Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 10:15 am

I wasted two years on it... wasted because nothing came out of it, not because I didn't complete it, but as soon as it finished I became a hermit 24/7. To add insult to injury the college banned me straight after passing it... everything makes perfect sense, of course!

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:51 am

An access course... that's an introductory course into a subject... right? They include orientation-style instruction and helps develop study skills and whatnot?

Why'd they ban you?

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 12:41 pm

See here for the situation about college - http://enwp.org/access_course - supposedly equivalent to three 'A levels'.

Last edited by Mootoo on 22 Jan 2015, 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm

Have I heard of an Access course :evil:

Started one in Hastings College many years ago.
Wanted to do a degree in Chinese Medicine at Middlesex Uni.
Went to talk to the professor at their open day. Explained to him I wanted the degree to help me understand Chinese Medicine and get the basics of the Chinese language and for the rest my interest is more of a philosophical nature in spiritual Taoism in general.
Anyway, he was fine with it and told me I would need biology up to A-level standard and if I did the work he had no further issues with my motives.

Back at Hastings College the Access was split into two basic groups; humanities and science.
For my studies I really wanted to get units from both but was told in the end that I could not have my cake and eat it as I wasn't paying for it myself. So no critical thinking excercises for me as having to choose one or the other I went with science. Gave up after 6 months as it was more aggro than it was worth having to learn all this material I would be having no use for and I certainly had no interest in.
They were morons too, teaching neurochemistry in first term and basic chemistry in second term :? The maths teacher did the chem lessons too and his complexion and red nose always had me convinced he was a cupboard alcoholic.

Access courses are meant to steam you ready for uni. Well, is what I was told and everyone on the course bar one was looking at going to uni the following year. The one that didn't wasn't on a subsidized course and was doing the units of her own back albeit part time.
Why did they ban you anyway?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 10:26 am

Guzzle, read that other thread for the explanation of the ban... I just don't fit in anywhere. You never continued on to uni, either?

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm

Just read the other thread. Not sure I totally get it tbh but no, never did go to uni in the end. Had one more try at academic stuff with the OU, did something social science.
One of the assignments had a question which Eastenders character I identified with and why. By then I had not watched it for over 10 years and told them in my answer it was rather presumptuous of them to pressume I watched Eastenders, I ended up being told I had promise but needed discipline. And I don't like being told that :twisted: :roll:

Still, if you did finish the Access course you should be able to apply to uni if you choose to I would imagine?.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 6:03 pm

I can't due to practical and psychological difficulties... doing assignments without anyone in my life at all is too depressing... although since I got little support generally it's kind of akin to climbing a mountain logistically... in summary, the system is geared towards those with parents...