Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

becky72
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2015, 10:53 am

I have been diagnosed with selective mutism but have realised over the last few years that I have many traits associated with Aspergers / High functioning autism. So I was wondering how people who have been diagnosed with AS/HFA respond when put in a social situation.

When someone speaks to me quite often I will just become so overwhelmed that I just shut down and don't know how to make words come out. Especially to certain people or groups of people.

I've noticed people I've known diagnosed with AS who outwardly act this same way (Blank face, not speaking, generally quite obviously not wanting to be there).

So I was wondering if anyone could describe what goes through their head in social situations?

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 10:57 am

Hey becky,

I think quite a few people with autism experience that it gets harder to speak as you get more overwhelmed. Me, I've never gone completely mute so far, but my answers will become shorter and shorter and eventually, if it's too much, I just usually stare at a fixed point on the floor or table and don't speak unless absolutely necessary. And even if I feel good I don't speak much, I rather listen.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2015, 10:59 am

I'm like this. I kind of fold in on myself when I'm around too many people, especially people I do not know well. There is a sensory overload that happens where hearing people laugh and talk loudly and feeling them stand to close to me is physically painful. I have never been a person who could handle parties or social functions for very long for that reason. I have intense anxiety and just feel the need to escape.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 11:07 am

Quote:
How do you act in social situations?

the same way as i act in non social situations.
i do not really act anyway. i guess that is a problem if i saw it as such.