Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm

Study reports a third of men would rape for sex...

I recall a similar study with the same results approximately 20 years ago. Men of a certain age will always be dogs.

http://news.discovery.com/human/life/th ... NewsSocial

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 12:15 am

Rape is rarely about sex but rather about a misguided sense of superiority, "she shouldn't have dressed that way" is a pisspoor rationalization for violating another person's body and maiming their spirit

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2015, 12:18 am

I will never use my penis to overpower/rape anyone, I use my penis for the loving ;) "Rape Culture" sounds like a rather ignorant philosophy.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 1:17 am

Doesn't surprise me. I'm the son of a rape and sexual assault survivor. I was also sexually assaulted twice when I was younger. The so called civilized first world we live in is a total mess and denial is rampant. It's just as bad as other parts of the world we like to deem "bad" when it comes to this issue. My mother never got justice, it nearly destroyed her, tore my parents marriage apart years after the fact. We live among wolves pretending to be humans.

Rape and sexual assault might be deemed the same thing legally, but I think you understand the distinction I'm making.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:11 am

Hey, I'd nuke tons of cities if I could.

:P

Jules_Bonnot_1912
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2015, 5:19 am

chagya wrote:

I recall a similar study with the same results approximately 20 years ago. Men of a certain age will always be dogs.

I think it would be more correct to say that some men will always be dogs, regardless their age.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 6:43 am

chagya wrote:

I know that rape is high and under-reported, however I can't ever believe that as many as 1 in 3 men are likely to be rapists.

Also, can you fix your link please. I can't link to the study.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 7:41 am

The OP can't fix a link that was posted yesterday because we have next-to-NO time, to edit posts, now----but, I THINK this is the article the OP wanted us to see:

http://news.discovery.com/human/life/third-of-men-would-use-force-for-sex-study-150114.htm

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:15 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
The OP can't fix a link that was posted yesterday because we have next-to-NO time, to edit posts, now----but, I THINK this is the article the OP wanted us to see:

http://news.discovery.com/human/life/third-of-men-would-use-force-for-sex-study-150114.htm

The article didn't say that a third of the men interviewed had actually committed rape but rather that they would have, if the word "rape" isn't used. This doesn't surprise me because a lot of people don't seem to have real understanding of what consent is, thinking that a lack of a "no" implies consent.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:12 am

I think it's probably good news because a thousand year ago it was probably 90%
and if we project that into the future....
in a thousand years it'll probably be 1 %
and by then we'll stick those ******* in jail for life
and it'll be 0% in another thousand years

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:15 am

syzygyish wrote:
I think it's probably good news because a thousand year ago it was probably 90%
and if we project that into the future....
in a thousand years it'll probably be 1 %
and by then we'll stick those ******* in jail for life
and it'll be 0% in another thousand years

A thousand years ago, rape wasn't considered acceptable either. Though it was probably more common.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:34 am

Moved from Random Discussion.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:47 am

I don't even need to question the miniscule sample size, the most recent reply in the comment section by 'Old Mole' sums it up perfectly.

OLD MOLE wrote:
Di(sic) I need to spell it out?
These would-be rapists are:
White
Christian (practising)
Middle class
Small town
Psychology students

They do not represent all or even most men
At a mediocre university

What the study certainly did not demonstrate is that "A third of male university students say they would rape a woman if there no were no consequences" or:

chagya wrote:
a third of men would rape for sex

But my first thought (and presumably that of others too) is echoed by Wendy McElroy of thedailybell.com.

Wendy McElroy wrote:
"Even in a world where college men take everything seriously, nine guys does not equal a mass epidemic of would-be rapists. A more sound reading is that nine college boys didn't take the survey too seriously."

http://www.thedailybell.com/editorials/ ... rect-Rape/

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:07 am

adifferentname wrote:
I don't even need to question the miniscule sample size, the most recent reply in the comment section by 'Old Mole' sums it up perfectly.

OLD MOLE wrote:
Di(sic) I need to spell it out?
These would-be rapists are:
White
Christian (practising)
Middle class
Small town
Psychology students

They do not represent all or even most men
At a mediocre university

What the study certainly did not demonstrate is that "A third of male university students say they would rape a woman if there no were no consequences" or:

chagya wrote:
a third of men would rape for sex

Actually it did. They just don't know what rape is, that's why they won't answer yes when asked directly.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:50 am

Jono wrote:
Actually it did. They just don't know what rape is, that's why they won't answer yes when asked directly.

Who needs facts when we have feminism, right? Despite the fact that a study claims that a handful of guys out of 86 would commit imaginary rape in an hypothetical fantasy scenario, Jono believes that the study demonstrates that:

"A third of male university students say they would rape a woman if there no were no consequences" and

"A third of men would rape for sex."

Don't worry though, Jono. When modern feminism comes crashing down to earth there will be plenty more cults for you to join.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:30 am

adifferentname wrote:
Jono wrote:

Who needs facts when we have feminism, right? Despite the fact that a study claims that a handful of guys out of 86 would commit imaginary rape in an hypothetical fantasy scenario, Jono believes that the study demonstrates that:

So? A third of them said yes, which exactly demonstrates that:

adifferentname wrote:
"A third of male university students say they would rape a woman if there no were no consequences"

That's the point. You don't seem to understand that hypothetical scenarios can be used to gauge peoples attitudes towards sex. That's exactly what the study was trying to do.

adifferentname wrote:
Don't worry though, Jono. When modern feminism comes crashing down to earth there will be plenty more cults for you to join.

At least I'm not part of that MRA cult.