Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 8:31 pm

Autistic Self Advocacy Network wrote:
Day of Mourning 2015 Site Coordinator Sign-up

In the past five years, over seventy people with disabilities have been murdered by their parents.

These acts are horrific enough on their own. But they exist in the context of a larger pattern. A parent kills their disabled child. The media portrays these murders as justifiable and inevitable due to the “burden” of having a disabled person in the family. If the parent stands trial, they are given sympathy and comparatively lighter sentences, if they are sentenced at all. The victim is disregarded, blamed for their own murder at the hands of the person they should have been able to trust the most, and ultimately forgotten. And then the cycle repeats.

For the last four years, ASAN, ADAPT, Not Dead Yet, the National Council on Independent Living, the Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund, and other disability rights organizations have come together at local vigils across the country to mourn those losses, bring awareness to these tragedies, and demand justice and equal protection under the law for all people with disabilities....

Autistic Self Advocacy Network
http://action.autisticadvocacy.org/sign ... /vigil2015

There seems to be a lot of vigils planned near many of us.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 6:23 am

Nothing near us.. :|

I do realize it's a sign up page, given I work full time and doing so would likely overload me with anxiety - but it is a thought..