Top 10 Colleges for Autistic Students

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2015, 12:50 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this update so I thought I would put it here.

I wanted to let you know the results of a recent survey I did across Linked In Groups, Facebook
Groups and several forums (including this one) - thank you everyone who participated.

I asked what information parents are looking for in their post secondary transition planning and the winner was a listing of the best colleges for autistic students.

So I have created a list of the top 10 to get you started. It is available at www.asd-dr.com

I will also be posting the name and information of a specific college daily on my facebook page if you are looking for additional choices or information.

https://www.facebook.com/ASDresources

Also I would appreciate it if everyone shared this with other parents they think might be interested.

Let me know if you have any colleges/ universities that you think should be included on the list.

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Feb 2015, 2:08 pm

I posted this update in another string, but I thought I would add it here as well:

I have an excel spreadsheet of over 5000 colleges and universities across the country with their basic address, phone and website information.

I am working through this and adding a link to any additional services they provide, either themselves or through a 3rd party vendor (I am only including those that have links.)

I am going to upload this spreadsheet into my website using software that will turn it into a searchable database.

Obviously I only want to have to do this exercise once if possible, so I am wondering what other information to include?

Tentatively I plan to include:
Majors
Degrees available (i.e. certificate, associate,bachelors, masters)
On Campus Housing; Yes or no
Public or Private college
Link to financial aid for the college

What else is important to include?

Thanks for your help.

rollermonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2015, 7:29 pm

I'm a student at Bellevue College in Bellevue, WA. Our school has a Disability Resource Center and a dedicated Autism Spectrum Navigator.

When I took a class at Cascadia Community College in Bothell, WA, I worked through the Disabled Student Services office, which was essentially the same as the DRC at Bellevue.

I think a lot of schools will have one, the other or both. It might be a good idea to add school-specific information about these programs on your spreadsheet.

Accommodations are handled by the DRC/DSS, and the ones I've gotten have included increased testing time, testing in a quiet environment, authorization to record lectures, priority class registration, and advocacy.

Yeah, yeah, I know we're not disabled, but that's where the NT's have us pigeonholed. If it helps me do better in school, I'll deal with it and take what I can get. :P

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2015, 7:17 pm

Thanks Rollermonkey.

I am now at the point where I am working to upload my spreadsheet into a database. I actually found over 300 colleges that have programs of some kind.

I did notice that most of them classified this help under disabled services, but I guess if it gets students what they need we will just have to put up with the department.

:D