Soylent good meal replacement for autistics?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 3:54 pm

I've been reading a lot about Soylent recently, and have been thinking how it might be useful for the autistic community. Here is an article on Soylent, and here is the actual website.

Basically, this techie guy was discouraged by low funds, limited time, and an inability to cook, and set out to create a low-cost, high-nutrition drink mix. Despite the name, there is very little soy (just soy lecithin), as the name was a reference to Soylent Green, and it meets FDA recommendations for protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, and minerals. The creator has been living on it almost exclusively for a while now, without any health problems. He sees it as a quick, easy, nutritious way to replace the hassle, cost, and time of food prep except for those occasions when you want to make it special (like a family meal).

There are a lot of criticisms of course, including the one that Soylent will suck the joy out of eating, but here is what I am thinking. For me, I have a lot of food sensitivities, including gluten intolerance. I also have medical conditions that mean I need to eat very low carb. So my food choices are limited, and because of poor executive functioning, finding nutritious food to eat that won't make me sick, and which I actually have the mental resources to buy and prepare, is a daily struggle. I have often wished I could just have a feeding tube to give me everything I need, so if something like Soylent can meet my nutritional needs, I am all for it. I know that poor executive functioning and food sensitivities are common with ASD, so I'm sure I'm not the only one. Sensory issues may also limit diet. Autistic kids in particular tend to have limited diets due to sensory issues, and are at risk of nutritional deficiencies. Drinking Soylent has been likened to drinking mildly sweet pancake batter. Bland, white, and texture-less - sounds good!

So what do you guys think? Low in cost, easy to mix, inoffensive to drink, and nutritionally sound based on current nutritional research (though opinions may vary regarding the validity of the FDA's views on nutrition). I am going to check it out, but I think I will try one of the DIY recipes (there is a site for that here), because I need lower carb, and also some of the ingredients are not really great for me based on my own particular digestive issues. I also might try to find some whole food sources of some of the vitamins, since one of the concerns about Soylent is that the effect of nutrients in isolation might be different from how they work in the whole food.

This product is obviously not for those who love to cook and eat, but for those of us for whom food has become a stressful hassle, it seems like it is at least worth a try. What do you guys think? Have any of you tried it?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 4:09 pm

Nah, I just hunt people down and eat them: it's cheaper, they taste better on the barbecue, and they're just as nutritious.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 4:14 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Nah, I just hunt people down and eat them: it's cheaper, they taste better on the barbecue, and they're just as nutritious.

Only if they're pasture-raised!

Winterheart
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2015, 4:20 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:

Cannibal Corpse is one of my favorite bands!

In all seriousness, I don't usually pay attention to miracle diets. There are many cases where nothing changes from them and I like myself just the way I am.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 4:23 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

Only if they're pasture-raised!

Shit. Good point.

*goes to start a people farm*

Being serious, this wouldn't be something I'd be into, as I like sitting down to eat solid food, I like a variety of food, and the thought of drinking Cream of Wheat makes me gag. Plus I can feed myself nutritiously for less than $10/day already anyway.
If they made something that was solid with actual flavour I would be semi-interested.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Last edited by Who_Am_I on 15 Jan 2015, 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.: The swear filter is one thing, but I wish it wouldn't change capitals to lower-case.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 4:53 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
The swear filter is one thing, but I wish it wouldn't change capitals to lower-case.

It probably converts all the text to lowercase in order to compare it with the list of swear words. Making a string of text lowercase is common procedure when doing string comparisons. It's unfortunate that it doesn't make the substitutions based on the original string though.

Who_Am_I wrote:
Being serious, this wouldn't be something I'd be into, as I like sitting down to eat solid food, I like a variety of food, and the thought of drinking Cream of Wheat makes me gag. Plus I can feed myself nutritiously for less than $10/day already anyway.
If they made something that was solid with actual flavour I would be semi-interested.

Yeah, I think that is a reaction that a lot of people have had. I think there is probably a narrow market for this, and they're aiming it at the tech crowd right now, who often work long days fueled with junk food and caffeine. I thought autistic people might be interested though, based on the number of threads I've seen where people say that due to poor executive functioning they have difficulty with the process of preparing nutritious food - too much planning and prep. Plus, the DIY Soylent seems perfect for people who like to obsessively research nutrition (*raises hand*).

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:06 pm

This could explain why autism speaks wants to rid the world of autism. We could be the new super predator. :D

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:11 pm

androbot01 wrote:
This could explain why autism speaks wants to rid the world of autism. We could be the new super predator. :D

Didn't rdos' Aspie Quiz have questions about skills related to hunting?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:16 pm

Good luck to anyone who is serious about such "food." Four months ago, my brother (a Vietnam veteran) was accepted at our local VA Hospital to proceed with some spinal surgery. During recovery, he insisted on eating nothing but BOOST® Nutritional Drink as he had (somewhat successfully) in the months leading up to the surgery. His physicians, nurses and therapists complied with his wishes, but told him that, during his recovery at least, he should eat real food. He resisted quite vocally. Our family was dumbfounded at his very lucent, but wrong, ideas. One day during this recovery period, his vitals status got much worse and, because of the liquid drugs they had been required to give him, he died within three or four days.

