When should you have access to a lot of money?

Page 6 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:02 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
That's right, the Boomers pretty much said "turn on, tune in and drop out" in the immortal words of their icon, Timothy Leary and a lot of them spent their young adulthood smoking weed while dissing authority.

The hippies were actually a very small minority.

Not exactly.

They were.

There were some places where they would congregate such as some universities and in some cities such as San Francisco, California and Taos, New Mexico. If you spent all your time in those places, you might think that there were more than there really were.

In the vast majority of towns and cities around the country, you would likely never see a hippie except on tv. I don't know if I ever saw any real hippies at all back then.

Keep in mind that the haircuts and popular attire at the time was worn by far more than just the hippies.

By the way, Timothy Leary was associated with LSD, not marijuana.

I disagree. The rock music industry, which was largely founded and became what it was because of Boomers and Hippies says different. It was very lucrative and it pretty much became this huge industry due to the Hippies and counter culture. This suggests it was indeed quite a widespread movement, and especially around college campuses all over the US and in parts of Europe.

Before the sixties and seventies, rock music existed but it wasn't as lucrative and you didn't see those screaming fans in quite as great a number. The Beatles became hippies at one point. It was quite the fashion to be a hippy.

I understand it now. All you know about hippies is from tv.

If rock music depended on hippies to survive, it would never have existed.

And that's why so many people in the audience had long hair, flairs, smoked weed? Because not that many hippies were in their audience? Just a small amount and a lot of clean cut kids?
Most the clean cut ones didn't show up at rock concerts. Dunno how many bought records. There were multitudes of long haired pot smokers at concerts that much is true. I went to concerts as a teen, though the hippies were before my time, and there was pot smoke in every nook and cranny and it used to give me migraines, lol. So yeah, a lot of people were clutching those hippy ideals decades after.

And most the people at the arenas were teenagers and young adults so it was pretty much a youth thing. I didn't see any older hippies there, so I guess they either didn't like the newer bands much or they were busy going to see the older ones...

My guess is they might have been saving up their money for Willie Nelson.

My point is, many people do grow out of it so it only looks like a small amount when really it's just a lot of young people but it's a good amount of that demographic, get what I am saying?

Are you one of those people who believes hardly anyone likes Lady Gaga?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:10 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
That's right, the Boomers pretty much said "turn on, tune in and drop out" in the immortal words of their icon, Timothy Leary and a lot of them spent their young adulthood smoking weed while dissing authority.

The hippies were actually a very small minority.

Not exactly.

They were.

There were some places where they would congregate such as some universities and in some cities such as San Francisco, California and Taos, New Mexico. If you spent all your time in those places, you might think that there were more than there really were.

In the vast majority of towns and cities around the country, you would likely never see a hippie except on tv. I don't know if I ever saw any real hippies at all back then.

Keep in mind that the haircuts and popular attire at the time was worn by far more than just the hippies.

By the way, Timothy Leary was associated with LSD, not marijuana.

I disagree. The rock music industry, which was largely founded and became what it was because of Boomers and Hippies says different. It was very lucrative and it pretty much became this huge industry due to the Hippies and counter culture. This suggests it was indeed quite a widespread movement, and especially around college campuses all over the US and in parts of Europe.

Before the sixties and seventies, rock music existed but it wasn't as lucrative and you didn't see those screaming fans in quite as great a number. The Beatles became hippies at one point. It was quite the fashion to be a hippy.

I understand it now. All you know about hippies is from tv.

If rock music depended on hippies to survive, it would never have existed.

And that's why so many people in the audience had long hair, flairs, smoked weed? Because not that many hippies were in their audience? Just a small amount and a lot of clean cut kids?
Most the clean cut ones didn't show up at rock concerts. Dunno how many bought records. There were multitudes of long haired pot smokers at concerts that much is true. I went to concerts as a teen, though the hippies were before my time, and there was pot smoke in every nook and cranny and it used to give me migraines, lol. So yeah, a lot of people were clutching those hippy ideals decades after.

