Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 11:59 am

About the only two ways to make me behave as a youngster were the Santa Clause threat or to smack the shi+ out of me. Just being good for the sake of being good was never enough.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 12:19 pm

i do not know how i would treat children if i had them.
i would never tell them any lies, but there is a bit of a dilemma when it comes to the fairy tales that most children believe.
if i said santa was not real, then they may be disappointed or they may develop a cynical attitude toward others who propound the idea, and they may be seen as sullen or distant by their classmates.

if i said he was real, then at some point they would rationalize that he wasn't and maybe consider me to be either a liar or stupid, and that may compromise their belief in further advice i may have to dispense as they grow older.

i think i would pretend that i am not sure if he exists or doesn't. i would place myself at their level of curiosity and wonder with respect to santa.

that would seem to me to be a good compromise between lying and shattering their belief in simple things that would help them fit in with their classmates and contemporaries.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 12:40 pm

Raptor wrote:
About the only two ways to make me behave as a youngster were the Santa Clause threat or to smack the shi+ out of me. Just being good for the sake of being good was never enough.

Hmm..

At least your honest. ;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 6:39 pm

How many kids young enough to believe in Santa think long term enough to respond to a threat that is supposed to last all year?