Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jan 2015, 3:34 pm

I was in a(nother) car accident a few weeks ago. I was already pretty terrified of cars and had some mild anxiety, but it's been awful since then. Luckily, I'm back at school and take the train everywhere, so I rarely have to deal with riding in a car right now, but I have nightmares every night. Not bad dreams, just normal dreams where I'm sobbing inconsolably and no one notices. Last night I was even trembling in my sleep, it woke me up a few times. I'm exhausted, and I can't even workout because I was injured in the accident. I can't go out to relax because I don't know anyone at this new school and I'm trying to stay off my leg until it's better. And I find myself impulsively telling my family to "drive safe" every single time I talk to them and asking them not to go out driving if they don't have to. My eating has gone to s**t, too. I just keep thinking bingeing will make me feel better, or I don't feel like eating at all.

I'm not sure what to do to make myself feel better, do you have any suggestions?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 4:17 am

Are there any supportive people in your life?

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2015, 6:01 pm

unfortunately not. certainly not my family, there was so much berating that happened after the accident, no one even considered the fact that it was, you know, a life-threatening experience.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 6:14 pm

Ok. I'm sorry that happened to you. The number one need is to find a safe person who can offer support in a respectful way. This may be a counsellor - they are best trained to listen thoughtfully without agendas of their own. You need to connect with a safe mature person who can support and validate your experience. That's the number one priority.

Validation, support, respect and time are a healing recipe for what you have been through, and this must occur with a SAFE person who can be trusted.