League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 12:40 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:
Have you ever been hit by one?

Yes.

And the kid in this situation DIDN'T STAB ANYONE. Do try to have a sense of perspective.

I think I already have, I have learned how kids can really hurt adults just by knowing Frankie and how his mom was afraid of him and how he had caused harm to others and then hearing about other aggressive children and how much of a danger they could be to others. That changed my perspective and then having one of my own changed my perspective too.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

iamkate
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2015, 8:30 pm

I have Aspergers but I know that hitting someone is wrong. I do understand that no matter how frustrated I get that I have to get my head occupied so that I do not get angry. I am usually more angry with myself than ever I am with other people.

The severity of Aspergers depends person to person. It is an ASD the S is spectrum which confirms that it is different person to person.

He is 8 yes? So he is a child and with a condition that is difficult to manage at that young ag. He will lean how to coping mechanisms as he ages. Some will work, some will not.

Environmental factors a lot into behaviour response when you have a condition like this. Now I am not condonig his action as right. f course not. His teachers should be trained to understand his needs and behavoiur requirements. They should not be teaching him if they don't. Does he have a support teacher -if not he should have. The classroom is a busy, strained and frightening environment at the best of times. I remember being very frightened and terrified. People were staring. I was young. I had a hard start too but I learned. He will too.

As for the police, it may be the noise he dislikes. I am very sensitive to noise. Also I am deaf in one ear so my hearing ear is very sensitive anyway. There are things I don't like at all. I try to avoid them now. Sometimes I get anxious when I can't avoid them. It makes my life difficult for a while until I can get to a safe place.

The child may need lots of reassurance. He may need a lot of support. Praise too he will need as all children do. The teachers are right never to tolerate any violence. They must set example that they will not tolerate this behaviiur or all children may hit out.

Arresting him was going far. But I do not know all the facts. They probably won't print them and I have not even read the article. But.
Yes they are right to make him understand NO violence is acceptable. Maybe things could have been handled slightly differently, maybe taking him out of the room. Why was the teacher close enough to be assaulted? Body space is private.
If someone invades mine I get anxious and it upsets me. I tell them to back off now!! Learning to COMMUNICATE with people about things is something that is learned over time when you have Aspergers. Some people always find it hard.

Generally though people will understand that it is upsetting for you and make sure they do not repeat that action again. Maybe the teacher did that. Invaded body space.

It is very unpleasant.

I think that I sympathise with the child for their anxiety and I understand that sometimes when you do not understand how to vent properly, or react to situations it can come out as anger or even worst case is violence. But arresting him will serve NO HELP, it will make things worse and mean he is now more anxious, more scared, more worried.

The school should have other ways of dealing with this. Arresting him was going too extreme and they need to go back on the courses for how to deal with children with special needs and behavioural conditions.

"What is normal?" I say to you, You look at me like I am weird all the way through,But I was born like this so it's the norm to me, So my Brain functions a little differently,I am an Aspie.Don't treat me like I am stupid.I'm not,I am still Human too or do you think I'm not?
We all are different. But different isn't bad or scary,Don't treat me differently,Just because I am an Aspie.-A Poem by Me.