Cops using pictures of actual people for target practice?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:43 pm

Humanaut wrote:
A mugshot is sufficient for single-target practice.

Also unethical but hey...why should the police have any respect for human life.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
Using actual mugshots of people is at least kind of childish and in poor taste IF that's actually what they're doing.

However, targets like these pictured are common stock and represent no specific individuals.

Cberg and Sweetleaf, I don't think you really want Bugs Bunny to saw Florida off of the US. That's a BLUE state with about 30 electoral votes that might be dearly missed by the democrats next November......

And yet Florida keeps electing that human/python hybrid as governor. Go figure. :?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:54 pm

Raptor wrote:
Using actual mugshots of people is at least kind of childish and in poor taste IF that's actually what they're doing.

However, targets like these pictured are common stock and represent no specific individuals.

Cberg and Sweetleaf, I don't think you really want Bugs Bunny to saw Florida off of the US. That's a BLUE state with about 30 electoral votes that might be dearly missed by the democrats next November......

meh...I'm not a democrat so fine by me, I'd be more satisfied when i start seeing states that aren't red or blue. Democrats in this country don't even seem to be like the real 'left' its like they are kinda in the center then the republicans lean further into the right. I guess to me the democrats feel like a fraud, like they tell the left wingers what they want to hear try to suck them all into thinking the democrats actually represent them...when they're just as corrupt and lobbyist influenced as the republicans. Also though even the democrats will promote stupid/oppressive regulations they are the reason much of the time a 16 year old kid can't go buy the CD they want because there is one swear word in a song so it's got that pesky 'explicit content' sticker suppose its irrelevent now that there is the internet so anyone can look up whatever music they like, they also are doing nothing to actively oppose the war on drugs which is one of the major problem causes in this country...so still just as bad as republicans.

As for those pictures those are fine....and actually show an undefined person with a weapon and is an actual target. Unlike what these cops where using which was:Image

Its not even an accurate target for target practice like the ones you posted as an example. Don't see how anyone could argue this is a proper target or that its purpose is for cops to differentiate between threatening and non-threatening targets.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
Also unethical...

According to what moral standard?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:39 pm

Humanaut wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
Also unethical...

The moral standard of cops should have basic respect for human life and not target specific segments of the population or population at large for brutality(which using pictures of specific individuals especially of certain racial groups for instance for target practice certainly does seem to encourage), I don't know what that moral standard is called but seems reasonable.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:53 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
Also unethical...

The moral standard of cops should have basic respect for human life and not target specific segments of the population or population at large for brutality(which using pictures of specific individuals especially of certain racial groups for instance for target practice certainly does seem to encourage), I don't know what that moral standard is called but seems reasonable.

And as I seem to recall, the police have the phrase "to serve and protect" stenciled on the side of their cars. They've forgotten that it's their responsibility to respect the rights of the people more so than anyone else.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 3:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

It is reasonable, but I fail to see how using mugshots for target practice is encouraging such behaviour.

Kraichgauer wrote:
And as I seem to recall, the police have the phrase "to serve and protect" stenciled on the side of their cars. They've forgotten that it's their responsibility to respect the rights of the people more so than anyone else.

Poppycock.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 6:18 pm

Humanaut wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

It is reasonable, but I fail to see how using mugshots for target practice is encouraging such behaviour.

Kraichgauer wrote:

Poppycock.

And how do you figure that?

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 3:54 am

Lack of evidence.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 6:17 am

Humanaut wrote:
Lack of evidence.

I should doubtlessly clarify my statement, as all cops are not violating the rights of citizens, but a significant number clearly are, and they are giving the rest a bad name.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 9:03 am

A significant number? Nonsense.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 11:20 am

cberg wrote:
@Raptor: Bugger off, what makes you think I'm a democrat anyway? My curiosity is piqued. Vermin Supreme is my main man. Once he opposes cannabis prohibition he's got my vote as long as he's still breathing.

I bet you'd rather have a democrat win than a republican which makes you, in effect, a democrat.

Quote:
And those are photos of SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS, just dudes holding unloaded pistols with lines showing the fastest ways to kill them.

They are not mugshots from any specific police dept is what I'm saying. And the objective is not to kill but to neutralize the threat. Neutral can be anywhere from no longer posing an immediate threat to stone dead, but not necessarily dead.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 11:32 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Raptor wrote:

meh...I'm not a democrat so fine by me, I'd be more satisfied when i start seeing states that aren't red or blue. Democrats in this country don't even seem to be like the real 'left' its like they are kinda in the center then the republicans lean further into the right. I guess to me the democrats feel like a fraud, like they tell the left wingers what they want to hear try to suck them all into thinking the democrats actually represent them...when they're just as corrupt and lobbyist influenced as the republicans. Also though even the democrats will promote stupid/oppressive regulations they are the reason much of the time a 16 year old kid can't go buy the CD they want because there is one swear word in a song so it's got that pesky 'explicit content' sticker suppose its irrelevent now that there is the internet so anyone can look up whatever music they like, they also are doing nothing to actively oppose the war on drugs which is one of the major problem causes in this country...so still just as bad as republicans.

But I bet if you had to choose between democrat and republican you'd choose democrat, even grudgingly. I have issues with the GOP but that's usually how I vote because, to me, they are the lesser evil and nothing more.

Quote:
As for those pictures those are fine....and actually show an undefined person with a weapon and is an actual target. Unlike what these cops where using which was:Image

Its not even an accurate target for target practice like the ones you posted as an example. Don't see how anyone could argue this is a proper target or that its purpose is for cops to differentiate between threatening and non-threatening targets.

I don't approve of what they were doing but I can see why they did; out of frustration. My response would be to tell them to get into another line of work that's not so frustrating for them......

Not only that but by shooting those mug shots and leaving them to be found, if they ever are involved in a shooting with any of the actual people in the mugshots, any attorney could have a field day and claim that the shooting was premeditated.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 11:52 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:

And yet Florida keeps electing that human/python hybrid as governor. Go figure. :?

Yes, but that's internal to Florida and has nothing to do with anyone outside. The only concern a densely populated blue state should have to you is it's value in terms of electoral votes. For without those votes, you and yours could be facing 4-8 years of a Sith or Third Reich type of administration that you all writhed under during the Bush years.

In contrast, hate-filled conservatives such as myself would be much better off if Bugs Bunny sawed California and Florida off, but we would not want to see him saw Texas off and shove it off into the gulf.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 12:12 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Yes, but that's internal to Florida and has nothing to do with anyone outside. The only concern a densely populated blue state should have to you is it's value in terms of electoral votes. For without those votes, you and yours could be facing 4-8 years of a Sith or Third Reich type of administration that you all writhed under during the Bush years.

In contrast, hate-filled conservatives such as myself would be much better off if Bugs Bunny sawed California and Florida off, but we would not want to see him saw Texas off and shove it off into the gulf.

I'm pretty certain Obama still would have handily beaten Romney, even without Florida.
And if Bugs could saw off Florida, I'm willing to bet he could manage the same thing with Texas. :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 12:16 pm

Humanaut wrote:
A significant number? Nonsense.

Tell that to Otto Zehm, a schizophrenic man who had been beaten to death by a Spokane police officer, who then was given a standing salute by his fellow officers upon being convicted of murder. That convicted cop, and his dickish coworkers certainly fit the bill.