Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:13 pm

I've always had a problem with the term self-advocate. I couldn't exactly say why. I think I now know my issue with that term. They only ever use it in disability politics. They never use it for gay or black people.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:33 pm

I think the term was specifically designed for the disability rights movement, not other movements. But I can see how it could sound a little patronizing.

Maybe it refers to not just standing up for yourself against discrimination, but letting people know what sorts of accommodations you need? That would explain why it isn't applied to gay and black people, since they don't need any accommodations, they just need to not be discriminated against.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 4:42 pm

TheAP wrote:
I think the term was specifically designed for the disability rights movement, not other movements. But I can see how it could sound a little patronizing.

Maybe it refers to not just standing up for yourself against discrimination, but letting people know what sorts of accommodations you need? That would explain why it isn't applied to gay and black people, since they don't need any accommodations, they just need to not be discriminated against.

I don't really think I need too many accommodations. I feel uncomfortable when people change their behavior because they see me as different.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2015, 1:32 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I've always had a problem with the term self-advocate. I couldn't exactly say why. I think I now know my issue with that term. They only ever use it in disability politics. They never use it for gay or black people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-advocacy

You're right, it's only used in disability circles. The majority aren't disabled, therefore, it's not an accurate term for AS people.

Well, what terminology do gay and black, self, advocates use?