Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 11:52 am

I think that philosophy is a person's outlook on something and its how people perceive things.
What is philosophy in your own definition/opinion??

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 12:29 pm

Campfire banter

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 1:49 pm

philo=friend; sophy=wisdom

So philosophy mean in ancient greek "friend of wisdom". So philosophy is a search of wisdom.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 7:34 pm

Philosophy has several contexts, and it depends on the nature of the discussion. For example, a company may have a philosophy on social enterprise, or on governance. Groups of people, such as the scout group or the church group or the chess club, will have a philosophy that is derived from the nature of their reason for being, and can be limited or wide in scope. Individuals will usually have a philosophy that's personal to them and subjective in how they approach things. Philosophy as a method or study often attempts to be objective, or a presentation of the nature of a particular philosophy. Philosophy is also present in art forms and other expressions or communications. Think of the philosophy of the TV show Big Bang Theory versus the philosophy in Pride and Prejudice.

So, depending on where you're coming from, philosophy can be many things. Its umbrella can also be small or big in what it covers.

I do love philosophy, as an observer. But the trouble with it is interpretation, especially in context with all of the above.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 7:38 pm

I think the OP's definition is a darn good one.

It's a viewpoint on how one, personally views the world, in conjunction or not in conjunction with other peoples' world views.

Sometimes, people join in with others in a common view of the world

Sometimes, they don't.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 1:30 am

Philosophy is the reciprocal of sagacity.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 9:55 am

I also think philosphy is derieved and formed from something which affects you very much
Also writting down how i feel and think makes me feel better, I sometimes think thats also philosphy but I'm not sure
I like literature so much and also philosphy and I find them so similar

Eustace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2015, 10:18 am

For the elitist - Variations on the correct and ideal ultimate knowledge, and means of living life and one's outlook.

For the intelligent - It's a means to study the borders of one's own knowledge, and to push one's own cognitive boundaries. It's a way of understanding what one thinks one understands, questioning how one understands what they do, justifying one's knowledge base, and growing as an individual entity capable of acknowledging, perceiving, conceptualising, formulating, predicting, evaluating, and studying the reality one is a part of.

For the open-minded - A wide field of study bursting at the seems with knowledge applicable to almost each and every situation imaginable. A subject wherein there is no correct answer, nor could ever be one, but that does not cease the mind's curiosity. "I know one thing: that I know nothing at all."

For the unwilling - It's a word that means and encompasses one's own life and ideal. "My Philosophy is simple...", "Well, my Philosophy is..." ect.

For the insular - It's a word that symbolises a weakness, the weakness of searching for things that don't matter. "Why bother with metaphysics? What beyond reality is going to get you food, a car, a tv, a house? It's stupid."

For the shallow - It's a means to prove your knowledge is better than others'.

"If an artist of any of the arts does not experiment, play, nor venture beyond their own capacities, then they may as well put down their instrument of creation, for if one does not search for new frontiers of expansion, they run the risk of mindlessly creating works of generic monotonousness. One must satire their own works to stay unique, and to create pieces that inspire the next generation to push their own creativity even further, and within creativity lies an undiscovered genius."

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:27 am

Eustace wrote:
For the elitist - Variations on the correct and ideal ultimate knowledge, and means of living life and one's outlook.

For the intelligent - It's a means to study the borders of one's own knowledge, and to push one's own cognitive boundaries. It's a way of understanding what one thinks one understands, questioning how one understands what they do, justifying one's knowledge base, and growing as an individual entity capable of acknowledging, perceiving, conceptualising, formulating, predicting, evaluating, and studying the reality one is a part of.

For the open-minded - A wide field of study bursting at the seems with knowledge applicable to almost each and every situation imaginable. A subject wherein there is no correct answer, nor could ever be one, but that does not cease the mind's curiosity. "I know one thing: that I know nothing at all."

For the unwilling - It's a word that means and encompasses one's own life and ideal. "My Philosophy is simple...", "Well, my Philosophy is..." ect.

For the insular - It's a word that symbolises a weakness, the weakness of searching for things that don't matter. "Why bother with metaphysics? What beyond reality is going to get you food, a car, a tv, a house? It's stupid."

