Crime/Real Life Crime Shows - Anyone Else?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:38 pm

I have had an almost lifelong fascination for how the criminal mind works and in real life and fictional murder cases, serial killers and the like. Recently, I have been wondering if it somehow makes me a Sadist? I do not get any real excitement or kicks out of watching them, I just seem to be fascinated in some way in how the criminals are caught, the process. I do not like gore or graphic images of these types of crimes either.

Anyone else have similar interests ?

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 1:08 am

I, too, am fascinated by how the criminals are caught and the process. I like to watch the TV show "First 48". The first 48 refers to the first 48 hours after a murder occurs when it is most likely to be solved. The older the case is, the more unlikely it is to be solved.

I find any kind of behavior interesting.

If you are interested in psychopaths, there is a really good book (Without Conscience) by Robert Hare.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2015, 1:12 am

Yes, I love forensic science and criminal justice :D. My college actually offers a class that uses case studies about serial killers to analyze their behaviors. It's offered pretty often too, so I would say there are a lot of people interested in the topic.
Anyone watched Forensic Files? If not, I'd definitely recommend it.

I also agree with the book recommendation - if you're interested in learning about psychopathy, Robert Hare is considered the expert on it.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:50 am

It's a normal interest; people make an honest living studying homicide and serial killers. It's only a sadistic trait if you're the one doing the murders. :P

I've also had a lifelong fascination with the same. Whenever I turn on the TV for a little background entertainment, I always switch it to Investigation Discovery, or what I dub "The Murder Channel", since literally every show is about real-life homicide cases.

nomoretears
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2015, 8:04 am

Me, me, me

I even write a few of the criminals

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:54 am

I like COPS. Do they have COPS in the UK?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 10:01 am

I don't enjoy the idea of violence unless I'm feeling very angry. I enjoy seeing how forensic science can solve mysteries, but it doesn't have to be a violent crime, any mystery will do. I'm just as interested in archaeology.

I don't know much about the "criminal mind." I quite like some TV detective shows, but only for the logic of solving the puzzle.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 11:27 am

I have an interest in criminal justice that shows up now and again.

I was doing it at college until I went...crazy (for lack of a better word, though I suppose mentally ill would be nicer if that's important).

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I like COPS. Do they have COPS in the UK?

Only if you get SKY tv sadly. I found a few series available on Amazon Prime here, but beyond that... really annoying as I used to love watching that when I was a teenager and my parents had SKY. I need someone to record them all for me, lol. I developed the interest in COPS after going to the USA for a holiday. I sort of became interested in all things USA for a period of time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:29 pm

I find COPS to be the only "real" reality show

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:31 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
I, too, am fascinated by how the criminals are caught and the process. I like to watch the TV show "First 48". The first 48 refers to the first 48 hours after a murder occurs when it is most likely to be solved. The older the case is, the more unlikely it is to be solved.

I find any kind of behavior interesting.

If you are interested in psychopaths, there is a really good book (Without Conscience) by Robert Hare.

Thanks, I will look for that book.
I have read a lot of books about serial killers, and also a few about well known kidnappings.
I am currently watching a series called Forensics which covers how the criminals were convicted through the use of forensic evidence.

I am relieved there are others with similar interests.
I abhor violence and actually cannot stand gorey scenes, so I guess my interest is more in the evidence and the kinds of people and reasons for committing crimes. I wrote to a murderer on Death Row once, many years ago. He had had many, many appeals and was one of the longest serving prisoners on Death Row, if not the longest serving. I was just curious as to what sort of things a murderer might talk of. He was not allowed to fully disclose his crime or talk about it too much.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm

When I lived in London more than ten years ago, I visited the sites of Jack The Ripper's murders, as well as others, including the two addresses where Dennis Nilsen committed his crimes.

The psychological issues involved interest me as well. I'm convinced Jeffery Dahmer was on the autistic spectrum, and perhaps Nilsen as well.

I'm currently halfway through watching a film called The Kiss Of A Killer, about the Hungarian serial killer Bela Kiss (I bought it from Poundland!).

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:57 pm

I dislike gore in drama, I prefer documentaries, especially the ones about prisoners, Without Conscience is a good read.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm

How do you feel about "Lockup?"

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:10 pm

I don't know if that is aired over here, I'm assuming your referring to MSNBC series and not the UK documentary series by the same name?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 8:55 am

The MSNBC series