And most the people at the arenas were teenagers and young adults so it was pretty much a youth thing. I didn't see any older hippies there, so I guess they either didn't like the newer bands much or they were busy going to see the older ones...

My point is, many people do grow out of it so it only looks like a small amount when really it's just a lot of young people but it's a good amount of that demographic, get what I am saying?

Are you one of those people who believes hardly anyone likes Lady Gaga?

Wearing bell bottoms and sandals and having long hair did not make one a hippie.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:14 pm

There are still hippies today.

One of them in Austin ran for governor a few years ago. He said that he wasn't going to start campaigning until shortly before the election because as he put it (from memory) "anyone who would vote for me doesn't have much in the way of long term memory".

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:14 pm

eric76 wrote:
Wearing bell bottoms and sandals and having long hair did not make one a hippie.

Well, uh, it's a good start...along with all that stench of 10,000 marijuana cigarettes all lit at once... 8O

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:16 pm

eric76 wrote:

One of them in Austin ran for governor a few years ago. He said that he wasn't going to start campaigning until shortly before the election because as he put it (from memory) "anyone who would vote for me doesn't have much in the way of long term memory".

Haha and of course Willie Nelson's one of the most famous ones! He draws a good crowd.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:27 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Haha and of course Willie Nelson's one of the most famous ones! He draws a good crowd.

I'd hardly consider WIllie Nelson to be a hippie.

If you had said The Mamas and The Papas, I would have agreed with you. Willie Nelson is a hard working musician. He smokes dope (I assume he still does in spite of many years of health problems), but he is a very hard working musician.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:37 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Not if you have a partner and started a family..that's a really good way to learn how to organize and manage...
Again, you associate maturity with experience and they are separate things. Maturity comes with age and helps you be responsible. If you are immature and given too much responsibility, it can be a recipe for failure.

So now people are supposed to wait until 40 to start a job and not only are they borrowing money against future earnings for themselves, they are borrowing enough to support children too? What a nightmare scenario for their future selves.

People borrow money against themselves all the time in the form of credit and most don't even make enough to live without it. They can't afford to take care of their basic needs. You are busy critiquing me but you offer no better alternatives. People always want to criticize others but they won't come up with anything else.

The reason I am critiquing you is because your plan takes something negative about the current system- people borrowing more than they can afford to borrow- and expands on it until it's the totality of the system. Do you think it's a good thing that people now often go badly into debt for necessities? I don't. That's why I have such horror at your system, which encourages a truly horrifying level of debt- far more than people with maxed out credit cards are in.

I think it should be harder for people to go deeply into debt, not easier. With your system, decades of crushing debt are the baseline.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 2:41 pm

One of the main reasons for trust funds is that young folks cannot be responsible enough to NOT SQUANDER THE MONEY AS THEY do not have the maturity to understand WHAT IT TAKES TO EARN IT OVER LONG YEARS OF MUCH HARD WORK!

AND WORSE than that is it is often pissed, smoked, snorted or pilled away in drugs for feeling something, anything, for motivation to do life, without any real challenges of subsistence for survival in life.

When MY step-mother died my extremely intelligent step-sister who was a medical professional killed herself with cocaine, with a quick injection of 80K, over a period of a few weeks. And no it was not on purpose.

Money is never worth losing a life, either dead or alive.

I learned that in the struggles of growing up poor.

And truly the reason I have literally hundredS of thousand of dollars tucked away is MONEY MEANS NOTHING TO ME.

NO HELL NO, NOT A GOOD THING OVERALL, TO GET IT FOR FREE.

Now to be clear, perhaps you are responsible enough to do this as a unique individual and be successful in everyWAY you suggest; however, politics is based on REAL LIFE SCIENCE, and humans without A GOVERNMENT MANDATED social security SAFETY NET rarely even save enough money to make one year FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT by the time they reach REAL RETIREMENT NOW outside of that social security or THE RARE BLESSING NOW OF A PENSION FROM WORK.

