Experiences Having Autism-being called weird.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 3:21 am

I was called weird as a kid. I used to over hear kids call me that too. Back then it was a bad thing.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 4:07 am

Wonderfully Eccentric, Incomparably Real and Distinctive = WEIRD!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 3:35 pm

corroonb wrote:
Most NTs are pretty weird too. Some have very bizarre beliefs but are not considered mentally ill. Normal people are pretty boring. They have no interests/obsessions and making conversation with some of them is a trial. I really love people with quirky, strong interests regardless of where/whether they are on the spectrum. I think it's really sad that some people just don't have any real interests other than those most popular with their peer group.

I think it is a little bit of a stretch to say normal people have no interests/obsessions, they certainly have interests, as mundane as they may be and normal people certainly can develop obsessions. Though I am thinking by normal you are referring to people with normal functioning brains as opposed to people with autism or other neurological conditions....or do you mean people who fit the stereotypical normal in society? either way they can have interests and obsessions.

Normal people do not have special interests like autistic people or get as deep into them the way we do....but I have yet to meet someone that literally has no interests at all.