Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

troubled
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2015, 5:41 pm

I have a job that forces me to make a lot of connections both inside and outside my industry to get ahead. Sometimes, I meet people that I know I will need help from in the future, and I don't have a problem going up to them and saying hi or that "I just wanted to meet you." But the problem is what to do after that. The other person will say hi back and then then they expect me to say something more. Even if I ask about family, what projects they've got going on, etc, things just don't seem to click. Any suggestions?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 6:09 pm

It doesn't seem like you're too unsuccessful; after all, you still have a job.

If I were actually with you, I could offer better suggestions.

I would just try to find out what the person is interested in personally, and business-wise. I would make sure I acknowledge anything that the person says, and remember what the person says. A great thing to talk about, like you said, is family. Also: you could ask the person where he/she is from. Imagine if you were there/grew up there?

elliot87
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2015, 5:30 pm

My sales experience would say ask them heaps of qualifying questions. Gaining rapport from being an expert who can help with their needs.

An expert doesn't waste time asking about your holiday, an experts time is valuable. Which means spending more time with people who would benefit from your product and not trying to turn non buyers into buyers

I have no idea if this would apply to networking.