SURE 1 TO 5 PERCENT MIGHT DO IT; however, the rest of the load cannot be placed on everyone else for the society to survive as whole without complete ANARCHY of a country, as is.

Most humans do not plan ahead in terms of neocortical financial control without mandates of some kind.

That's just human nature, in general, and it will never go away as long as humans are humans.

The key here is while an idea may work for you as a unique individual it doesn't mean it's gonna work for other folks in general, AT ALL.

WILL I BE ABLE TO TALK ANY 54 YEAR OLD DUDE IN MY ENTIRE METRO AREA INTO THINKING THEY CAN LIFT 860LBS WITH THEIR LEGS, IF I TELL THEM THEY potentially CAN, cause I for one CAN DO IT.

HELL NO, I KNOW I CAN'T except for extremely rare exceptions.

BUT at least it might give 'em confidence that they can do 200 or 300 LBS and just get more fit, in moving the game of life, more gracefully as such.

I suggest you get a job if you can, as soon as you can, AND SAVE if you don't care much about buying materialistic things.

And nah, one does not have to have a big time career to make it work, and at least retire sometime in the future.

If not now when..

The best time to start is now...if one can... IN MY opinion.. no matter what it is you feel you CAN DO NOW..:)

JUST DO IT, IF YOU WILL TO CAN AND DO. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 2:50 pm

aghogday wrote:
One of the main reasons for trust funds is that young folks cannot be responsible enough to NOT SQUANDER THE MONEY AS THEY do not have the maturity to understand WHAT IT TAKES TO EARN IT OVER LONG YEARS OF MUCH HARD WORK!

AND WORSE than that is it is often pissed, smoked, snorted or pilled away in drugs for feeling something, anything, for motivation to do life, without any real challenges of subsistence for survival in life.

When MY step-mother died my extremely intelligent step-sister who was a medical professional killed herself with cocaine, with a quick injection of 80K, over a period of a few weeks. And no it was not on purpose.

:cry: That is awful.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 2:58 pm

Look at how many people win the lottery and don't know how to handle the money and so they end up bankrupt within a very few years.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 3:27 pm

Janissy wrote:
aghogday wrote:

:cry: That is awful.

Yes, it is, and one of my nephews on my wife's in-laws side inherited 20k when his dad died, then started up a meth lab, and is now doing 7 years in the PEN.

Working at a Bowling Alley for CLOSE TO minimum wage is much MORE FUN, EVEN IF IT only pays the bills and nothing else.

And honestly, I was almost as happy then as I am now.

And truly it was the down to earth NON-SNOBBY NON-STICK UP THEIR BUTT FOLKS, as compared to the FOLKS IN THE 6 year COLLEGE academic world, I just left, at that time, WHO TRULY MADE IT FUN.

I learned a lot about what is valuable and what is NOT in those 2 decades of 'Big Lebowski' way of life AND the old T.V. show CHEERS moreover, where everyone knows your name, AND LOVES YOU TOO. ;)

In dancing everywhere I go, I can sense the frowns of the older folks, at times BUT WHEN I dance free with young folks, THE LOVE YOUS ARE THERE AGAIN, just for who i am as moving human being, PER INSPIRATION OF LIVING LIFE JUST FREE..:) is all...;)

Same as the Bowling Alley IN smiles for others but now in dance instead of smiles, or words I WAS NEVER much good at anyway, in REAL VERBAL LIFE. :)

PEOPLE tend to like me better with my mouth either shut or smiling, as you might infer..;)

BUT TRULY when not repressed, oppressed per my basic human nature, or subjugated by illusory fears OF others, my natural state of being is NATURAL HIGH, FROM BIRTH. ;)

And with that said, OMG! I'm spending way too much time behind this screen today, if I don't get away I'm GONNA SCREAM..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick