Being born a human means feeling miserable about existing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 1:54 am

A great deal of the time? If you watch the news often, seems so. What is it about existing that pains the human psyche so?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 9:09 am

you seem to be a cool guy who posts interesting topics, always looking for truth.

What news stories are you referring to?

Do you mean violence or suicide stories?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 9:18 am

As seen in other threads, I'm not religious. But I do think the Book of Genesis works really well as metaphor. Adam and Eve being cast out of the Garden of Eden because they ate fruit from the Tree of Knowledge is given as the explanation for what it is about existence that pains the human psyche. This works excellently as a metaphor.

Metaphorically, we really did eat fruit from the Tree of Knowledge when our brains got more complex. This increased complexity gave us the ability to take actions that would help us survive in a variety of environments (like surviving the cold without fur :wink: ). But it also gave us the ability to worry about the future, regret the past, and be anguished about the present even if we aren't in physical pain. A bear with his paw caught in a bear trap will be anguished about the present because of the physical pain and he will try very hard to get out of it. A human caught in the same trap will also regret the past ("I should never have walked behind that tree") and worry about the future ("I'll die out here if I can't get out of this trap"). The movie 127 Hours perfectly illustrates the human capacity to stress about past and future simultaneous to present physical pain. It also shows how this enhanced mental ability lets us think up solutions for escaping these situations alive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/127_Hours

Other animal can feel grief at losing those they love.
http://www.pawnation.com/2012/07/31/10-heartbreaking-animal-mourning-rituals/ (warning, sad)

But humans take it to the next level by thinking about the future after that. And we also grieve about things that haven't happened yet but probably will, such as a parent grieving for their drug addicted child who is heading towards overdose death.

We suffer so much because we are so darn good at thinking about possibilities both good and bad and ruminating on the past and worrying about the future and stressing ourselves out about abstractions (such as religion). A dog will grieve her lost puppy. A mother will grieve her lost son but add on a level of suffering for herself with the abstract idea that he is now burning in hell because he was gay and there is nothing she can do to stop that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 11:43 am

I think "Ana" is a woman.

Human existence runs the gamut, from the Abysmal to the Sublime.

Our jobs, as humans, is to create for ourselves a decent perspective on things.

I don't feel miserable about existing, frankly--do I do feel miserable about my circumstances at times.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 12:53 pm

The Buddha said something similar.

But it was more along the line of life being unsatisfactory and showing how to overcome this, in this lifetime, by following The Noble Eightfold Path.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 1:31 pm

slenkar wrote:
you seem to be a cool guy who posts interesting topics, always looking for truth.

What news stories are you referring to?

Do you mean violence or suicide stories?

I am not a guy unless you are using a general form of address as in, "hey you guys." Thanks for the compliment though. I do not think like most women, so I have been told, so I can see why you would think that.

I notice as of late, the media is in hyperdrive when it comes to complaining, doomsday, financial collapse, violence. Just watch Fox sometimes, you will see nothing but complaining and blaming others.

Seriously. Settle down and enjoy life. It really isn't that bad.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 1:38 pm

The truth of the matter is humans spend too much time being still and thinking instead of moving and actually PHYSICALLY DOING SOMETHING IN REAL FLESH AND BLOOD LIFE.

HUMAN MISERY is mostly an ILLUSION, A construct of abstract human language, collective intelligence, and increasingly complex and truly insane cultures to make large societies of humans ordered for humans who are only evolved to connect to about 150 to 200 sets of close knit socially cooperative SHARING eyes FOR basic subsistence and survival.

To live in now is to move baby move and ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING IN THE THREE DIMENSIONAL WORLD THAT IS REAL.

THE ANSWER is so dam simple it is almost laughable that folks cannot see it.

But many people never move enough, for the most part these days, and actually create something they can touch in sensory, and feel in emotional ways they CAN know makes a difference in the world moment by moment to ever even truly live in NOW.

A fantasy world is where many people spend their life, never truly even being here for NOW.

And sure it is misery, AS any primitive so-called living person COULD SHOW one WHY.

Could one see it, not likely, as is the case for most folks who are brainwashed through torture or just complex culture as is.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 1:51 pm

Janissy wrote:
As seen in other threads, I'm not religious. But I do think the Book of Genesis works really well as metaphor. Adam and Eve being cast out of the Garden of Eden because they ate fruit from the Tree of Knowledge is given as the explanation for what it is about existence that pains the human psyche. This works excellently as a metaphor.

Metaphorically, we really did eat fruit from the Tree of Knowledge when our brains got more complex. This increased complexity gave us the ability to take actions that would help us survive in a variety of environments (like surviving the cold without fur :wink: ). But it also gave us the ability to worry about the future, regret the past, and be anguished about the present even if we aren't in physical pain. A bear with his paw caught in a bear trap will be anguished about the present because of the physical pain and he will try very hard to get out of it. A human caught in the same trap will also regret the past ("I should never have walked behind that tree") and worry about the future ("I'll die out here if I can't get out of this trap"). The movie 127 Hours perfectly illustrates the human capacity to stress about past and future simultaneous to present physical pain. It also shows how this enhanced mental ability lets us think up solutions for escaping these situations alive.

http://www.pawnation.com/2012/07/31/10-heartbreaking-animal-mourning-rituals/ (warning, sad)

But humans take it to the next level by thinking about the future after that. And we also grieve about things that haven't happened yet but probably will, such as a parent grieving for their drug addicted child who is heading towards overdose death.

We suffer so much because we are so darn good at thinking about possibilities both good and bad and ruminating on the past and worrying about the future and stressing ourselves out about abstractions (such as religion). A dog will grieve her lost puppy. A mother will grieve her lost son but add on a level of suffering for herself with the abstract idea that he is now burning in hell because he was gay and there is nothing she can do to stop that.

I totally get what you are saying here. I have thought that myself. It's the thinking that often causes the pain that other species do not seem to experience. They just do what they do. Humans don't like what humans do and are apt to criticize relentlessly. Some of the more social species are a bit more like humans, as in, they will punish individuals who do wrong but none of them impose this idea that they cannot eat what they want. Humans are the only ones who do that. The only time other species do this is when the dominant one wants to eat first and get the choice cuts of meat but it's got nothing to do with the fact it's meat and not a vegetable.

Also, humans became aware they are naked after eating from the tree of knowledge which suggested they might have been covered with fur. I like the idea humans did wrong so God took their fur as punishment because I think everything looks better in their own natural fur, except for chimpanzees who are a lot like us, genetically. Chimpanzees were not blessed with nice fur, either. Their hair seems coarse and unappealing.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 1:59 pm

I don't think the world is miserable, I do feel miserable at times and that I have bad luck but I do feel so happy at other times it just depends on your circumstances and your attitude towards life, there are so many things that I like and enjoy in this world

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 3:26 pm

Its because we are all slaves, sure we might be given a few paper tokens at the end of the month to exchange for food and shelter, whereas in the old days, slaves would be given these things without the token farce.

Even fly's have a better life, you don't see them having to get up at five every morning to go to the same boring place to do the same mundane task year after year.
They get up.fly around, sit in the sun, eat s**t, then fly around your light bulb meeting other fly's to shag.

I did read in one of those old Bible books that got left out, Jasper or some-such, that Adam and Eve kept committing suicide after being evicted from the garden of Eden because they could see what a crap life lay ahead for them and their children. God had to keep bringing them back to life.
Maybe that's why are sexual desire is so strong, who wants to birth children just to suffer as we have unless we cannot stop ourselves.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 3:39 pm

Nambo wrote:
Its because we are all slaves, sure we might be given a few paper tokens at the end of the month to exchange for food and shelter, whereas in the old days, slaves would be given these things without the token farce.

Even fly's have a better life, you don't see them having to get up at five every morning to go to the same boring place to do the same mundane task year after year.
They get up.fly around, sit in the sun, eat s**t, then fly around your light bulb meeting other fly's to shag.

I did read in one of those old Bible books that got left out, Jasper or some-such, that Adam and Eve kept committing suicide after being evicted from the garden of Eden because they could see what a crap life lay ahead for them and their children. God had to keep bringing them back to life.
Maybe that's why are sexual desire is so strong, who wants to birth children just to suffer as we have unless we cannot stop ourselves.

That's what I don't understand. Why do people feel the need to enslave one another? I have never had that desire, to make another my personal slave, but I have been around people who think my entire life should revolve around them.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 3:50 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
That's what I don't understand. Why do people feel the need to enslave one another? I have never had that desire, to make another my personal slave, but I have been around people who think my entire life should revolve around them.

Cause some people are mean and greedy, and they like lots of free money that other people earn for them.
When God comes back he says he is going to reverse the situation so that the high become low, and the low become high, but even then, like you, I wouldn't be able to do it back to them,l I would feel guilty and tell them to take the day off and go to the beach.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 3:55 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
What is it about existing that pains the human psyche so?

Meaninglessness.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm

Humans love drama.
Drama sells news.
Happy news is rarely dramatic enough.

At a deeper level, we have always searched for meaning in events - personal meaning and wider meaning.
If our diet of information is all bad news, then 'meaning' takes on a bad slant.
Circumstances, and our ability/inability to rise above, greatly influences personal events.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 5:45 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Janissy wrote:

I totally get what you are saying here. I have thought that myself. It's the thinking that often causes the pain that other species do not seem to experience. They just do what they do. Humans don't like what humans do and are apt to criticize relentlessly. Some of the more social species are a bit more like humans, as in, they will punish individuals who do wrong but none of them impose this idea that they cannot eat what they want. Humans are the only ones who do that. The only time other species do this is when the dominant one wants to eat first and get the choice cuts of meat but it's got nothing to do with the fact it's meat and not a vegetable.

Also, humans became aware they are naked after eating from the tree of knowledge which suggested they might have been covered with fur. I like the idea humans did wrong so God took their fur as punishment because I think everything looks better in their own natural fur, except for chimpanzees who are a lot like us, genetically. Chimpanzees were not blessed with nice fur, either. Their hair seems coarse and unappealing.

Hmm.. well.. if the removal of human fur is punishment from GOD from eating that Apple.. NOW.. with all my fur STILL in tow.. i guess my ancestors must have avoided that apple somehow-way down the ancestral line..;)

Some women like my fur and some do not.. I guess it just depends...:)

But my wife likes it.. and.. overall.. that's enough for me....

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 5:48 pm

Narrator wrote:
Humans love drama.
Drama sells news.
Happy news is rarely dramatic enough.

At a deeper level, we have always searched for meaning in events - personal meaning and wider meaning.
If our diet of information is all bad news, then 'meaning' takes on a bad slant.
Circumstances, and our ability/inability to rise above, greatly influences personal events.

YES.. generally speaking.. the GLASS half FULL.. is one GREAT religion to adhere too..:)

It works for me better than ever.. as now my chalice continues to overflow.. even on others.. at least in real life STUFF FOR now..:)