Honk if you agree.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 8:30 pm

Small minds discuss people.

Average minds discuss events.

Great minds discuss ideas.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 8:31 pm

In order to gain consummate knowledge, one must have ability to think in all modalities--even banal ones.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm

I have started to think of small talk like a verbal dance. It's not the words involved, but the exchange and rhythm between speakers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 8:54 pm

Small talk, to me, is very ritualistic in nature.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:32 pm

I'm certain some of the greatest thinkers also indulged in small talk. There's a time and place for everything. Perhaps the definition of a great mind is knowing when and where that is.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:58 pm

I like small talk...in moderation.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:59 pm

Small talk serves a purpose but I don't enjoy it at all.

Fnord wrote:

Contrived bogus lmao

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 1:08 am

Raleigh wrote:
I'm certain some of the greatest thinkers also indulged in small talk. There's a time and place for everything. Perhaps the definition of a great mind is knowing when and where that is.

Von Neumann probably did, he hosted at least one party a week and sometimes two. Einstein complained that Von Neumann kept on playing loud music. Their offices were next to each other. And Von Neumann was one of those few people with total savant-style photographic memory, he instantly memorized everything he read and could recall it word for word. He was known as the best Mathematician of the 20th century. Additionally, he was the first person to create a mathematical framework for Quantum Mechanics and also the first person to create a mathematical framework for evolution. He fundamentally impacted at least a dozen diverse scientific fields. He created the first computer virus, created the architecture for modern computers, and was an integral part of the Manhattan Project. The U.S. ICBM committee met in his living room. He created the cold war policy M.A.D. - Mutually Assured Destruction-

He hated Russians (they killed his family) and calculated an nuclear policy that would increase the statistical chances of nuclear war and end with the genocide of all Russians (even at the cost of everyone else.) That policy, he called M.A.D. and he convinced the U.S. government that it would decrease the chances of all out nuclear war. The Nash Equilibrium for M.A.D. is that everyone dies. It was one of his postgrad students who figured this out, and it is not commonly known beyond those who aren't devout students of Game Theory (another Von Neumann field.)
While his plan failed and war didn't break out, his policy helped drive the arms race and we were at the brink of annihilation many times throughout the cold war.

But, I assume he was good at small talk, whether through intellectual memorization (which would have been very easy for him) or through intuition.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 1:18 am

Of course, there are also some truly great thinkers who have not yet realised that the definition of boring is to leave no detail out. :D

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 1:43 am

Raleigh wrote:

What he said. Just because I don't enjoy it or need it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 2:10 am

Raleigh wrote:
Of course, there are also some truly great thinkers who have not yet realised that the definition of boring is to leave no detail out. :D

I don't know how to respond to that.

hmm... was I being that pedantic and boring? I actually really did try to limit myself on the details of his work. I assume I'd have lost everyone's attention before the end of it I guess.
I'm assuming here that your comment was directed towards me, I'm not sure I'm a great thinker, but thanks for the compliment I guess...

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 2:28 am

It wasn't directed at you. Sorry if it sounded that way. I was thinking of what you said about intellectual memorisation and photographic memories and how it could affect conversation. It could go either way. Spouting entire memorised passages at someone wouldn't win too many friends I imagine.

That's not to say you're not a great thinker. :D

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 2:30 am

Fnord wrote:

and the greatest minds discuss the mind itself.

:)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 2:34 am

Protogenoi wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

I don't know how to respond to that.

hmm... was I being that pedantic and boring? I actually really did try to limit myself on the details of his work. I assume I'd have lost everyone's attention before the end of it I guess.
I'm assuming here that your comment was directed towards me, I'm not sure I'm a great thinker, but thanks for the compliment I guess...

I enjoyed your post very much. :D :D :D
I can only speak for myself.

What IS boring is small talk, not what you said.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 2:40 am

Raleigh wrote:
It wasn't directed at you. Sorry if it sounded that way. I was thinking of what you said about intellectual memorisation and photographic memories and how it could affect conversation. It could go either way. Spouting entire memorised passages at someone wouldn't win too many friends I imagine.

That's not to say you're not a great thinker. :D

Oh, ok... Well, he entertained his numerous friends and family at his death bed by reciting Charles Dickens by memory. He used his memory as a kind of a parlor trick to attract people. I don't think simply spouting memorized passages would be effective, but if used properly with showmanship it would attract a lot people.