuff that's mundane, then clock out. Not so for me. We often use IM programs to communicate within our department (currently about 10 people), and we have a lot of fun there. Sometimes we have royal, royal screw-ups, but no one's ever been fired for it, and we always have fun at their expense.

Case in point: I managed to do something that caused our database to grow exponentially any time there was an error. Somehow it wasn't caught in our development environment, and when it went to production, I kid you not, every single system we had was shut down for several hours! We simply ran out of hard drive space and all of production just stopped in its tracks. We of course were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to figure out what the problem was. When I found the problem, I told my coworker something to the effect of "uh, oops, just figured out it's my fault". Unbeknownst to me, my boss was in his cube, and responded with "so you found it?" I was fearing for my job for a few seconds until he came over and asked what the problem was, at which point I showed him, and both of us agreed that we just needed to get it fixed immediately. Did that, and after about half an hour of additional work, everything was all squared away, good as new. If I recall correctly, that was about a year ago, and I'm still there and we're still growing.

Hilariously, it was a few months after this point that I got a massive 16% raise. Go figure :lol:

So all in all, it's a very good place to work. I can't complain at all about it, and not to sound egotistical or anything, but I know full-well that even though there are better-paying opportunities out there, none of them will be as fun as this is, and truth be told, I know full-well I've got a massive knowledgebase that they would suffer quite a bit if I just up and left. It's the biggest reason why I've sold myself on the idea that if something ever comes up (career advancement, change of direction, etc.) and it comes time for me to part on good terms, I start out going part-time or on a consultant-liaison-type deal for a while until I know they can survive without me, then move on. But hopefully that won't be for a very, very long time to come! :D

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Jan 2015, 12:45 pm

My job is extremely boring. I manufacture polyresin buckets and lids, and also install different parts into the products. It's repetitive and makes me nearly cry from boredom. But I'm pretty good at it, oddly enough. :?

My supervisor is really nice, but the manager is a d*ckhead to say the least. I stayed home for two unscheduled days because I caught the stomach flu, called in and everything, and he still punished me for it. :evil:

Brung
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2015, 2:34 pm

Currently pump gas at a station. Made a mistake, got docked $30 pay on Wednesday. Ride the bus with one transfer to get there. Takes about half an hour to 40 minutes to get there - $5 a day commute. The 2 older brothers who own the station/garage are major a-holes, so I decided to quit. F 'em!