I think I would be elitist or unwilling

Eustace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2015, 10:34 am

There is no right or wrong way of looking at Philosophy, I myself have been through a few stages I listed, but I think after some time, the open-minded stage is a good place to sit and a stage that comes naturally to each individual who holds even the slightest of curiosity. However, sometimes you can become stuck in a certain stage, as I am now, and although this can be a bad thing, it can also provide a great deal of inspiration.

"If an artist of any of the arts does not experiment, play, nor venture beyond their own capacities, then they may as well put down their instrument of creation, for if one does not search for new frontiers of expansion, they run the risk of mindlessly creating works of generic monotonousness. One must satire their own works to stay unique, and to create pieces that inspire the next generation to push their own creativity even further, and within creativity lies an undiscovered genius."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:49 am

I am absolutely certain there is no "one truth."

I believe religion is a matter of faith. I don't have faith in it--but I don't decry those who do.

I have found things in Nietzsche that I find to be appealing. As well as people like Adam Smith and even Jean Paul Sartre. And many others.

I cull most of my "philosophy" from what I read, as well as my personal experience, in conjunction with the personal experience of others.

I never believe in the entire corpus of one particular philosopher, or even one particular person.

My belief-system is really a patchwork of influences. I'll read something by Socrates (who dictated to Plato) which I would find most applicable. I like his STYLE of discussion. I'll also read something by Aristotle (who is seen as being opposed in m any ways to Plato) which I would find most applicable.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:56 am

I think the word philosophy comes from the Greek for love of knowlege or something like that. So I take it to mean knowlege through discourse. It doesn't matter the topic, just that ideas are exchanged and general knowlege grows.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 11:23 am

Modern philosophy, especially in an academic setting, tends to be so much mental masturbation--it can be fun (figuring out all those thought experiments and stuff), but ultimately, it amounts to nothing much of the time... :oops:

If we look at the two most widespread and successful schools of classical philosophy, The Epicureans and The Stoics, we'll see that both had the same goal of figuring out how to live a good life.

And, for me that's what philosophy is, a system of thought (and ethics) that (hopefully) let's one figure out how to live a good and worthwhile life.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:12 pm

Quote:

I think all the other types are fine except this and unwilling sometimes, because if you're a shallow type you won't ever listen to others and you'd shut your ears from others opinions and you would just find ways to make yourself believe you're right and it would be the only reason for you thus you won't learn anything new. If you're unwilling you would always be too lazy to share your philosphy or to learn.

I do believe in an absolute truth (religion) and most of my philosphy and thoughts are derieved from my religion.

I like hearing ideas and opinions of others, it opens your eyes into others and their life and experience.

I don't think philosphy is something to be learned or taught because it has no rules or something- it comes naturally in everyone, its a deep thing and deep things are rarely things to be taught.

Eustace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm

Zajie wrote:
Quote:
I do believe in an absolute truth (religion) and most of my philosphy and thoughts are derieved from my religion.

May I enquire as to what religious beliefs you abide by? You don't have to say if you don't want to.

Zajie wrote:
Quote:
I don't think philos[o]phy is something to be learned or taught because it has no rules or something- it comes naturally in everyone, its a deep thing and deep things are rarely things to be taught.

I don't feel I could say it comes naturally to everyone, in my past I have met many individuals who have lacked any interior essence, to grasp their moral value was like trying to capture air using a plate and a sieve. I know a lot of people ponder things that are considered deep, but I cannot in full honestly believe that every human has room to do so.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 3:55 pm

Eustace wrote:
May I enquire as to what religious beliefs you abide by? You don't have to say if you don't want to.

My religious belief is islam

Eustace wrote:
I don't feel I could say it comes naturally to everyone, in my past I have met many individuals who have lacked any interior essence, to grasp their moral value was like trying to capture air using a plate and a sieve. I know a lot of people ponder things that are considered deep, but I cannot in full honestly believe that every human has room to do so.

Maybe you're right, I never really meet people and if I do I never talk about philosphy or those things or talk to them much to know about them and their way of thinking