Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Twilight823
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Mar 2007, 10:28 pm

Hello, I'm new here, and I am not quite sure if I'm an 'aspie' or not. My mother and i were completely ignorant of this syndrome until a friend of mine was diagnosed and told me to look into it. Unluckily, the day i found out about this syndrome my father passed away, so trying to gain a diagnosis from my psychologist has proven to be a difficult task. He seems to be more concerned with helping me 'grieve' which is odd because I'm not sad in the least bit. I'm 16 years old, and I've always been an 'outcast.' I've never shown my true emotions like a normal person, instead I do things like bite or suck on the right side of my lip when happy (my father use to joke saying "Oh my...someone call the police someone stole Krissy's bottom lip"), bite my left thumb when angered, bite my right thumb when overwhelmed (such as when someone is asking too many questions, there's too much noise, or too many people), bite my left side of my tongue when i am nervous, ect. As for my social life, well I only have what are considered friends because my brothers are the 'cool kids', and i was forced to socialize by being dragged to baseball games, forced into ballet, and girl scouts. My few friends I've known since literally birth, and I speak to them once a month or so. School has always been hell for me. Academically, I'm brilliant. I miss an average of 100 days per year and I still manage to be 1-2 years ahead on every subject, but socially school was hell. In elementary school, i would have my mother pick me up during lunch so i would not have to interact with the children during lunch time. In middle school, I would throw my infamous tantrums in the middle of the parking lot, screaming "I HATE SCHOOL! Don't make me go Please!" and I would swing at the principle when he would come out and literally carry me to my first hour. Over the years, it has become worse, to the point where i am now dropping. To me, the telephone is the most confusing object in the world. I never know when to speak, and i refuse to talk on it. I have oversensitive ears, and an oversensitive sense of touch. Just to be sadistic, my brothers love to touch me lightly to watch me twitch. I also carry Play-Doh around with me because i love the texture. I started speaking at the age of 4 months, and i was using full sentences by the age of 6 months. Although I started early I was put into speech class for 6 years because I could not control the tempo of my voice, and i stuttered a lot. When i was young i would throw tantrums, well i still do throw them where i would bang my head on the ground until i passed out or got what i wanted. I've shown my brothers the diagnostic criteria of asperger's and according to them i do everything on the list, but my mother of course as soon as she found out that AS is considered part of the autistic spectrum started denying everything. Such as the tantrums i spoke about when i bring those up its "haha honey thats what we call spoiled kid syndrome." I come off as nice but the truth is i don't really care about other peoples problems. Curiosity runs my life, and i think of people as 'science experiments' Its a process I've used since i can remember to find out what people are thinking. 1) If able apply background knowledge about said person. Such as 'quirks' i have learned about my family, and make a hypothesis. 2) ask "how are you?" listen to their answer, and start asking why questions. 3) when enough data is collected to come up with an answer to how they feel, say something. 4) Make a conclusion about how that 'something' affected their mood, and make a mental note. I apologize if this sounds confusing I do not know how to explain it. I take things much too seriously, sarcasm is one of my worse enemy, i also loathe verbal instructions. My grandfather has OCD and every time he comes over i must work. His instructions are so broad though. "take the trash can to the side of the house" "*in my mind* Which trash can? the one we put garbage in or the one we put compost in? which side of the house the right, the left, back or front? well its in the front so it must be the left side right or back" I will stand there for close to 5 minutes pondering what he meant but my brother needs to hear the instructions once and he knows automatically what to do. It baffles me. I've taken many online tests to see if i do have asperger's and they seem to be pointing to it (aspie score of 177, AQ score of 49, EQ of 4, SQ of 57) of course i will never claim to have anything until a doctor tells me i have it. I am positive that i do have social anxiety though. I seem to be ranting again. Anyways thank you, this place seems wonderful and hopefully it will help me find the answers I'm looking for.

Aspie_for_the_Lord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 11:21 pm

i think you will get on great here ( you have similar quirks to me :P ) :D , welcome to WP...

by the way i dont suppose you could help me with somthing?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... highlight=

go to this link and answer the questions.

i hope you find what you need here at WP

Aspie_for_the_Lord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 11:23 pm

i did a paper on AS you might like to read, if you are interested - message me on here

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 3:01 am

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 4:20 am

Welcome,

Around here we call people like you moderates.

I do wish you would express yourself and tell us something about yourself.

The world is wrong, you are right, welcome to the playground.

I have always avoided people, and I hang out here.

Not sure what they are, but not annoying.

Enigma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2007, 8:01 am

Hello and welcome to WP,you sound just like me,my time at school was horrid too,getting bullied and teased for being different to others.
I have oversensitive hearing as well,things like dogs barking and sirens really get to me.When an emergency vehicle goes past I stand with my fingers in my ears trying to ignore what other people think of me.
I hope your life is better now than it was.Do you work or study?

Twilight823
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2007, 12:29 pm

Thank you! What does 'moderate' mean? I'm horrible with slang, which is pretty bad considering I live in an area that is run by Ebonics. HAHA My last name is pronounced 'yo', trust mean it is considerably annoying when you hear "Yo! what's up?", and you can't figure out who the person is talking to. I would love to tell you more about myself, just can you be a little more specific and give me some guide lines? As for my education right now, my family is being wonderful, and is going to pay for me to take online classes. Hopefully, that will let me graduate and move on to my future.

Enigma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2007, 4:10 pm

Good to hear your family are supporting you.Online classes can be good for aspies because there is less contact with other students.I'm doing one at the moment.What are your hobbies?

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 7:10 pm

Hi, welcome. Like your introduction. I am no expert, but you do seem to fit the criteria for Aspergers pretty strongly. What are your interests ?

Twilight823
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2007, 8:32 pm

Hobbies and interest? Umm I adore sharks, I will literally sit at the computer for hours reading about them, and watching videos of them. The day the video of the frilled shark was captured was one of the most exciting days of my life. I must have watched that video a thousand times. I also love researching ancient Egypt, and ancient Greek scientist. Of course, I have always had a fascination with animals (mostly megafauna). At the moment I only have a Maltese puppy, a black lab, and a ferret though. And yes, online classes are wonderful, no people, no loud noises, just peace and quiet. I just wished they did not cost so much.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 7:19 am

Twilight823,

Just middle of the road, so watch the traffic. You do sound like you belong here, keep posting, more shark people around. I get lost in history.

RichardL
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2007, 5:11 pm

Hi Twilight, welcome to WP. 8)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2007, 4:30 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!
We hope you like it here!

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2007, 5:01 pm

Welcome to WP,remember to psot,never post and if you hate mainstream culture and conformity,please join the church of mainstream-culture haters and together we can destroy rap and pop music,bratz dolls and everything else that is inappropriate.