Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2015, 2:18 pm

I can't find a link to the specific story, but earlier today I was listening to a segment on NPR about social conformity and "contagion" - basically degrees of imitating the social behaviors of other people. The story discussed the example of an old "Candid Camera" episode that featured a man getting on an elevator. Unbeknownst to him, other people were sent onto the elevator with him. The "plants" both faced the back of the elevator instead of getting on and turning to face the door as most people do. Additional people got on the elevator and did the same thing. The unsuspecting victim of the show at first looked puzzled, but eventually turned to face the back of the elevator like the other people.

The NPR segment said this was a result of social conformity. When another "victim" saw that others removed their hats (this must have been an old show), he did the same almost immediately. The guests on NPR said this was contagion - an instinctive imitation done as one follows the actions of a group. The host said something along the lines of "and this is what YOU do, too!"

I'm guessing I may not be alone here in saying that, as a general rule, I'm very resistant to following whatever people do if I'm not inclined to imitate the behavior. I have to see some logical advantage to altering my habits, other than "this is what everyone else is doing." An example of this is my insistence of traveling on the right through sets of double doors. I've noticed that streams of people will all go through the wrong door if others set the pattern. I'm the guy who will ignore the person holding the door on the left, and instead pass through the correct door to the right. Occasionally, I will suppress my instincts out of politeness (and deference to the weak minded), but most often I choose the correct (right) door.

I could cite many more examples, but I think that for at least some people with ASD, the NPR host was dead wrong on this issue.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 6:25 pm

A psycho-pathologist would call your lack of conformity a symptom of AS. I call it freedom from the mob mentality. It is one of the many strengths that come with having AS, although it infuriates people who are obsessed with social order, rules, and customs.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm

mind viruses.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 7:35 am

There is an element of imitation that we use to fit in, even Aspies who are trying to adjust their own behavior to look more normal.

In situations like removing one's hat, I don't see how it is giving into mob mentality to "join the crowd" when it is a seemingly harmless behavior.

I think the issue really involves the question "Does one *think* about *why* one is participating in a behavior before joining in?" If I see everyone removing their hats and say to myself, "I guess I'm expected to remove my hat. It doesn't seem to be a bad thing to do, so I will remove my hat", then no big deal.

But, if like another poster described, a door is held open on the wrong side, I realize that continuing this pattern of behavior could lead to some negative consequences, I will not follow suit just because everyone is doing it.

(I also have refused going in the wrong door when it's been held open for me.) I know now that comes off as pretty rude. Depending on the situation, now, I may or may not accept the door held open for me.