A body's careful balance of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and just plain old "stuff of life" can't be altered very much without consequences. My brother had an above-genius IQ and researched everything he believed. Unfortunately, he hadn't factored into his research the idea that major surgery would require much more than three nutritional drinks a day.

So, no. I believe that such "smart water," "nutritional drinks" or "energy drinks" should NOT be relied on to supplant a full diet. That is why their industry is called "supplemental" foods. I blame them for making it appear to their customers that one product can mean a simple, cheap avoidance of real food, because it doesn't. I believe that my brother died because of this kind of marketing, his own mistake and a business that convinced him that he could get away with such Bravo Sierra.

Soylent asks: "What if you never had to worry about food again?" My ass.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:22 pm

I think it's better just to eat healthy, regular foods. Don't put yourself on some stupid diet or overload on stupid crap like "pro-biotics" as nothing will "cure" you.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:25 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

Didn't rdos' Aspie Quiz have questions about skills related to hunting?

AhhHa!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
I think it's better just to eat healthy, regular foods. Don't put yourself on some stupid diet or overload on stupid crap like "pro-biotics" as nothing will "cure" you.

If you think probiotics are stupid crap, you either don't have any significant GI disorder, or you do, and have never tried adding quality probiotics to your diet. Adding probiotics was the second most significant change that improved my quality of life (#1 was eliminating gluten). You should do some research on the importance of healthy gut flora. Probiotics are mainstream medicine now, and there is a ton of research out there.

Last edited by LostInSpace on 15 Jan 2015, 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:31 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
I've been reading a lot about Soylent recently, and have been thinking how it might be useful for the autistic community. Here is an article on Soylent, and here is the actual website.

Basically, this techie guy was discouraged by low funds, limited time, and an inability to cook, and set out to create a low-cost, high-nutrition drink mix. Despite the name, there is very little soy (just soy lecithin), as the name was a reference to Soylent Green, and it meets FDA recommendations for protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, and minerals. The creator has been living on it almost exclusively for a while now, without any health problems. He sees it as a quick, easy, nutritious way to replace the hassle, cost, and time of food prep except for those occasions when you want to make it special (like a family meal).

There are a lot of criticisms of course, including the one that Soylent will suck the joy out of eating, but here is what I am thinking. For me, I have a lot of food sensitivities, including gluten intolerance. I also have medical conditions that mean I need to eat very low carb. So my food choices are limited, and because of poor executive functioning, finding nutritious food to eat that won't make me sick, and which I actually have the mental resources to buy and prepare, is a daily struggle. I have often wished I could just have a feeding tube to give me everything I need, so if something like Soylent can meet my nutritional needs, I am all for it. I know that poor executive functioning and food sensitivities are common with ASD, so I'm sure I'm not the only one. Sensory issues may also limit diet. Autistic kids in particular tend to have limited diets due to sensory issues, and are at risk of nutritional deficiencies. Drinking Soylent has been likened to drinking mildly sweet pancake batter. Bland, white, and texture-less - sounds good!

So what do you guys think? Low in cost, easy to mix, inoffensive to drink, and nutritionally sound based on current nutritional research (though opinions may vary regarding the validity of the FDA's views on nutrition). I am going to check it out, but I think I will try one of the DIY recipes (there is a site for that here), because I need lower carb, and also some of the ingredients are not really great for me based on my own particular digestive issues. I also might try to find some whole food sources of some of the vitamins, since one of the concerns about Soylent is that the effect of nutrients in isolation might be different from how they work in the whole food.

This product is obviously not for those who love to cook and eat, but for those of us for whom food has become a stressful hassle, it seems like it is at least worth a try. What do you guys think? Have any of you tried it?

I've been watching Soylent for about two years now. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I heard that he's also looking at flavour packets because the stuff is rather tasteless... like pure sashimi.

It actually reminds me of "Bachelor Chow" from Futurama more than anything else.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:35 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
I've been watching Soylent for about two years now. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I heard that he's also looking at flavour packets because the stuff is rather tasteless... like pure sashimi.

It actually reminds me of "Bachelor Chow" from Futurama more than anything else.

If you wanted more flavor, but still wanted to preserve that futuristic experience, you could try adding powdered, freeze-dried fruit. It would add nutrition as well, as freeze-drying foods preserves most nutrients very well. You could also just blend fruit in if you have a blender, but for powder on the go, that would be a good option.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:40 pm

I only eat free range humans. Organically raised, and fair trade.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 5:45 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Soylent asks: "What if you never had to worry about food again?" My ass.

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother, but Boost is not a food substitute. It is a supplement, as you said, and not a good one. Ingredients #2 and #3 are corn syrup and sugar respectively, or in other words, sugar and sugar. Not exactly a healthy choice. There is a difference between sugar-laden drink like Boost and something actually formulated to replace food in the long-term. After all, people do live on liquid diets - ask anyone with a feeding tube. Whether Soylent is healthy in the long-term is a question to be answered by research, but at least it was formulated with the intention of providing complete nutrition, and is not a chocolate milkshake masquerading as a healthy diet supplement.

I am going to work on coming up with a formula for myself, but for the record, I am not going to actually make or start drinking it until after I speak with my doctor next month.