Page 1 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 12:33 am

Cberg hereby dedicates the ensuing thread to the most bizarre song of any kind you've listened to recently, I'll start:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 4:02 am

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 4:51 am

Believe it or not I already knew Fish Heads. Sugarcube fits the bill rather strangely and I have a neighbor who will REALLY appreciate Killer p****. Just because I want this thread to stay bumped eternally if nobody stickies it, I'll continue;

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 5:06 am

BUMP FOR GLORY!

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 5:12 am

^Aww, most of those are my favorite bands...I own every Barnes & Barnes album and I actually just saw The Dickies live last night. :?

"Weird" is subjective. A lot of people can look at a Frank Zappa album and call it weird, but I see it as truly brilliant art. Same for all the progressive music I listen to: twenty-minute songs with weird keyboard solos are thought of as strange, but it's the norm for me. Same goes for psychedelia and Krautrock.

I've had these CD compilations called 'Songs in the Key of Z' since high school, which were a collection of some of the strangest music known to man, largely songs by eccentric and/or certifiably mentally unbalanced people. I loved those CDs so much...there was such a genuine human quality to them. I wish they were on YouTube, but alas; I highly recommend people hunt down those compilations if they want a good taste of truly "weird" music.

Outside of that, Captain Beefheart's 'Trout Mask Replica' is an incomprehensible mess that would repulse 90% of people, but it's an amazingly influential work of experimental art.

I love Gong; they were definitely on the stranger and more surreal end of 1970s psychedelia. 'Flying Teapot' and 'Angel's Egg' are definitely a highlight of theirs as far as weirdness goes.

The Residents are a mind-blowlingly prolific multi-media performance art ensemble, but their music is just as impenetrable. 'Commercial Album', for example.

Magma are one of my favorites: they're a Zeuhl band (kind of a fusion of rock, classical and jazz fusion) whose frontman actually created his own language to sing the band's music in. 'Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh' is their masterpiece.

Cardiacs are one of my favorite bands of all time, but their schizophrenic mix of punk, prog, pop and psychedelia turns a lot of people off. None of their albums are on YouTube, but their music videos are just as frightening. Their influence is undeniable on the likes of Mr. Bungle, though Mr. Bungle played up their weirdness while the Cardiacs were just themselves.

The Butthole Surfers were known for writing, recording and performing their music on copious amounts of hallucinogenics, and it shows. Their mix of hardcore punk and psychedelia is incredible, from their unhinged first album 'Psychic... Powerless... Another Man's Sac' to the slightly more reigned-in 'Locust Abortion Technician', which is my favorite of theirs. Hate to say it, but after they sobered up, they weren't as good anymore.

People call Tiny Tim "weird", which I guess goes without saying for a falsetto-voiced ukulele player, but I'm adamant about the fact that 'God Bless Tiny Tim' was one of the very best albums of the 1960s, right alongside The Beatles and the Beach Boys.

I'm a huge supporter of 'The Kids of Widney High', a vocal band consisting of physically and mentally disabled kids from Los Angeles. They used to play a lot of punk shows in the '90s, and they're still kicking around today. They're a novelty, sure, but it's an awesome, empowering project. So help me God, if I catch any of you laughing at these kids, you're in for a whoopin'. :x

That's what immediately comes to mind, and that's as weird as I get. I don't delve too much into experimental music.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 5:14 am

I didn't want to waste space posting YouTube links, but I might as well save them for the not one, but four bands which I happen to be involved with. Not an actual *member*, unfortunately, but I've pretty much carried gear, sold t-shirts, helped with onstage props, controlled pyro effects and/or put on a costume and ran around on stage with these guys for almost two years.

The Radioactive Chicken Heads, a punk rock poultry band:

Mac Sabbath, a fast food-themed Black Sabbath tribute band:

Rosemary's Billygoat, a prop-heavy pyro-crazy hard rock band:

Haunted Garage, a horror punk band with a penchant for blood spray and disembowelment:

Los Angeles is just chock full of crazy novelty bands and I absolutely love it. Forget "real" music, these guys have actual FUN...you don't really see that in bands anymore.

Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 6:39 am

This is about as weird as it gets.. I'm curious to know what drugs he was on when he wrote this masterpiece. 8O

It combines opera, theater and death metal, and the lyrics are mostly nonsensical. The rest of the album besides this song follows the format but isn't nearly as.. what's the best adjective.. I don't know, it's not nearly as in your face as this song.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 9:24 am

to qualify as "strange music ", it must be music. it must have a chordal structure within a melodic sequence.
much "contemporary" music that tries to be enigmatic or strange is just sound paintings that are completely phonic in basis and they have no fundament in musical structure.

anyway, some music that i have been engrossed with that no-one i ever showed it to understood is from frank zappa.
no- one i know seems to understand the "long term" or "extended" structure of the songs.

this one may be too fast for their brains. i do not know.

here is another that i find is probably beyond the scope of average listeners due to the fact that i can interest no-one in it in real life.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 10:09 am

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 12:50 pm

886 wrote:
This is about as weird as it gets.. I'm curious to know what drugs he was on when he wrote this masterpiece. 8O

It combines opera, theater and death metal, and the lyrics are mostly nonsensical. The rest of the album besides this song follows the format but isn't nearly as.. what's the best adjective.. I don't know, it's not nearly as in your face as this song.

I share your curiosity. I imagine this might be the result if Salvia Divinorum were also a stimulant. Facking magical.

Anyways...

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 1:34 pm

That was some awesome Zappa as well. Dental Floss Tycoon is really the tip of the iceberg...
This one seems like the proper response to the Devin Townsend Project;

Mort
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2015, 5:10 pm

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 5:13 pm

b9 wrote:
to qualify as "strange music ", it must be music. it must have a chordal structure within a melodic sequence.
much "contemporary" music that tries to be enigmatic or strange is just sound paintings that are completely phonic in basis and they have no fundament in musical structure.

anyway, some music that i have been engrossed with that no-one i ever showed it to understood is from frank zappa.
no- one i know seems to understand the "long term" or "extended" structure of the songs.

this one may be too fast for their brains. i do not know.

here is another that i find is probably beyond the scope of average listeners due to the fact that i can interest no-one in it in real life.

How can I forget Frank Zappa?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 5:18 pm

Mort wrote:

Loved this song since 1973

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 2:59 am

Experimental German Industrial Percussion 8)

Einstürzende Neubauten

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 3:27 am

886 wrote:

That album was written a couple of years after Devin became sober. The only drug he was on was his pure talent and creativity.