Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Yarny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2015, 3:25 pm

When I am at work for prolonged periods (as early as 2 hours in) I experience some unusual sensations. My skin becomes more sensitive (particularly my arms, legs and back), I feel fatigued, slightly dizzy, and sometimes my face gets a tingling feeling. The longer I'm at work the more powerful these sensations become. Also, these sensations preceded a panic attack I had about 2 years ago, and the only one I've ever experienced. There were other factors involved in that, so I don't know it they're related or if it's simple coincidence. Sleep certainly seems to be a factor, but not the only one, and caffeine tends to help, but not always (like yesterday.)

I've asked my friends, mother and even my counselor, and they were all puzzled by what I described. Is this anxiety? I don't even know. Any information, especially what I can do to alleviate this issue, would be much appreciated!

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2015, 5:56 am

What do you do for a living and under what conditions do you work? i.e environmental factors like lighting, ventilation, air conditioning etc?

Is your job very stressful? do you have a high workload or under pressure to complete certain tasks?

What about your workmates? do you get along with them?

Do you enjoy your job?

All of these things need to be considered first before any answer or explanation can be given. Thanks.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 10:57 am

Low Blood Sugar, maybe? Eat a candy, and see if that helps.....

gakmt
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2015, 11:24 am

You are not alone. I understand the feeling you describe.

Ever since I was a child I have had what I have named "the creepy crawlies". The flesh on my legs, arms and head crawl as though tiny bugs are running around. I describe it as being able to feel and account for each individual hair on my arms legs and head as though they are standing up to be counted. It often happens separate of any identifiable stress trigger but I have basically come to believe its simply sensory overload.

I can have it every day for weeks or not at all for months. However, it seems to occur most often when I am noticeably stressed or deprived of private time for myself, something my family is still struggling with the importance of.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:17 pm

Based on my own experience, I think you may be experiencing periods of general anxiety. It can manifest a bit weird in us aspie types. I noted that one event occured prior to a panic attack.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 1:17 pm

I associate those feelings with not getting enough oxygen (such as in the onset of an asthma attack.) Do you find yourself breathing very shallowly due to the tension of being at work? Breathing fully and slowly for a few minutes might make it go away.

Yarny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2015, 3:25 pm

SoMissunderstood wrote:
What do you do for a living and under what conditions do you work? i.e environmental factors like lighting, ventilation, air conditioning etc?

Is your job very stressful? do you have a high workload or under pressure to complete certain tasks?

What about your workmates? do you get along with them?

Do you enjoy your job?

All of these things need to be considered first before any answer or explanation can be given. Thanks.

I'm a driver at Domino's, so I'm often in my car, which I find enjoyable and relaxing. In store, it's well ventilated (the oven requires its), and I have no issue with the lights, temperature, or any other environmental factors that I'm aware of.

While in the store, I'm definitely pressured to always stay busy. Even when there's nothing left to do and everyone is just standing around, I still have that pressure to do more. Which is why I often go into the bathroom just to avoid any pressure to do things.

Everyone there is nice and seem to like me, for reasons beyond me since I rarely talk.

I enjoy driving. I get to be alone, listen to my music and I'm not pressured at all. Interaction with the customers is very mechanical and scripted, which makes it easy.

arielhawksquill wrote:
I associate those feelings with not getting enough oxygen (such as in the onset of an asthma attack.) Do you find yourself breathing very shallowly due to the tension of being at work? Breathing fully and slowly for a few minutes might make it go away.

No, I haven't noticed any irregularities with my breathing. However, I have noticed my heart rate becomes quite elevated, 100+ beats per minute versus my resting rate of 65-70.

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2015, 9:23 pm

Seems like a case of chronic hyperventilation. Welcome to the club :lol:

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 11:30 am

Could it be carbon monoxide inhalation while sitting in your car, then? Maybe you have an exhaust leak.

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2015, 12:11 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
Could it be carbon monoxide inhalation while sitting in your car, then? Maybe you have an exhaust leak.

Funny,

I work in the security, which mostly consists of driving around, closing buildings in the evening and opening in the morning.. really easy to be honest.

I remember we had a peugeot caddy from some model which i cannot remember. After a few months, some colleagues started to feel light headed and dizzy and could sometimes smell burned diesel. The cars were inspected and my boss thought it was all in our head, there was nothing going on with the cars.

A few weeks later in another region, a colleague started to feel so lightheaded he immediatly went to the emergency room. If he had not done that, he wouldve died due to carbon monoxide poisoning. They would later drive with monoxide detectors in the car because our boss and the garage were still in denial ofcourse

Yarny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2015, 5:11 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:

I'm nearly certain it's not carbon monoxide poisoning. On an average day I spend about 2-3 hours in my car while working, and just 4 months ago I drove cross country, about 26 hours each way. I spent 12 or more hours in the car each day on the trip, and I experienced no ill effects. If it was carbon monoxide poisoning I would expect the effects to be proportional to the duration. The only thing it seems proportional to is time spent working, with things like pressure at work and sleep being major factors. For example, when I had the panic attack there was a big corporation inspection going on at the store, and then I was switched from leaving at 10pm to closing (roughly 3-4am.)

On a side note, the panic attack was, intellectually, quite fascinating. I've been told I'm weird for hoping another one happens, so that I can understand it better. I guess that's the scientist in me, willing to experiment on myself!