Internet friends are not real friends(!)

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 7:09 pm

I agree, I've made more friends online than real life simply I believe because of I can share interests more likely online.

I've more friends that I could possibly have imagined and found a love interest online as well... But huge warning... I have experienced someone that... Have... Interests that are criminal, even then, it's only talk of it and nothing in means of actual criminality, some online are profound creeps that do demand intimate pictures,mThen again, my interests in communities mean that's often a commonplace phenomenon.

Also because of my hyper awareness of Internet security and safety, I'm hyper aware of money, friendship, love and other scams that do exist. I have methods of finding out, usually coax out of people, real names, pictures and so on, some consider me such an exceptional friend, they even disclose their real world address and provide an image or other data to prove that. Also hearing them, seeing them or other things like skype screen sharing etc. To prove they are who they are.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:04 am

I totally agree too.
Most of the people that i've met through internet was because we somehow made contact through a mutual interest area, and for me that's great.
For example, when i first started playing World of Warcraft i've met some people that, as time passed, became real close to me. Now, after almost 7 years that i've met them i still make contact with a few (even with the ones that stopped playing) and we even met on "real life" to go to some game events. And i'm quite sure that there are no one that i've met on "real life" that have the same level of common interests that i have with people that i've met online. The best and most intense discussions that i've had about my special interests have been with people that i've met through forums or games, and i'm really happy for that.
Also the person that i've had more intimacy on my entire life was a women that i've met through a Final Fantasy blog that she owned. We know each other for approximately 10 years by now and we have only seen each other personally one time, but that doesn't bother us and we send each other gifts, lend games and stuff like that.
I don't think that this is a secondary kind of friendship, or that it is worse/best than a relationship with people that are physically close. I think that is just another way to have friends, and i am grateful for this.

BlueYellowBrownGreen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2015, 11:31 am

There are different types of friends. People used to have pen pals and they probably never met them but they exchanged letters. Some interactions like this can be genuine-just be careful.

srimech123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2015, 2:41 pm

Some internet friends are not real friends, however there are others who are.

For example: I was playing an online game back in 2010 (a small community), and I added a couple of those "friends" on Facebook. 3 years later, I happened to arrange a moment to meet up with one of them. Nowadays, that friend and I still stay in touch. Shows that a lot of people who you originally meet via the web actually become proper friends.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:12 pm

Didn't watch video yet but yes they are.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:18 pm

You can make friends online, just never let a machine tell you who isn't your friend. I nearly made that mistake once and it took months of meditations for the effects to wear off.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:40 pm

InfoPunkie wrote:
Internet friends are not real friends.
In other news, scientists have determined that liquid water is wet. Back to you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Footballgirl2013
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jan 2015, 8:24 pm

InfoPunkie wrote:

Well I didn't read the link (if the link goes to an article, I didn't read it).

it depends on how one defines "friend". But to answer the question about 99% of the people on facebook that I have listed as "friends" are NOT my real friends. I'd say 80% of them I've never meet before face to face and I just add them to my facebook just to be nice. I usually don't add people to my facebook if I never meet them face to face. About 10% of them I have meet face to face and about 1% of those are my real friends. But I guess it depends on what year you were born as well. I think generation Y's and Z's traditionally tend to have more "online friends" and I think people that are generation X (like me) or those that are even older than myself (the next age group older than me is baby boomers born between 1946- 1964) I think they tend to make friends from work or meeting people face to face.

it seems that many young people (perhaps those under age 31 or born before 1984) are online with their tablets and smart phones A LOT and this is NOT only for those that has Autism or AS. It seems to me the older folks (say 40+) I just don't see them playing around with their smart phones as much as the 20 somethings. I have seen it where a young 20 something doesn't know how to talk to people right next to them when they are at the beach. At the beach they play with their stupid smart phone - at the beach!! ! I'd be in the water or learning how to surf or something. Not on a silly smart phone at the beach. Youth don't know how to "be" with each other.

May be I'm just not around a lot of 40 or 50 . .. But I just don't see many 40+ people playing with tablets like I see 20 somethings. And No, I don't consider my "Facebook" friends my "REAL" friends. People on facebook are acquaintances and most of them - we have a mutual "friend". I had deleted many many people on my facebook page since I just never meet them face to face and If I get an "invite" from people I don't know (never meet face to face) I kindly tell them "I never meet you face to face so I will not add you".

And just for information sake . . . I've been told from several professionals I do NOT have AS.

agwood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2015, 9:20 pm

InfoPunkie wrote:

Nonsense. If you're within reasonable proximity, you could get on much better in person than you could over an internet line.

gomez928
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm

"Internet friends are not real friends."

That's what my mom told me after one of my closest internet friends was killed in a fire. In my opinion, it's not geographical distance that defines a friendship. Rather it is the connection that people feel toward each other that makes friendships and relationships happen. Even if it's something as simple and therapeutic as the enjoyment that comes from talking with someone about movies or music. I don't think physical distance is a major factor, especially with Skype and other social media that exists today.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 3:51 pm

I do agree with most of this. Someone you simply add on Facebook isn't a friend, but it's silly and technophobic to say that someone whose voice, appearance, and mannerisms you've seen can't be a friend.

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2015, 11:31 am

Footballgirl2013 wrote:
Well I didn't read the link (if the link goes to an article, I didn't read it).

It's a video ^^

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2015, 5:06 am

I do agree that internet friends are not friends. I know, because I change personalities online myself (unconsciously).

Internet friends -- who have not met me in person -- just like my text. My text is not me, it's a series of small essays I write online that express how I feel. They can be correspondents, even fans if I'm lucky, readers certainly, but not friends.

No offense to anyone who has made real friendships online. You can do it; I can't. I have tried a lot, and this is my conclusion. I'm well into adulthood, so I think I've got a sense of my own limitations here.

So, I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to learn and share.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:08 am

Fnord wrote:
InfoPunkie wrote:
Internet friends are not real friends.
In other news, scientists have determined that liquid water is wet. Back to you.

I watched the video, I guess, I've had more luck in my geographical region than on the internet and that's not saying much.

brett0007
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2015, 10:18 am

I have to disagree, my most meaningful friendships have been people I've met online.